HDS Systems
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BOOM! AND MY HOUSE WAS ON FIRE!

Default Re: BOOM! AND MY HOUSE WAS ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    What the hell is the first picture? It looks like a horribly stained coffee pot.

Cases like this make me VERY cautious, and somewhat afraid of my hotwire build.
    cnofused? (sic)

Lookat the 2cd pict. You are looking down the bell of the very same light! After the blow and before. Rag is around tube as it was still HOT.

I have had SLA, NiMh and Liion Batteries all blow at one time or another in different chargers.
    <; )}}}}>< I fish therfore I am... pic links: '03,'07,'08

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    cnofused? (sic)

Lookat the 2cd pict. You are looking down the bell of the very same light! After the blow and before. Rag is around tube as it was still HOT.

I have had SLA, NiMh and Liion Batteries all blow at one time or another in different chargers.

Ah, it was just so unrecognizeable.

Man, that's nuts. I'm lucky so far, and havent had a battery explode yet (had a primary 123 get super hot, but was able to toss it outside to cool down, then discharged it via 5mm LED in the backyard, and tossed it in the trash, in a superglued film canister)
    Mag 1D, 2DL, 3DL, 6D hotwire+extension... Fenix E15... Surefire Z2, E1e, 6P, U2 modded with T5 XM-L... Just to name a few

Lucky no one was hurt, would a protected cell have avoided this?

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnHu View Post
    Lucky no one was hurt, would a protected cell have avoided this?
    Perhaps, depending on the health and quality of the cells, their starting voltages, the quality and verified functioning of protection circuit, and other variables.

The main take home lesson in this thread is to only charge Li-Ion cells in safe location, and if charging in series--you must use balance tap leads. Another viable strategy is to charge a number of Li-Ion cells in parallel (assumes they are all identical brand/aged cells, voltages close to each other, etc.), but depending on your charger output, that can take a very long time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12