Thanks to the great theads on this forum I bought a 4sevens quark AA turbo about a year ago and love it. I have been trying to find what headlight to buy but can't quite figure it out.
My needs [wants].
- The light will be mainly used for setting up camp, cooking, in tents etc in snow or at a normal camp site
- priority is flood, not spot
- a few brightness levels
- weather resistant (snow / rain)
- Run on AA preferably (same as the 4sevens so I don't have to take multiple types of spare battery), or AAA
- batteries to be part of the light (no wires to a seperate battery pack)
- budget, less than $60 would be nice... but I am flexible.
Now for the hard bit. In astronomy, people are placed in shallow graves if they turn a white light on if there are some hard core astronomy people around. I need a light that does not toggle through white modes to get to the red and one that I am not likely to hit the wrong button and blind people with white light.
My perfect light would have one set of switches for the red, and one set for the white. Or a red lense that can be installed with minimum effort (without taking the light off my head).
The Petezel Tactikka XP looks close to what I need, but it looks like it is built for throw, then you toggle to red by sliding the filter across. If there is a flood version, then I think this would be pretty close to what I need. Anyone know of some others I should look at?