Surefire M3 vs M4

CLBME

Enlightened
Good afternoon,

I currently have a M3, which I really enjoy in its stock incan' form. I'm considering a M4...............is the M4's beam considerably different compared to the M3 in terms of throw? I've read several threads comparing it to the M6 but not the M3. I'm thinking that the M4 is more of a thrower or is that not accurate?

ETA- I realize that the M3 is a 125/225 lumen light and that the M4 is a 225/350 lumen light. So maybe I should ask if both are running a 225 LA is the beam different in terms of throw or is the M4's strength simply more lumens in the 350 LA?

I hope that makes sense..........

Thanks.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M4 is SF's furthest throwing normal stock incan. It out throws the M6. This is due mainly to the bulb design. There is a HUGE difference when comparing the LOLA of both the M3 and the M4. If you want a portable incan searchlight, the M4 is very hard to beat. If I had to choose between dumping my M6 or my M4 first, the M6 would be the one to go.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan of the M3 and the M4. They are really apples & oranges, however. M3 is bright, easy to holster and handle. The M4 has a beautiful beam of light with great balance and comfortable to hold. The M4 will definitely out-throw the M3. I have several of each in different "flavors." I have a SW01 on several of the two lights and highly recommend the SW01, but they are increasingly difficult to find. Neither the M3 nor the M4 came with a SW01. You will really enjoy the M4.

CLBME

Enlightened
Good morning HotWire- thanks for the reply. I've been keeping an eye out for a SWO1 however I've yet to find one that I wanted to spend the money on, as they're not given away are they?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Good morning HotWire- thanks for the reply. I've been keeping an eye out for a SWO1 however I've yet to find one that I wanted to spend the money on, as they're not given away are they?

At this point, just that SW01 alone would probably go for more than an entire M3, and be tougher to source....

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They both are really cool looking as well.

I got a user M4 with a SW02, FM24 diffuser, and Lumens Factory HO-M4A lamp. I take this camping. It's my WTF was that light! If you can find one, get a N62 LA. 500 Surefire lumens for 10 minutes. Yikes!

The MN11 LA for the M3 is my favorite.

Last edited:

CLBME

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm still trying to find an M4 I can afford at the moment! :)

surefire M4 + 17670's +lumens factory HO-M3T lamp = perfection

They both are really cool looking as well.

I got a user M4 with a SW02, FM24 diffuser, and Lumens Factory HO-M4A lamp. I take this camping. It's my WTF was that light! If you can find one, get a N62 LA. 500 Surefire lumens for 10 minutes. Yikes!

The MN11 LA for the M3 is my favorite.

ASheep

Enlightened

+1 to this!

My M4 in this configuration is my "bump in the night" light, while my M6 sits in its box on the shelf for occasional showing off. Where the M6 is an awesome piece of kit, great fun, and incredibly bright; the M4 has better balance, better throw,better usability, better runtime, and is just far more practical!

To reiterate AOW's statement: "If I had to choose between dumping my M6 or my M4 first, the M6 would be the one to go."

I picked mine up in NIB condition from the Marketplace some time ago, they do turn up occasionally. Keep an eye out, and snap one up!

Cheers,
Alex

gravelrash

Enlightened
Just curious - what do you all like about this setup? Runtime? Output? Beam?

And why not the EO-M3T?

I have an M4 I recently bought with no box or accessories. I'm looking for a good configuration for this light, and it sounds like y'all have found it.

T45

Enlightened
At this point, just that SW01 alone would probably go for more than an entire M3, and be tougher to source....

the occasional auction on ebay for a "surefire weaponlight" will have a unit with either the SW01 or SW01 mounted on it, and sometimes for a really great price. I have seen the winning bid be $100 for the entire unit. Keep the tailcap and sell/trade the body and other parts. Now that I have a M3 with a Malkoff MD10 LED, I am seriously considering adding a M4 with a Malkoff LED.

Decisions, decisions......

ASheep

Enlightened

And why not the EO-M3T?

I have an M4 I recently bought with no box or accessories. I'm looking for a good configuration for this light, and it sounds like y'all have found it.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but the HO-M3T has a smaller filament than the EO-M3T, so it throws a more concentrated beam, even though it has a slightly lower output. The runtime is about 1/3 longer too. Basically, better bulb life, better throw, better runtime at the expense of a few lumens.

With this setup you can't really go wrong!

Cheers,
Alex

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to go out again and compare, but when using the MN15 or MN60 in my M3T and M4, the M4 definetly has more light output than the 3, but I seem to recall the M3 out-throwing the 4.

Looks like next time I order some parts I'll have to invest in some LF bulbs from the 'hound.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

And why not the EO-M3T?

runtime and throw are better.

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
The MN60 (the bulb of the M4) is probably the best SF incan out there, in regards to a "nice beam". My M4 out-throws my M6, if only because the pattern of the MN60.

Have you tried the LF HO-M4 bulb? Curious to your opinion if you have.