Malkoff
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

  1. #1

    Default FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Guys,
    What is the farthest-throwing, handheld, PRODUCTION light (LED only, <$250) available today? (regardless of battery chemistry/configuration)

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* CarpentryHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,833

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Does the Deft LR count? It's built by a CPF member named SaaBlaster, it's the best in its size.
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

  3. #3

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    Does the Deft LR count? It's built by a CPF member named SaaBlaster, it's the best in its size.
    If it's modified, it doesn't count. Only production ones.

  4. #4
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    7,563

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    Does the Deft LR count? It's built by a CPF member named SaaBlaster, it's the best in its size.
    Saabluster, and it would indeed be the best LED thrower at that price range. The original DEFT throws a lot farther, but it's not currently in production.

    Quote Originally Posted by tatasal View Post
    If it's modified, it doesn't count. Only production ones.
    It's a custom/boutique production light, it's not made from anything else.
    Last edited by StarHalo; 04-09-2012 at 03:18 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    It's a custom/boutique production light, it's not made from anything else.[/QUOTE]

    Anything customized doesn't count. It should be 'factory production' made..

  6. #6
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    7,563

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    It is production, just small scale. Small enough that in the premium models, components are hand-picked for max performance.

    If you just want a mass-produced light, the Thrunite Catapult V3 is the best-performing thrower in your price range.

  7. #7

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    It is production, just small scale. Small enough that in the premium models, components are hand-picked for max performance.

    If you just want a mass-produced light, the Thrunite Catapult V3 is the best-performing thrower in your price range.
    Ok, could you pm me the specs of the DEFT? So among the mass-produced you choose the Catapult as the farthest throwing...

  8. #8

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    I just saw in another thread a beamshot of the Dereelight DBS t XR-E R2 EZ9000 aspheric. How is it compared to the Deft? Is it custom-made too? I have a TK41 and have grown 'used' to its throw, so to speak...

  9. #9

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    What's the use of uber throwers? I always thought it was a kind of bragging rights benchmark rather than function.

  10. #10

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Quote Originally Posted by entercpf View Post
    What's the use of uber throwers? I always thought it was a kind of bragging rights benchmark rather than function.
    You are partly correct...you can look at it that way..but at least you'll have something to brag about haha

  11. #11
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    7,563

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Quote Originally Posted by tatasal View Post
    Ok, could you pm me the specs of the DEFT? So among the mass-produced you choose the Catapult as the farthest throwing...
    The DEFT specs are on the OMGLumens site. I would wager the Catapult is closer to what you're looking for, as it has a traditional hotspot-and-spill beam similar to your TK, not like the tight hotspot-only beam of the aspherics.

  12. #12

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Quote Originally Posted by tatasal View Post
    You are partly correct...you can look at it that way..but at least you'll have something to brag about haha
    As an owner of many thrower lights, you dont really use them that much. I have them coz i'd like to own them, but to use as EDC? Naah... I edc a Quark AA 14500 and my Jetbeam BC25, that's it. (and an iTP A3 Upgraded just as backup)

  13. #13

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill1109 View Post
    As an owner of many thrower lights, you dont really use them that much. I have them coz i'd like to own them, but to use as EDC? Naah... I edc a Quark AA 14500 and my Jetbeam BC25, that's it. (and an iTP A3 Upgraded just as backup)
    I have the SC600 for flood, the XT11 for medium flood and a little bit of throw, and the TK41 for throw. I don't really use them that much too. I just like to own some. Something that throws substantially farther than the TK would be nice though. I don't want to go into modified exotics. Regular production lights is good enough for me.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* LEDninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hamilton Canada
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: FARTHEST-THROWING PRODUCTION LIGHT? (<$250)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill1109 View Post
    As an owner of many thrower lights, you dont really use them that much. I have them coz i'd like to own them, but to use as EDC? Naah... I edc a Quark AA 14500 and my Jetbeam BC25, that's it. (and an iTP A3 Upgraded just as backup)
    +1
    I carry a Quark MiNi AA neutral as my goto EDC with a Millermodded Arc AAA on my keychain.
    I sometimes carry my Quark X neutral 14500 in a cell phone holster when I am not using the holster to carry MsDonalds coupons.

    As to a production thrower:
    Dereelight DBS-T XR-E R2 EZ900 Aspheric First Impressions
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...st-Impressions
    The beamshots tell all.
    See post 20 & 23 for how to sort out dereelight options.
    -
    There are brighter lights out there usually SST-90 based but are much bigger.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •