need a 2-level bright/dim LED 2xAA light

CaptClaude

Newly Enlightened
I need a recommendation on a (at least) 2 level, LED (prefer) 2xAA flashlight for regular daily use.
I do not want a *click* HIGH *click* LOW *click* HIGH ..., I want to twist something and have it come up on HIGH and twist and have it come on LOW.
I do not need a "tactical" flashlight because I am never (well, almost never) involved in tactical situations. I need a dim light for use in the tech booth of the theatre and a bright light when I don't need a dim light. More than two levels and continuously variable lights are OK but $40 is about as much as I feel like spending on this.

One light that looks interesting is the ITP E50.

Suggestion?

Thanks,

CaptClaude

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Quark AA2 might be worth looking at, and possibly the "tactical" version because it gives you more flexibility over what "Low" and "High" levels you get (they are programmable). Switch on/off with the tail clicky, rotate the head to change the level of illumination. Don't fret too much about the use of the word "tactical" in the model name, just look at the functionality of the light itself - then choose what suits you best.

IIRC I saw these on sale for $39 recently (they had the old 4sevens logo or somesuch).

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah Quark X AA^2 Tactical fits the description perfectly... You program your choice of 2, out of 8, modes into the loose and tight bezel positions. Low goes down to 0.3 lumens, and will run well over 300 hours. Max around 280 lumens. 10 yr guarantee. The XML has a really nice beam with large hotspot, perfect for indoors.

It's currently on rebranding sales, best I've seem is $42 with CPF disc. though.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ITP E50 is powered by 2 x CR123A not 2 x AA.

For a 2 x AA model by ITP, you should consider the
SA2.

In your price range, I would seriously consider the Shiningbeam Caveman (T5 model) or the Shiningbeam Spark. If I didn't already own similar 4Sevens lights, I would definitely try out the Spark. I still may buy a neutral white Spark; it is just harder to justify the purchase.

Hope this helps & welcome to CPF!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA2 might be worth looking at, and possibly the "tactical" version because it gives you more flexibility over what "Low" and "High" levels you get (they are programmable). Switch on/off with the tail clicky, rotate the head to change the level of illumination. Don't fret too much about the use of the word "tactical" in the model name, just look at the functionality of the light itself - then choose what suits you best.

IIRC I saw these on sale for $39 recently (they had the old 4sevens logo or somesuch).

+1 sounds like a Quark Tactical you are looking for.

CaptClaude

Newly Enlightened
There are two iTP SA2 (at least) flashlights, one with 230 lumens and one with 190 lumens. They are both $40 (plus or minus) and I can't find the Quark AA2 Tactical R5 for close to $39 so I'm curious as to whether there is enough of a difference in the two lights to justify the price diffference? This light will not be for rough, daily professional use. I need a light for use in when I am working in the theatre, in the tech booth or shooting video or stills and need only a very little light -- or other times when I need to see something clearly in a brighter light. And working in the theatre is not my day job, only my hobby job.

Thanks for your quick responses. I am not used to that in a forum.

--CaptClaude