Recommend me a light for Patrol.

Ute_fan24

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Doesn't matter as long as the price is right.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $300.00.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Holster carry.

5) Emitter/Light source:

A strong LED

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

I would prefer a light that I can throw on a charging dock, rather than have to take the batteries out of the light every night. I would also prefer a light that I can back up with disposable batteries should the need arise and the rechargeable fail.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

I would prefer to have the capability to do all three of these things should the need arise.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

____I want a programmable light (not required, but not a bad feature)

____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

I would prefer the flashlight is black in color.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Holster

After reading all of the posts related to Law Enforcement in these threads, I've found myself more and more confused. I currently carry an Inova T4 and would not necessarily change a thing about the light and it's features. My only request would be more brightness on the high mode.

I'm new to all of this, so any recommendations you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm carrying the Klarus XT-11 on my duty belt,
Great interface and with an 18650 rechargeable cell it has decent run time. It's about 500 lumens out the front in this configuration.

Other choices for a belt carried patrol light are

Various Surefire lights (no rechargeable at the moment)
Thrunite Scorpion (clone of Blackhawk Gladius)

Lower on my list due to the twisty head

4 Sevens X-7 or X5
EagleTac G25C2 (highly customizable)
EagleTac T2C2 MKII
O-light M 20X or 21X

Lights with secondary mode change button

Fenix TK21
O-light M20XS & M21XS
Sunwayman T20CS

The Klarus is my favorite and what I carry now due to the interface, one handed operation with out having to adjust your grip, no memory mode so always comes on in high mode. has two lower modes for administrative duties (paperwork).

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
Considering your price range and it's for patrol so reliability is crucial, I would go with a Surefire. Simple interface with a couple of modes, hi/low and built to last and last and last.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the XT11. Most LEO's prefer this light. (and of course the good ol' XT10 which started this fanbase on)

glugo1969

Newly Enlightened
check malkoff and elzetta, i use a maglite 2d with a malkoff drop in for long range and runtime ;a md2 with a high low switch on my belt and on a bead chain on my neck a fenix ld01. cr123 are expensive and not provided by the dept. so recheargeables are the way to go

ravens70

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam BC 25 on the duty belt with the Surefire holster.
Jetbeam BC 20 in the cargo pocket.
Nitecore TM 11 in the gear bag when more light is needed.

Ute_fan24

Newly Enlightened
so I'm definitely considering the Klarus Xt11 that most of you have been recommending. (I appreciate the recommendations!) Where is the best place to buy the light? From the Klarus website?

Next, I've read about AW batteries and a Pila IBC. Again, purchase location? Also, could you guys give me specific model on the batteries?

Once again, I appreciate your guys' responses!!!! Thanks in advance.

spc smith

Enlightened
Ute fan24,

harrisoutdoors sells the Klarus XT11 w/ charger & 2X18650 rechargeable batts and holster w/ LEO discount $92 in all at least to get you started.

DDan69

Newly Enlightened
If your looking for something around the $300 range I would take a very long look at the Olight SR92 it's a bit big but you will be able to light up your neighbors yard or watch someone running away from you a mile away... LOL ;)

Ute_fan24

Newly Enlightened
Awesome info. Do you have to call Harrisoutdoors for the LEO discount/send 'em your creds or is there just a simple discount code online?

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
Now that it's out, check out the SureFire R1. It's a little over your budget (I paid $326), but it fits your requirements. On medium, the beam pattern and brightness is almost identical to a Malkoff M60. Very bright on high. Slightly smaller than a Streamlight Stinger LED. Rechargeable or you can use CR123s. No cradle, but the charger plugs directly into the light so you don't have to remove the battery.

There is a good review posted in the LED lights forum.

It is about the same size as a T4, so if you already have a belt holster, the R1 will probably fit.

Last edited: