Israeli Army Watch?

tvdilbert

Newly Enlightened
In my searching on Luminox information, I found an "Israeli Army Watch," as seen here: LA Police Gear Anybody familiar with this watch? I haven't heard anything about it... how reliable, durable, well made it is, or how accurate the motion is. I saw someone mention it on a forum yesterday, but only the name, and I can't remember which forum!

I've now found the watch on www.meprolight.com (with different markings and color) and by searching for "ADI watches"...

So apparently it is made in Israel and does have tritium vials. I can't confirm that this particular watch is made of titanium, nor can I find any information re: accuracy or reliability.

What's killing me is that this watch has the looks and the proprtions I want, the features (rotating bezel, tritium vials, water resistance), and as a bonus it's titanium. All that at a great price -- but I am loath to trust an item over the internet that I've heard nothing about. I'd just drop it, but it's too close to what I want. Does anybody have any information on this piece?

- Jon -

tadbik

Enlightened
Israel is famous for many things, but watches aren't one of them. Adi watches (http://www.adiwatches.co.il/) are made on a Kibbutz, as far as I know, from imported parts. Having said that, many young people who are joining the army have Adi watches. I suppose they are good value for money. The LA gear web site gives the impression that ADI watches are made for the Israeli army. Watches are not standard issue in the IDF.

Dave (IDF ret.)

AlecGold

Enlightened
perhaps you can look for a Tracer watch, these look identical to Luminox, but without the sealpics etc.
I bought the basic model with a velcro strap and a glasfiber reinforced polymere house. (the same stuff as Glock's plastic).
The only problem I have with this plastic house is because I often carry quite heavy backpacks. Wehn I swing the pack on my back the watch often jams behind a shoulderband. Last week this resulted in the plastic deformation and an loose pin (which keeps the velcro strap to the watch). I use seconds-dry glue to fix it. It was a bit of a dissapointment, but the fix works so well I glued now all 4 points of the pins. The tritium vials scared me: the first night I wore this watch I woke up at 4am. I looked around and saw a green glow just next to me. Took me at least 30 seconds to realise it was the watch.
Traser also has a titanium watch, so deformtation shouldn't be any problem.
www.traser.com T5002 is the titanium model, with Stainles or silicon strap.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
I saw that Israeli Army watch on the LAPOLICEGEAR web site also. It's a pretty cool looking watch, but I would be nervous about it too with not knowing anything about it. I ordered a Luminox Marine stainless with a silver face from them instead. The Luminox have proven themselves to be good watches, plus lapolicegear gives you a 2 year warranty on them. I chose the marine series because it doesn't have all the goofy Navy Seal markings all over it. Just the simple Luminox logo under the 12:00 position. It's a sharp looking watch. Oh, BTW, they had the best price I found too.

tvdilbert

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All,

Tadbik, your post was especially helpful. Some of the parts on that watch were very similar to Seiko dive watches -- I'm thinking they use the same source for parts.

Alec, The models of Luminox I've also been considering are fairly clean. The 3202, 3602, and 1590 are all free of the Navy SEALs markings, at least on the face. Unfortunately, no one model is exactly what I want, so I'm trying to pick which one best fits what I'm looking for.

Gadgetnut, I'm considering that same watch, with a black face. Luminox was what I was originally doing research on, and I happened to come across the Israeli watch on eBay. It piqued my interest, but information on it was scarce. However, from what I've learned, I think I'll be passing on it and going with a Luminox instead.

- Jon -

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tvdilbert said:
....I think I'll be passing on it and going with a Luminox instead.
- Jon -

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll regret it. I love my Luminox.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulldog and a few others can get you a great price on the titanium Luminox. I thought about the Israeli watch as I believe it's the same movement, but I'd rather have the Luminox.

I have the Stealth model with leather band (with NATO as well) and the all titanium model. I reccomend the all metal versions as a good friend busted his plastic one--the weakest point should not be the watch body!

-Jason

BobVA

Enlightened
You can also get a no-logo military style dial for the 3001 and similar series Luminoxes from Bill Yao at Mark II watches. It just has the radiation "propeller" emblem and "H3" (tritium) on it. Very clean.

I kept my eye out for a deal on a whacky color dial, then ordered a Mark II dial for it. Installing it is this weekend's project.

Some of the oddball dial colors (red, tan, blue) are hard to unload so you can occasionally pick them up cheap.

Cheers,
Bob

mrorange

Newly Enlightened
I have a Bill Yao converted Luminox 3001 and love it. I sold my first 3001 because I couldn't stand the huge logo on the face....

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing says I'm a looser more than "look, Ma, I'm a Navy Seal!"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Ask around on MWR and TimeZone and you may pick up a used Luminox fairly cheap and you can send it off to Bill.

-Jason

Mike75

Newly Enlightened
No such thing exists...
They (ADI) do make watches for Israeli Air force though...
But those have nothing to do with what you're talking about.
I'm not sure that tritium watches are made in Israel at all...

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The watch is probably Swiss partys assembled in Israel. meprolight has a very good reputation for tritium weapon sights. I doubt it would be a problem. take a watch case and pop in the movement, dial and ship it out the door. I doubt they are assembling the whole movement.