1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Doesn't matter as long as the price is right.
2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :-)
Less than $300.00.
I want a flashlight.
4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
5) Emitter/Light source:
A strong LED
____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
7) What battery type do you want to use?
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
I would prefer a light that I can throw on a charging dock, rather than have to take the batteries out of the light every night. I would also prefer a light that I can back up with disposable batteries should the need arise and the rechargeable fail.
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).
I would prefer to have the capability to do all three of these things should the need arise.
9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).
11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today’s high end lights).
13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want a programmable light (not required, but not a bad feature)
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today’s flashlights).
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
I would prefer the flashlight is black in color.
15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
After reading all of the posts related to Law Enforcement in these threads, I've found myself more and more confused. I currently carry an Inova T4 and would not necessarily change a thing about the light and it's features. My only request would be more brightness on the high mode.
I'm new to all of this, so any recommendations you guys have would be greatly appreciated!