Anyone have experience with color LEDs? Trying to light up the front of a restaurant.

egghead2004

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine runs a small Chinese restaurant. He wants me to replace their CFL and old FL tube lighting outside in the front of the building with LEDs.
I was going to use warm white shining down from the eaves with bright cool white on the sign. Now he mentions colors. I haven't done anything with colors yet.
I see Newark has Optek, they have an assortment of stars, but I have no idea if they are any good.

The building is about 70 wide, single story.

Any ideas on some good high power color LEDs?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebels, Crees, etc. Plenty of colors and really bright. I do this indoors all the time and it's pretty easy.

It's an easy project unless he wants the colors to change, shift, etc.

egghead2004

Newly Enlightened
I see all the crees out there, but they are not on stars, or maybe I just have not found them yet.
I'll have to learn how to mount the LEDs to stars.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see all the crees out there, but they are not on stars, or maybe I just have not found them yet.
I'll have to learn how to mount the LEDs to stars.
I've had good results from LEDsupply. They had some royal blue Crees on stars on sale for a buck apiece a few months back. Look for 'extra options,' many sites will sell them without stars and charge about a dollar for the star MCPCB.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, if you don't need optics you are just as well off buying commercial LED strips that run off 12-24v. If you want optics to push the light down though you are generally going to have to do this yourself.

SemiMan

Banned
I would not even go commercial strips since this is an outdoor application. Go with LEDs designed for Outdoor signage applications, i.e. Sloan, Allanson, etc.

I think if you look, you will be able to get LED bulbs in colors from offshore suppliers for CFL replacement. Just buy some extras to compensate for likely so so driver life.

Semiman