which is better folding knives company?

• SOG

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • COLD STEEL

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Which is better folding knives company? SOG or Cold Steel?
I want a really sharp knife,with quick/assisted opening,that can be used by left handed person,and a knife I will not need to sharp after any using (because I am not have any sharp equipment and I am not know how to sharpen a knife...)
thanks advance ;)

Coup de Grace

Newly Enlightened
Over the last few years, I've seen Cold Steel's work get better and better since the utilization of Demko's Tri-AD on most of their models. But since Cold Steel do not have any assisted openers, they do not meet your criteria.
I'm not a fan of SOG though, I've gotta say.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Spyderco...

I have SOG, and they are okay... But nothing to me beats the percision of a well crafted Spyderco.

0d94cb7e.jpg

Sent from my LTE 64GB iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Over the last few years, I've seen Cold Steel's work get better and better since the utilization of Demko's Tri-AD on most of their models. But since Cold Steel do not have any assisted openers, they do not meet your criteria.
I'm not a fan of SOG though, I've gotta say.

OK,thanks,but if we ignoring the fact that Cold Steel don't have any assisted openers,are you think that Cold Steel's folders are good? what are you think about Cold Steel?

Spyderco...

I have SOG, and they are okay... But nothing to me beats the percision of a well crafted Spyderco.

0d94cb7e.jpg

OK,thanks.the Spyderco's folders are too expensive for me,and I am not think they are much better than SOG and Cold Steel.
what are you think about your SOG's folders? are they good? are they sharp? are you need to sharpen the blade after several uses?

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
OK,thanks.the Spyderco's folders are too expensive for me,and I am not think they are much better than SOG and Cold Steel.
what are you think about your SOG's folders? are they good? are they sharp? are you need to sharpen the blade after several uses?

Chrck out their Byrd lineup, they are budget Spyderco's.

Also for $30 @ Amazon, look into the Spyderco Tenacious. Their most popular budget knife with amazing build quality.

YouTube search reviews from Nutnfancy and Cutlerylover.. You'll be impressed.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
no idea of cold steel knives. but sog i have used for years.

all sogs knives i have had are of "soft" steel blades. (aus8) so yeah. they do dull in use lot faster than tougher blade materials. (i need to touchup the sog flash2 much more often than my spyderco delica with sharpener)

if you dont want to sharpen all the time you should think of going for harder steels (there is a reason why they are cheaper than higher grade knives like some spydercos.. the materials are not as good.) the blade material choice depends alot of what exactly is your use, so if you need it to peel apples or other light tasks only it will do fine for long time, if you need it to cut rope or cardboard or something else tough tasks then consider something with better steel. and also.. best to learn basics of sharpening too.. (something like lanskysystem sharpener or spyderco sharpmaker are not hard to use and give pretty ok results in novice hands too) never let the blade to go too dull, it is harder to make it sharp again. little touch up here and there makes it ok.

sog assisted opening is cool, i like aegis and flash series because they are lightweight and still perform ok. (in everyday carry an ounce or more less weight does matter in my mind.) but they do feel a bit "flimsy" because they are composite plastic handles. and feel so light in your hands.. so it might be just the mind tricking me.. if it is light i cant be solid. :) one other thing i like them is that their pocket clips make the knife sit very deep in pocket. i like that. it disappears from view and will not fall off or the protruding handle will not snag on anything.

for more solid feel i like the twitch series. they are metal and work great too. (twitch 2 is small.. and 1 is even smaller.. the xl is more "normal" sized one but it does weigh a bit too) and i think they use the same blade material as the aegis and flash.. aus8. it is not a bad blade material, i like it, it can be sharpened easily and stays ok, but hard use, it will wear out (like anything else sometimes they just will dull).

what is your price range? spyderco tenacious/persistance are good value and solid feeling knives (tenacious is my hard use beater) they are with similar blade steel as sog knives, not assisted openers but they are very good and solid tight tolerances for cheap knife. buck vantage is another solid knife. and lately i have been slumming and been buying chinese knives (sanrenmu, enlan, bee etc.. real frigging good value knives they are)

may i suggest you to search youtube or google with something like "best folders under 40dollars" the are good options in that pricerange to go thru. (in youtube you find video reviews of them and spending time watching them you will learn alot of them knives.. look at videos by cutlerylover and nutnfancy.. they have helped me choose many of my knives.) and i believe there was a similar thread here in cpf too.. bladeforums have wealth of info too as they are focused on knives.. :)

Coup de Grace

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I think Cold Steel's knives do have some merit. I own a few of them. I like their smaller models. For the money though, I generally gravitate towards other brands like Spyderco. SOG knives are just OK in my opinion. I do not find their design very inspiring.
I think I can help you better if I knew what you were looking for in a knife and what your price limit is.

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I think Cold Steel's knives do have some merit. I own a few of them. I like their smaller models. For the money though, I generally gravitate towards other brands like Spyderco. SOG knives are just OK in my opinion. I do not find their design very inspiring.
I think I can help you better if I knew what you were looking for in a knife and what your price limit is.

thank's,I am want a knife that can be used by lefties (I am lefty),I am want a very sharp knife,that I will not need to sharpen every several uses,I want a tactical knife (black blade) that can be used for military uses,and of course that I am want a knife with locking mechanism.
my price limit is about 70$,but if the knife is so good,I can to pay more for it.

Coup de Grace

Newly Enlightened
Cold Steel has a number of models that will suit you. The Mini Recon 1 is something to look into. Decent steel with a black blade and black G-10 handles and is under $70. The lock is excellent and is for lefties as well. If you don't want to have to learn to sharpen a knife, you should at least learn to maintain a blade. Look into stropping. It'll go a long way in keeping your blade sharp. But I strongly suggest that any knife owner should learn to put a decent edge on a blade.
If you are willing to pay $75, you can get an all black Spyderco Delica. A good first knife for anyone, and is a first knife for many as well. I am just checking prices at Knife Center. You may find a better deal else where.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco...

I agree with this.

I don't have too many knives but my Spyderco is my best made one. I have a couple of Kershaw knives also and IMO they are better than my SOG. I will say that the Cold Steel has a VERY SHARP edge on it though.

Jamie

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
I'm with you on this. I have a few Kershaws, one SOG, two Spyderco's, and my next sample will be Benchmade.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

tbenedict

Enlightened
I'm not a fan of assisted openers. My SOG Flash feels better/safer than my Kershaw Chives. I prefer unassisted with a thumb stud and smooth action. I think it is safer and just as fast.

For regular carry, I tend to carry my SRM-763 over my fancier knives. I'm a huge fan of the value of these.

awdiwdwf

Newly Enlightened
What sort of price range is acceptable to you? In terms of overall quality, you've got another vote for Spyderco from me, but in terms of quality for the price, I've personally had good experiences with Kershaw blems. More often than not, the issues have no effect on performance whatsoever (it's usually a couple of rust spots or the like), and you can get a well-manufactured knife for dirt cheap.

sprice

Newly Enlightened
Any of these brands are good: Sog, cold steel, benchmade, spyderco, crkt, gerber, buck, leatherman. I like the solid triad lock of the cold steels and I've had at least one of all the above brands. I usually carry a cold steel spartan, recon 1, spyderco byrd cara cara 2, or a small gerber/crkt. I also have a benchmade socp I'll carry around on occasion.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have several SOG folders, only one assisted-opening model, and find them to be generally very good quality for the price. Not excellent quality. But very good.

janx

Newly Enlightened
SOG is way ahead of Cold Steel in my opinion. I carry a SOG "Night Vision" with an ATS-34 blade and ARC lock, and it is smoother than most all Spyderco's I own. I do agree AUS-8 steel kind of sucks, but VG-10 is what most Spyderco's are and I don't like it any better. Cold Steel have a lot of knives made in China and Taiwan also, and it seems Spyderco is doing the same. SOG probably is too. AL Mar is a good brand to think about. It's all personal preference man. Go to www.bladehq.com and look at all of them and see what you like. There are a lot more nice folders than Cold Steel and SOG in the same price range. What is your price range?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Spyderco's Byrd line is made in China. Their regular models aren't.

AUS-8 is the Japanese identical twin of American 440B. If you buy a custom Randall-Made knife, their carbon steel blades are made from O1. Their stainless steel blades are 440B. Considering their waiting list of 5 or 6 years to get a new knife from them is likely to just keep getting longer, doubtful they'd use a stainless steel that "kind of sucks."

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Which is better folding knives company? SOG or Cold Steel?
I want a really sharp knife,with quick/assisted opening,that can be used by left handed person,and a knife I will not need to sharp after any using (because I am not have any sharp equipment and I am not know how to sharpen a knife...)
thanks advance ;)

Both are junk that cut corners every possible chance.

Every knife will get dull, the two companies youve picked will get dull faster than most.

Learn how to sharpen a knife.

Buy a Spyderco, or a Zero Tolerance.