Small, Powerful EDC/Tactical light

likaboss

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I'm relatively new to CPF here, but I've been looking around the forum and am thinking about getting a new light. My only "quality" light (my other ones are cheap plastic ones from Walmart) is a Streamlight Protac2L. I absolutely love it except that it's only 180 lumens, so I'm thinking another light that's far more powerful. Here are my requirements from greatest to least desirable.

-powerful (at least 450 lumens-ish or greater)
-pocket clip
-relatively small (4-7 inches or 102-177 millimeters)
-not too thick (olight s35 or something like that is too thick)
-price line: $100 (preferebly less than $80)
-batteries: cr123, 18650, 16340, 14500, that kind of stuff
-tailcap button (preferably forward clicky)
- good throw, just not a extremely floody guy

Stuff I have Considered:
Thrunite TN12, Klarus XT11, Klarus XT2C, Eagletac P20C2, Eagletac D25LC2, Jetbeam BC25, Jetbeam PA10, Eagletac D25C2/LC2 Clicky. I love the XT11 except that it's a little bulky. I'm thinking about getting either the TN12 or the D25LC2 Clicky.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want something simple, jetbeam bc25... i just got one from amazon.com for 65... it only has 2 modes, low and high... high is 650LM and will run for close to 2 hours on an aw 3100 mah 18650... the throw on it is decent... going gear has a great review on it, which is what made me decide on buying it... its a decent size light, but fits comfortably on my belt in the included holster

if you want strobe and more modes and a little more throw i would go with the klarus xt11 (this light is next on my list to get right now)

also i noticed that your price range is $100, you might want to take at the zebralight sc600... they are just back in stock on the zebralight website as of today (they regularly sell out) and its a great light... it is a bit floody since its very small, but it will output 750lm for the first 5minutes and then step down to 500lm after that and has a whole host of other great features - if its not for you i understand, just wanted to toss it out there hehe (i just ordered mine yesterday actually)

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need a Xeno G42 XM-L. It comes in different tints, is well regulated and is a better thrower than the ones you listed. The beam profile is really nice and the user interface is simple. Don't let lumens fool you, throw is about the lux and this throws really well without any step down in power. It has a forward clickie and can tail stand.

I have the cool white version XM-L U2 and I prefer this over my other XM-L small lights. 570 lumens and 23,000lux.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want something powerful and between 4-7 inches, I'd go for a 2xCR123 or 1X18650 light.
If you want it to be small enough to comfortably fit into your pocket and have a low profile, you should take a look at the following lights:
Klarus XT2C [2xCR123 or 2xRCR123 or 1X18650] - you mentioned it but currently it does not come with a pocket clip. It seems they will include one from next week though. It's floody but probably throws to 100 yards out of its sheer power. By far, it has the best UI in terms of simplicity.
Fenix PD32 [2xCR123 or 2xRCR123 or 1X18650] - it has fewer lumens but has an XP-G R5 so offers a better throw. Also, it has memory so it will go on at whatever preset output level you want.
JetBeam PC10 [2xCR123 or 2xRCR123 or 1X17670] - it has an XM-L T6 so offers more or less the same performance of the XT2C but with a more flexible UI (memory). It cannot take 18650 but works fine 17670. It's even more low profile than the Klarus and the Fenix.

Sizewise, these are some very good options out here. Check out the Quark 4sevens too though!

If your idea of an EDC includes flashlights with a larger head, then you should definitely include the lights you mentioned: Thrunite tn12, Klarus xt11, Eagletac d25lc2, JetBeam BC25 etc.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The Klarus XT11 is great, its my EDC...great UI for tactical use, uses a single 18650, can take RCR123's as well (Dual Fuel Option), which makes it burn even brighter, but sacrifices some of the long run time to do it.

It goes in my front pant pocket.

A lot of other buddies also EDC the XT11, due to the perfect tactical application.

I also like the Surefire Fury, which has a pretty useful beam...a very simple UI, but, for you, no clip, and, a bit over budget.

:D

jalal20

Enlightened
V11R from sunwayman. Its selling for 88$ at BJ and has about 500 lumens on turbo when using 16340s

nicocarrre

Newly Enlightened
I actually was looking for a light with the same specifications you have mentioned and looked at the lights you listed. I decided on the XT11 for its value and I received it yesterday. It's been great so far, just as many others have stated. Its interface is great!

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TN 12 is a powerful EDC. I have found it's downside is mode skipping. It's a problem for me because I constantly change modes from high to low as I walk the dog. Beam quality, feel, and output are good.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Zebralight SC600 :thumbsup: bright and pocketable

He wanted more throw...He's "Not a floody guy".

The SC600 is great, if you want a bright flood...I keep one in my pocket for that reason...but its not the best light for what he's asking.

likaboss

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC600 :thumbsup: bright and pocketable

I was considering that, but I didn't choose it for a couple reasons, mainly because I want kind of a "self-defence" light that I can use to blind street robbers if followed and (if completely neccesary) give a whack on the head. Therefore, a tailcap button would be somewhat faster to "draw" from my front pocket (that's why I want a clip) and press than a button like that on a SC600. Otherwise, I would be using it more or less like an EDC light. Keep sending in the suggestions, though!

likaboss

Newly Enlightened
The TN 12 is a powerful EDC. I have found it's downside is mode skipping. It's a problem for me because I constantly change modes from high to low as I walk the dog. Beam quality, feel, and output are good.

I found HKJ's review and saw that you could clean the head insert and remove mode-hopping. Go check it out.

Tore_B

Newly Enlightened
I have the Jetbeam PA10. If you plan to use 14500 batteries it has only one mode (Max). You can only change modes with AA batteries, but then the output is much lower. Apart from that it's a neat little light.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crelant V9, you have two choices, the R5 (better thrower) and the T6 (a bit floodier). The only issue is that the strobe is two mode switches away, not like the XT11 which is just one button press away.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I have the XT2C and love it to bits. My XT11 is still in the mail but I'm likely to leave that in the bag and not in my pocket. As you're not the "floody" type of guy, I'm not sure how you'll like the XT2C... I'm not sure about the Sunwayman V11R's beam. You might want to check it out. Or the Jetbeam PA10 if you're into single-mode lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight 600 is a great light. You would also be happy with an XTAR WK21 Meteor. It is programmable, cheap, and bright. Give it a look.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Hmmm... I might check that out myself, thanks hotwire!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MrWhatsinyourpockets

Newly Enlightened
the surefire fury seems to be right near your price range and it puts out 500 lumens on 2 cr123 batteries. *since there are almost no lights that can even compare to surefire quality at around 100 bucks this light is a steal. *