Any comparison shots between 007 XPG, XML, and Tri-V?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all of the Tri-Vs and 007 for sale lately, I've been really itchin to get one myself. Problem is that I'm not sure which one suits me the best. I mean I have a general idea of the pros and cons between them, and how they would generally perform based on emitter type and the power they're driven at but to actually see them perform side by side would help me a lot. Do I go with the XP-G version for price point, efficiency, and runtime? Or do I go for the XM-L for its sheer output and higher price (when they become available)? Or do I attempt to pick up the Tri-V2 when it's released? With the Tri-V2 it's the highest investment, but with three emitters and programmability, it has the most customizable and versatile. I'm also a tint snob who only has neutral lights and really am not a fan of cool or warm and that's what scares me about the Tri-V. The fact that there are no neutral emitters. Also the fact that it's the least water resistant of the bunch, it scares me that it's the least durable as well.

Oh the choices. I guess I'm leaning towards the XML just because it comes in neutral, and its output gives it the wow factor to justify the price, and is more durable than the Tri-V, but that Tri-V is sooooooo sexy and you can play with it in so many ways. I really wish I can adhere to the CPF creed and "get them all" but we'll see. haha! You guys have any insight on the matter? This won't be a shelf queen either, but I'll probably leave the heavy duty jobs to my other lights.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also buy the xpg works great. XML is really nice also. Then the triv . Hmmm. If there is only one that you need a desire then wait for the triv. Out of all my lights I will always have a triv..

Triv

Triv

Triv

Triv

Triv.

Triv.

Kind of like that song shots, Triv

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you landed here you are starting at the top.

To be honest, I wish I was the only one that could own these.

I would be the new Zeus, the god of light with rcr123's and little chips that add to my power.

So how I also need a triv 2. But I am tapped out. I collected knives for years, sold them all when the flashlight bug hit. Now I only have 3 knives, hell maybe I should put one up for sale.

I will try to find away to by a Triv 2. Cop-ing don't pay enough for my titanium problem, but no matter what happens, I sure the hell won't be in the dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ&ob=av2e

Just watch this and change some words to flashlight, and triv

triv

triv

triv

triv

triv

triv. You know you hear it.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
No nO, I never drink, it's what the doctor gives me. I need the little white pills to enable me to work. And watch videos.

Rudi

Enlightened
That's an interesting question you posed about comparing XPG vs. XML Spys. To answer it for myself I decided on a catch-and-release --- catch the one I didn't have and release my least favorite of the two. For the past month I've alternated the two and can still not pick a favorite.

By the way you've phrased your inquiry it is obvious that you have your thinking hat on straight. You just have to figure out your priorities. Each of the two is clearly better than the other – or they are both equally appropriate -- depending on the moment's lighting requirements. For example, close-up work benefits from the XML's floody beam; distance benefits from the XPG's throw. To equal the XPG's throw at 1000 ma, the XML needs to be cranked up to 1500 ma. This can be either good (tremendous WOW! factor), or bad (when the bright spill isn't needed its milliamps are wasted, so runtime takes a hit). I wish there were the choice of an XML in a deeper reflector, which is obviously impossible without redesigning the head.

Another thing that affects runtime is perception. When illuminating an object rather than an area, one's perception wants the object to appear brighter than its surroundings, so the brighter the surroundings (the XML's spill) the brighter the hotspot required. Under such conditions I find myself using the XML one step brighter than the XPG, with both lights programmed for similar hot spot intensity. The XML's brighter spill will either be welcome or wasted, according to the situation.

Bottom line is, you'd be happy with either emitter. As for tint, my neutral XML is slighytly warmer than my XPG (perhaps 500K). I have no idea whether this is the case with all of Dave's XMLs vs. XPGs.

As for the Tri-V, despite the similarities it is a different animal altogether and needs to be thought of separately. I had the same trepidation you describe about the tints, but found that the choice offered is very appropriate indeed. For a semi-shelf queen it will give you unparalleled satisfaction. For general use it will depend on how it 'fits' your personal habits and requirements.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that Rudi.

I had a similar experience when comparing xpg and sst-50 p60 dropins, and I always found myself using the sst-50 way more than the xpg. Every once in a would need something that was longer reaching, so I would occassionally use the xpg dropin but that was only a few times. So I guess my choice is clear. I really would like to have a tri-v and one day I will, but I don't think it's appropriate for me at this time.

RIDE

Enlightened
Like folks said........the 007 for instant gratification, but the Tri-V for life long love! :)

My Tri-V will never leave me as well.....probably the one gizmo or gadget I can say that about!

RIDE