Led Street Lights - getting funkier

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that design is very unique! Hard to say what issues might result from the design, but it looks like it should address the issue of the heatsink getting covered in dust and bird poo. With no horizontal surfaces, any dirt/excrement should slide off or rinse off easily.

now if only the car manufacturers could design a bird-poo resistant auto! :)

Steve K.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not an engineer, but looking at those things makes me wonder how efficient the heatsinking actually is. The LEDs in the middle of the array can't take advantage of the blade type symetry because heat has a much, much longer way to travel. Curious how they got around this. Vertical convection though is likely really good, and the cellular nature of the design makes it easy to just add more blades if you want more light. Most current lights have to use horizontal convection for cooling and this is prone to a lot of problems. Radial heat sinks with thick, blunt fins that gradually tape are the most efficient in the thermal models, and this looks like conceptually at least 1/2 of that idea.

This bugged me though:

"While everybody else was creating standard shoeboxes and other conventional designs, we were approached with a revolutionary technology that allowed us to throw out all preconceptions of how urban luminaires should appear,"

Yeah....Ok...I'm sure every City, County and Municipal planner has aethestics at the top of their list. But if you want your corporate parking lot to look like it was terraformed by the Decepticons this product is at the top of your list.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Blasterman, I think you're right about the vertical convection. I think the increased air flow around each blade will help compensate for the lack of a large horizontal fin. I can envision each blade creating it's own little circular air current around it as the heat rises and new cold air gets pulled in below it.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sick2:

I'm not sure I would want to be the one to present that to a lighting committee or roadway authority.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know that Darth Vader had gone into lighting.

SemiMan

Banned
XPG

- Higher volumes and hence better access even for Cree to the right bins/color
- Better color control across the surface
- Smaller optical source size and hence smaller optic / packaging to some degree
- Ability to achieve similar efficiencies in real world application

NOT XTE

- No LM-80 yet
- New and just hitting volume production hence limited bin/color availability

Semiman

Latest posts