Anyone else putting spare batts in the inside ankle area of their socks?

ledmitter

Enlightened
Feels weird against the ankle.

Say it's warm and you're not wearing a jacket and your pockets already have keys, cellphone, wallet, knife and change.

What's your preferred method for carrying an extra spare or two (or 15) :D

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carry them in Delrin cases, chain them together with an A&P keyring and stuff them in my pocket.

arsenal.jpg

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
One the reasons I stay AA/Eneloop/14500 based is lots of back-up options.

I EDC a 2xAA iGo PowerXTender for my smartphone, so I can cannibalize those for my QuarkAAX. Have a AAA Revo back-up light on the keychain, and spare AAA in small organizer, along with a BIC lighter, Leatherman Squirt, and some cord. The AAAs can also be used in the Quark by rolling a couple dollar bills around it, and wadding some tin foil at the negative end, for spacers.

So all in I EDC 2xAA Eneloops, 1x14500, and 2xAAA Eneloops in three pockets (would be the same in shorts/T-shirt), I figure I could muster up about a 1000 hrs of light out of that if necessary...course, any convenience store has Alks too.. Ya think that's enough? :)

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep extra batteries in the car which is never far away. I have a couple of Chinese bags with a belt loop that can carry 4 18650s. Rarely take them on my belt, but toss 'em in the car when I expect to use my lights.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Feels weird against the ankle.

Damn, yeah, it just sounds uncomfortable.

Personally, I don't carryspare cells on my person, although I have toyed with the idea in the past; but I already carry too much crap in my pockets or on my belt as it is.

However, I always have spares not far away.

I've standardized on AA/14500 lights for EDC and self-powered outdoors activities, which simplifies things immensely. I keep a PowerPax carrier full of Eneloops in my "suburban assault briefcase" for workdays, another in my backpack when in the woods, in the saddle bag of my motorcycle, and a LOT of spares — and extra lights — in my truck.

So, in conclusion: NO to spare cells in my sock, YES to spares strapped to my back or in something with a motor. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
can't carry anything in the footgear. when the s**t goes down and you have to boot and scoot, anything
with the slightest chance of messing up your gait (battery slides under the foot for example) you are
a) roadkill
b) asteroid smoosh
c) big cat food
d) wolf food (see item (c))

spare battery goes in the pocket (or in my fist as an emergency kubotan/ppp (pressure-point-persuader))

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carry them in Delrin cases, chain them together with an A&P keyring and stuff them in my pocket.

arsenal.jpg

That's a lot of spares! Those delrin cases are cool. I've been meaning to order a couple, but the with the cost of shipping, I'll wait until I have a bigger order.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need to untie my shoe and stand on one foot (still snowing here and you dont want to be wet on your feet in winter). Sounds like a pain in the a.. ehm ankle.
I only use rechargeble, so i dont carry spares. I just change the battery when i think i have used the light a lot.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I can see carrying spares if you are using your flashlight(s) constantly all the time for your occupation, or for some other use that requires a lot of portable lighting. But not for just a 'regular EDC' layout with other things on you.

I don't keep any spare batteries on my body at any time. However, I will keep a few spares in my EDC/GHB bag, which is usually with me 80% of the time.

If anything, I carry spare ammo in my pockets to go along with my other tool ;)

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
If you're going to carry them on your ankle anyway, might as well get a fashionable bracelet to attach them to:
...I hear all the hot celebs are wearing them these days.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images - Norm

On a slightly more serious note, I keep my spare batteries in my EDC "European Style Men's Travel Bag®" (definitely not a man-purse) in the top zip pocket. I can't stand having an abundance of stuff in my pockets either.

Last edited by a moderator:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to keep things on my torso and not add weight to my extremities, not good bio-mechanically.

pblanch

Enlightened
Its not a man purse.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, guess what...

ledmitter

Enlightened
If you're going to carry them on your ankle anyway, might as well get a fashionable bracelet to attach them to:
...I hear all the hot celebs are wearing them these days.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images - Norm

On a slightly more serious note, I keep my spare batteries in my EDC "European Style Men's Travel Bag®" (definitely not a man-purse) in the top zip pocket. I can't stand having an abundance of stuff in my pockets either.

^^^ Hahahah. WTF is that?

Yeh. Something like this.

813942468.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ledmitter

Enlightened
can't carry anything in the footgear. when the s**t goes down and you have to boot and scoot, anything
with the slightest chance of messing up your gait (battery slides under the foot for example) you are
a) roadkill
b) asteroid smoosh
c) big cat food
d) wolf food (see item (c))

spare battery goes in the pocket (or in my fist as an emergency kubotan/ppp (pressure-point-persuader))

I just carry these. It's not too bad.

img2012040607519.jpg