Keychain light that won't set off metal detectors.

xiton

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a very small keychain light that won't set off the metal detectors at work. I know most batteries will, so I'd guess if this were to work, it would have to be a small button cell of some sort. Not sure if this will yield a light that's worth anything, but if there are options, I'd love to hear them. :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, good ol' dependable photon! :) One of my first pocket LED's, i was already blown away how bright it was compared to my un-modded Mag Mini at the time (back in the late 80's early 90's)

nbp

Flashaholic
:thinking:

Won't your keys set off the metal detectors whether there is a light on them or not?

xiton

Newly Enlightened
:thinking:

Won't your keys set off the metal detectors whether there is a light on them or not?

Nope. Keys are generally made of metals that are barely magnetic, like brass.

nbp

Flashaholic

Metal detectors detect things that are electrically conductive, not necessarily magnetic. That's why people use them to find coins and silver and gold jewelry in the sand on beaches, none of which are ferrous. Even some stainless steel is not magnetic, but TSA will definitely notice if I hide a scalpel in my pocket and go through the metal detectors.

Why can't you have a flashlight at work?

awenta

Enlightened
The one you leave at home.

The key rings aren't though. There has to be something metal in the light though, otherwise it won't work. How about Ti?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Metal detectors detect things that are electrically conductive, not necessarily magnetic. That's why people use them to find coins and silver and gold jewelry in the sand on beaches, none of which are ferrous. Even some stainless steel is not magnetic, but TSA will definitely notice if I hide a scalpel in my pocket and go through the metal detectors.

Why can't you have a flashlight at work?
The metal detectors I have ever seen you have to take the keys out of your pockets and put them in a tray to be inspected. Perhaps they set the detector to a lot less sensitive so only larger metallic objects trip it.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I like the Photon Freedom Micro (great little light with a very well thought out UI), but my fauxtons have even less metal in them (2 batteries and 4 tiny screws).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
probably the least amount of metal in a light would be the rayovac led light that has 4 tiny button cells in a plastic light something like ag3 or ag4

xiton

Newly Enlightened
Specifically it's a Magnetometer. However, I don't think there's any need to be so critical. Thanks for the recommendations. :)

xiton

Newly Enlightened
My Photon Freedom arrived today. Very impressive for such a little push light. I'll know tomorrow if I have to pull it out of my pocket to get through. :)

Yes, that was the only reason. I'm too lazy to empty everything out of my pockets multiple times per day!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My Photon Freedom arrived today. Very impressive for such a little push light. I'll know tomorrow if I have to pull it out of my pocket to get through. :)

Yes, that was the only reason. I'm too lazy to empty everything out of my pockets multiple times per day!
Just get a light you keep at work and one you leave in the car when you go into work.