Survivorman "Lost at Sea"

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at one of Survivorman's fist season episode "Lost at Sea", which made me think of y'all!

If you haven't seen it, it's the episode that they used an inflatable raft that's stored in a hard case located on the deck of a yacht that is also attached to a depth gauge explosive to detach and inflate the raft in the event that the raft is on the yacht while it was sinking.

Ok Pops, so what's that got to do with flashlights?

Well the raft has a emergency survival kit in it, and when Les Stroud opened the kit, guess what?

Don't know? ... Don't wanna at least give it a guess?

Ok! You guys are NO fun!

The waterproof flashlight in the kit didn't flashlight! I mean light or didn't work!

So I guess the moral of that episode is too make sure you got your own waterproof flashlight on your person for a just incase type of thing if you're on a yacht! Les was SOL, cause he didn't have one on him!

tam17

Enlightened
Re: Surviorman "Lost at Sea"

I presume those emergency lights are required by laws and regulations, but are there requirements considering battery expiry date or scheduled inspections? Emergency lights that I've seen are all cheapolite stuff I surely wouldn't like to rely on in a disaster situation. I'm carrying a quality waterproof light with a spare battery always with me.

Cheers,

Tam

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

I presume those emergency lights are required by laws and regulations, but are there requirements considering battery expiry date or scheduled inspections? Emergency lights that I've seen are all cheapolite stuff I surely wouldn't like to rely on in a disaster situation. I'm carrying a quality waterproof light with a spare battery always with me.

Cheers,

Tam

Absolutely, they mentioned that there is an expiration date on the hard cover of the raft. The first raft they acquired from the owner of a yacht was told that the raft was good to go (even with an expired expiration date on it). When they inflated the raft, it defated a few minutes later. Imagine if that was an emergency, the folks would've been dead in the water!

The light I'd edc or have on me is my HDS and my AAA maratac!

But I hope you're carrying an extry CR123, cause I may have to borrow it! ... LOL

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats why all should respect the expiration date. I work with making brand new fishing boats 35-40 feet long. Everyone gets a new life raft with a depht charge installed. Some cheap fishermen wants to use the raft from their old boats, but we send them in for a check, so it ends up not beeing that cheap after all.
When old boats comes for repairs, we take out the pyrotecnics and check the expiration date. Looots is like 10years past it's expiration. I usually get all the expiered pyrotecnics to play with for new years eve. So far only ~50-60% works. When i tell those cheap fishermens about the failure rate on the old stuff, they gladly leave it at work. Those handheld flares really shine. Hurt my eyes, and make any light i own look like a 10 lumen showerhead. I mean this things light up the whole neighborhood... If/when they go off. If a handheld wont go off, i just put it on top of a big candle lantern and it will ignite sooner or later. The rockets is a pain to get rid of (in safe manners) if they wont fire, im not grabbing any more of those.

Last edited:

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened

The expiration dates on a lot of that equipment makes for some cheap fun too!

At the gunshows you can get the "expired" comet rocket parachute flairs for $5-10/each as well as the orange smoke. Great fun in the desert(after it rains)

tam17

Enlightened

I agree that expired emergency kit scavenging can be interesting, but If I was the vessel owner I'd make sure all safety equipment is in good condition.

I've watched too many disaster-at-sea documentaries and in half of the cases it was a mix of human error and faulty safety equipment that caused the loss of lives...

But I hope you're carrying an extry CR123, cause I may have to borrow it! ... LOL

I don't think so, since I'm not a seafaring guy at all (although I do carry a spare AAA for my E05, LOL)

Cheers,

Tam

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Survivorman just rubs me the wrong way. The way he gets wet when he doesn't need to for instance, the way he generally creates drama and problems instead of just digging into the nitty gritty of how to make good decisions and show good technique...
Is this the same episode where he gives himself a bird dropping enema?
Peewee Herman vs. Nature would be more entertaining.

-And he certainly could have easily had a light with him.

sawlight

Enlightened

Survivorman just rubs me the wrong way. The way he gets wet when he doesn't need to for instance, the way he generally creates drama and problems instead of just digging into the nitty gritty of how to make good decisions and show good technique...

NO no no!!!! That isn't Survivior man! Les Stroud is Surviviorman, he goes out alone, no help, films everything himself and stays smart while doing it!
You are thinking of Bear Grylis in "Man vs. Wild". He's ex-special forces and shows all the things you should NEVER do if you are stuck out on your own in a survival situation! I do agree there though, he's an idiot, Discovery was stupid to air the show and I'm glad it's now cancelled! It showed nothing but bad form all the way around!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, I think that was an episode from Bear Gryills "Man vs Wild". Les Stroud's "Survivorman" is more like watching a guy sitting around a camp fire! ... LOL

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oops, my apology to Survivorman, you all are utterly right it's "Bear" that I can't bear.
Survivorman has shared some good stuff that I've appreciated, the worst I could say of his show is that he's somewhat depresso -he spends a lot of time being cold and talking about how much his camera gear weighs.
;-)

Dual Survivor is a pretty cool show.

If you want a real treat see if you can get a hold of BBC's Ray Mears' shows, he's basically a paleo-ethnobotanist who travels the world recreating hunter/gatherer techniques and extracting food from the landscape, along with making shelters, tools and fire in various ways and interacting (learning and teaching) with the locals. He's way too cool to act cool, a slightly pudgy Englishman who walks the walk, sings cheesy songs, carries plenty of socks, and puts powder on his feet in the jungle.

They could all use better flashlights, Ray Mears would snap up a long running high CRI light in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened

If you want a real treat see if you can get a hold of BBC's Ray Mears' shows, he's basically a paleo-ethnobotanist who travels the world recreating hunter/gatherer techniques and extracting food from the landscape, along with making shelters, tools and fire in various ways and interacting (learning and teaching) with the locals. He's way too cool to act cool, a slightly pudgy Englishman who walks the walk, sings cheesy songs, carries plenty of socks, and puts powder on his feet in the jungle.

Behind all that naturalist-primitive-skills-bushcraft-tree-hugging stuff, Mears is just being a smart salesman, as he runs a successful outdoors&bushcraft store. All respect to Mr. Stroud and massive jeers to Mr. Grylls.

Cheers,

Tam

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened

I think the waterproofing on that light in question was crappy. IIRC, he said that when they opened the raft, it opened upside down leading to all the gear falling into the water - everything was pretty much ruined including the "waterproof" light