2 low output AA flashlight?

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking for an AA flashlight that has 2 fairly low levels. First preferably around 8-15ish lumens (anywhere in there should do fine) to have as a low output when outside so I'm not lighting up a whole amount of space but enough to be able to see directly in front of me and then a higher output around 40-50ish lumens if I decide I need a quick burst of more light.

I prefer clicky switches as opposed to twist the tail or head. Would like it to be as small as possible. On the low output, the highest runtime available, preferably in excess of 30hours.

The only one I can think of that might actually do the job I need is the Fenix LD12 but then that has a lot of other stuff in it that I really don't want/need.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think almost any 1xAA fits that description as your two levels are not really considered "low." Most 1xAA start around 3 lumens and then every manufacture has a different take on the mode spacing. Based on your description, which I would equate to my dog-walking modes, I personally use 3 and 20 lumens, but allow my eyes to dark-adapt.

I'd just look around as anything from any of the decent Chinese manufactures have something that meets those lumen levels.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply but I can't seem to find something within those parameters. The search continues.

I suppose the low mode I don't mind dropping to around 5ish lumens, so a 5 for low and then a high around 30 even?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I'm confused then... If your looking for a light that "has" these 2 levels, then there are many. If you're looking for a light that "only has" these two levels, then there are few.

If "has" then lots of choices from Jetbeam, Eagletac, 4sevens, Sunwayman, Thrunite, Zebralight, Fenix... To name a few.

If "only has" then I'd consider getting a programmable 4Sevens Quark Tactical or Zebralight, or a magnetic control ring (infinitely variable, or stepped mode) from Sunwayman or Jetbeam as these lights will at least allow you to jump to your 2 preferred modes without cycling through the rest of the modes.

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
Quark AA Tactical? You can program 2 modes, but it does require a head twist to switch modes. It does have a clicky for activation though. You can pick 2 of the five light levels and program them in. The low is 4 lumens for 2 days, but that might be a bit lower than you want. Medium is 22 lumens for 6 hours, and high of 85 lumens for 1.5 hours. There's also a moonight and max mode, but those are outside the numbers you gave.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
I was looking at the Icon Rogue which has 5lumens and 50lumens, is a clicky so it pretty much perfect except in that it's fairly bulky which defeats my reason for having a single AA powered torch.

I don't feel I can justify the extra cost for the likes of torches that allow customisable output. If I can't find what I need in a single AA torch, I may resort to a 2AA torch, I know the Icon Rogue will be smaller but its a fair bit thicker and slimmer is more of a priority than length.

I'm weird, I know....

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
AA Clicky

JETBeam PA01:
High mode: 140 lumens, 90 mins
Mid mode: 65 lumens, 195 mins
Low mode: 6 lumens, 32 hours

Dimensions : Tube diameter 0.67" (17 mm), Total length 3.54" (90 mm)
Weight (excluding battery): 0.95 oz (27g)

Fenix LD10:
General Mode: 9 lumens (34hrs) - >50 lumens (6hrs) -> 105 lumens (2.2hrs) - > SOS
Dimensions: 3.94" (100mm) (Length) x 0.85" (21.5mm) (Diameter)

Not exact, but if "has" is acceptable, these should fill the bill - and there are countless others.
If "only has" is the requirement, well, I'm stuck, too. With multi-mode lights, most of the good companies try to give a higher "high" than that with modern emitters.

Good luck!

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.

Knowing Fenix, they are bound to eventually bring out something to fit the bill, surely I can't be the only one that wants something like this?

Fenix E11 has 2 outputs, 32 and 105, now if they could both be halved, in the form of the E11 (ie not like LD10, E11 is a very simple form factor in the terms of physical design, as is the JETBeam PA01 - which I like very much) I would be happy.

Last edited:

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
How about a Quark AA^2?
The tactical version would easily let you switch between the two low modes.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
I'm also thinking the Fenix LD15 can be a possibility.

The Quark AA^2 is 2AA, my first choice is 1AA torch, plus its more expensive than I can justify for this purpose.

The Zebralight SC51 (no matter how much I love it) has more than 2 modes & (partially) as a result more expensive for the job at hand.

Thanks for your input guys.

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
I don't think I can justify the extra on the Quark AA Tactical over a simple AA torch, but thanks for the suggestion.

That ITP SA1 however seems like it may just fit the bill (if I just ignore the highest output), thanking you sir :)

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
I clearly didn't do my homework properly. The ITP SA1 Eluma has a smooth reflector, I need more of a floody light.

So now I have just went for the Olight I2 EOS, I know it doesn't have a clicky but I couldn't be bother researching more. It has the necessary lows with an available high if needed.

I am however contemplating the between Klarus ST10 / Thrunite Neutron 1A / 4Sevens Quark AA to get my clicky fix for the single AA torch.