4 Sevens
Page 54 of 137 FirstFirst ... 44447484950515253545556575859606164104 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 4088

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

  1. #1591
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by rjking View Post
    Just bought a Malkoff Nichia 219 from IlluminationSupply last week and now I'm getting drawn to the MD2 Camo, Hound Dog, MDC and M61L Nichia 219.

    Am I becoming a junkie?

    I really need to stop popping in here.
    That's the way it always starts.
    First, it's a harmless little drop-in purchase to see what all the talk is about.
    Then, before you know it, you're hooked!
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

  2. #1592
    Flashaholic diesel79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Don't leave out the Wildcat. That's my favorite Malkoff.

  3. #1593
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    malone, fl
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    Don't leave out the Wildcat. That's my favorite Malkoff.

    Yup. Mine is Wildcat V4/MD3/Judco switch.

  4. #1594

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    Don't leave out the Wildcat. That's my favorite Malkoff.
    One of the most impressive lights I've ever turned on. V4 XP-G2 here, MD4, Triad with McClicky.

  5. #1595
    Flashaholic diesel79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Mine is also the v4. I have had all of the Wildcats and this newest one is my favorite followed by v2 with the triple reflectors. Running mine in a MD4.

  6. #1596
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the northernmost Sweden
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Today I received my third package from Oveready: 2xM31N LL, M61N LLLL, M61N and an M60N.

    What a BEAUTIFUL tint! Pretty close to Malkoff Nichia 219 actually, but without the throw loss of the Nichia dropin. M61N is slightly brighter than original M61(very the same as M61SHO Nichia) but with MUCH more pleasant tint not very far from the tint of M61W either.
    M31N LL seems to have(have not yet tried it for extended time) similar brightness as M31LL, but with a SO MUCH nicer tint.
    M61N LLLL is the dimmest of all my Malkoff dropins, I guess around 25lm. The runtime should be very long.
    M60N is sligthly dimmer than the cool version and the beam of my example was not that focused as my cool white M60. But the tint is very nice!

    Much talk about tint yes, but it feels I will never have a cool white again when I can get these beautiful neutral options. I am SO excited about them!

    I also ordered an E to C adaptor. But when I place M31N LL in a C head and add it to Surefire E1L body with a CR123 it doesn't work, anyone who can give an answer what's missing here? I tried it with two different CR123 and they were not dead, it works when I place the dropin in VME head and E1L body.

    However, receiving package with any sort of Malkoff products is always like Christmas eve!
    Last edited by Swedpat; 03-04-2013 at 10:28 AM.

  7. #1597

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Today I received my third package from Oveready: 2xM31N LL, M61N LLLL, M61N and an M60N.What a BEAUTIFUL tint! Pretty close to Malkoff Nichia 219 actually, but without the throw loss of the Nichia dropin. M61N is slightly brighter than original M61(very the same as M61SHO Nichia) but with MUCH more pleasant tint not very far from the tint of M61W either. M31N LL seems to have(have not yet tried it for extended time) similar brightness as M31LL, but with a SO MUCH nicer tint.M61N LLLL is the dimmest of all my Malkoff dropins, I guess around 25lm. The runtime should be very long.M60N is sligthly dimmer than the cool version and the beam of my example was not that focused as my cool white M60. But the tint is very nice!Much talk about tint yes, but it feels I will never have a cool white again when I can get these beautiful neutral options. I am SO excited about them!I also ordered an E to C adaptor. But when I place M31N LL in a C head and add it to Surefire E1L body with a CR123 it doesn't work, anyone who can give an answer what's missing here? I tried it with two different CR123 and they were not dead, it works when I place the dropin in VME head and E1L body.However, receiving package with any sort of Malkoff products is always like Christmas eve!
    The E-to-C adaptor may not play well with certain hosts. The adaptor may add additional length in which the CR123 may not be long enough to contact the drop-in and tailcap at the same time. Shake the light to see if you can hear/feel the RCR123 sliding up and down. My megafive E-to-C adaptor works fine with a vital gear host, but does not work with a megafive SS 18350 host. Using a drop-in with a VME head works with both hosts.

  8. #1598
    Flashaholic* BenChiew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Malaysia/Ship to Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    3,078

    Default The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    as far as I'm aware weren't the 'older' W-series Malkoffs more neutral than the current ~3700K sorta W's?
    My untrained eyes puts the older W around the 4300k. It is in between 4000k of the M61N and 4500k of M61 219.

  9. #1599

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    I also ordered an E to C adaptor. But when I place M31N LL in a C head and add it to Surefire E1L body with a CR123 it doesn't work, anyone who can give an answer what's missing here? I tried it with two different CR123 and they were not dead, it works when I place the dropin in VME head and E1L body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerealand View Post
    The E-to-C adaptor may not play well with certain hosts.
    Its starting to look like the Malkoff may be to small/short for this adapter. I will add a warning and discuss with Gene.

    PM/EM's sent.

  10. #1600
    Flashaholic benthiccracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    406

    Default The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    I was having trouble with a fivemega e to c adapter and a fivemega e series tube. The problem was the bottom of the Malkoff dropin was not making negative contact with the tube.
    I want a torch to see Heaven 'cause I have doubts that's where I 'm going.
    Click to get CERAKOTE for your flashlights!

  11. #1601
    Flashaholic greatscoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    435

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    The WC and the HD both have their places.

    I have taken to using my XM-L2 doggie as a spotter when I need to have some distance.
    I put it on a MD2 with a pair of IMR 18350 cells, and it has about 20-25 minutes of run time on high with that.
    Real easy to carry on the belt with the short body on it.
    I just have to pay attention to my usage time because the IMR cells aren't protected. I'm pretty used to that, so it's okay for me.
    Makes a very handy package.

    Other times, I may put the WC head on the MD2 with the IMR cells.
    This is really good to know. I have an HD XML on its way and only an MD2 body. This is how I was planning to run it initially until I could pick up an MD3 body.
    "You done messed up A.A.Ron"

  12. #1602

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by benthiccracker View Post
    I was having trouble with a fivemega e to c adapter and a fivemega e series tube. The problem was the bottom of the Malkoff dropin was not making negative contact with the tube.
    I've had this issue from time to time as well, wrap a thin strip of aluminum foil around the base of the drop-in so it overlaps the negative contact area and rests on the potting, but does not, repeat, does NOT touch the positive contact spring. This has helped me a few times with Malkoffs and reluctant hosts.

  13. #1603

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Technically, is the current version of the Wildcat the V5 or V4.5? I have the version 4 that has less output than the current ones.... are the newest ones driven harder, or do they have different LEDs in them?

    I just ordered an MD3 tube for my Hound Dog XPG and ended up getting another MDC SHO. I was pretty close to adding a couple camo MD2s to the cart and them remembered all of the pink ones I already have. Haha. Malkoffaholic for sure!

  14. #1604
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    As far as I know, the V4 is the latest version of the Wildcat. The stats shown on the site match up to what was shown when I bought my V4 about three months ago. I record it to a document, since the Malkoff site doesn't have a discontinued products area.

    Grizz

  15. #1605
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by fresh eddie fresh View Post
    Technically, is the current version of the Wildcat the V5 or V4.5? I have the version 4 that has less output than the current ones.... are the newest ones driven harder, or do they have different LEDs in them?

    I just ordered an MD3 tube for my Hound Dog XPG and ended up getting another MDC SHO. I was pretty close to adding a couple camo MD2s to the cart and them remembered all of the pink ones I already have. Haha. Malkoffaholic for sure!
    The V4 is the latest version, and it has XP-G2 LEDs in it. No updates since that version. Gives 1350 lumens at turn on, and stabilizes for long term output at about 1150 or so.
    The V3 was an identical light with lower output using XP-G giving 900 lumens at turn on and stabilizes at 800 or so.
    It's possible that you have a V3. You can tell by looking down the optics when the light is off, and if the LED boards are green, it's XP-G and that would make it a V3. If you see the LED boards are silver, that would make it a V4 with XP-G2.
    The V2 has triple XP-G with 3 individual metal reflectors. 750 lumens.
    The V1 has 4 XRE-Q5 with 4 individual optics. 600 lumens.

    There are some warm or neutral variants of any of the above versions, made in small quantities, which will exhibit lower output levels due to the lower output of the warmer tint LEDs.
    Last edited by twl; 03-06-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

  16. #1606
    Flashaholic* Sparky's Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    Don't leave out the Wildcat. That's my favorite Malkoff.
    My Wildcat is an XP-G Hi CRI. in an MD4 with 2x18650, AW3100mAh. Cells. It's fantastic, a special that Gene knocked up and one of my favorites but, it is very large and doesn't get taken out often...on the other hand, my original MD2 Camo. with Judco switch and an M61W (4500K.), not only goes everywhere, it is indestructible; and it looks the 'Ducks' Nuts'. I should have a spare!
    Last edited by Sparky's Magic; 03-21-2013 at 09:55 PM.

  17. #1607
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    malone, fl
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Actucally the V4 stablilzes at 1150. Turns on at 1350. By far the brighest Malkoff.

  18. #1608
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by oldways View Post
    Actucally the V4 stablilzes at 1150. Turns on at 1350. By far the brighest Malkoff.
    Yes, that's right. Sorry for the mistake. I was thinking of the latest Hound Dog instead.
    Thanks for the correction.

    I edited my post with the corrected figures.
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

  19. #1609
    Flashaholic* BenChiew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Malaysia/Ship to Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    3,078

    Default The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    I am confused. How many versions of HD are there to date?

  20. #1610
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    I am confused. How many versions of HD are there to date?
    Hound Dog XPG (350 Lumens)
    Hound Dog XM-L (750 Lumens)
    Hound Dog XM-L2( (1150 Lumens)

    All 3 versions are listed at lumens at turn-on, and have somewhat lower output after being on for a while and reaching thermal stabilization.
    There also were various limited/custom special versions made with warm or neutral tints in the Hound Dogs also.
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

  21. #1611

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Is there a complete list of all production Malkoff lights/drop-ins with output and voltage ranges?

  22. #1612
    Flashaholic ToNIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinDWhite View Post
    Is there a complete list of all production Malkoff lights/drop-ins with output and voltage ranges?
    Here's an incomplete list : http://www.malkoffdevices.com/compare-flashlights.php

    Gene said he would eventually update it because it's dating.
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

  23. #1613
    Flashaholic* BenChiew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Malaysia/Ship to Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    3,078

    Default The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    There is one thread as a sticky under led section.

  24. #1614
    Flashaholic* cland72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Frisco, TX, USA
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    I got it in this morning's mail and I'm using it now (MD2, 3400 mah 18650 cell, high/low ring) and it's a nice cool white. as far as I'm able to tell in this room I'm in (not dark outside yet lol) it doesn't have any blue or purple. it appears to be your standard cool white tint to me.

    If you want I can attempt to take some rudimentary beamshots with either my iPod or Windows Phone to show you. are you at all interested? I'd probably do the photos when it gets dark for a more accurate representation. just holla!

    edit: also got a 17mm G2 --> 1x AA adapter (made of Delrin I believe) from Oveready and my M31N L works well on an L91 Energizer lithium primary and it still works well!! Malkoff stuff is the best!
    Interesting, it seems there is a tint lottery going on. Not that I mind - I bought the M61 knowing full well it would be for raw output, not tint. That's why I have a M61L 219 on the way :-)

  25. #1615

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    The V4 is the latest version, and it has XP-G2 LEDs in it. No updates since that version. Gives 1350 lumens at turn on, and stabilizes for long term output at about 1150 or so.
    The V3 was an identical light with lower output using XP-G giving 900 lumens at turn on and stabilizes at 800 or so.
    It's possible that you have a V3. You can tell by looking down the optics when the light is off, and if the LED boards are green, it's XP-G and that would make it a V3. If you see the LED boards are silver, that would make it a V4 with XP-G2.
    The V2 has triple XP-G with 3 individual metal reflectors. 750 lumens.
    The V1 has 4 XRE-Q5 with 4 individual optics. 600 lumens.

    There are some warm or neutral variants of any of the above versions, made in small quantities, which will exhibit lower output levels due to the lower output of the warmer tint LEDs.
    Thanks! That is good info! I think I must have confused it for the newer Hound Dog. My brain is not so good with stuff and things!

    I am slowly but surely picking up the older versions of these lights... I got a HD XPG recently and really like it. I have a WC V4 and V2... would love a V1 if one pops up for a good price. So addicting!

  26. #1616
    Flashaholic* tobrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Georgia Highway 441
    Posts
    4,226

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by cland72 View Post
    Interesting, it seems there is a tint lottery going on. Not that I mind - I bought the M61 knowing full well it would be for raw output, not tint. That's why I have a M61L 219 on the way :-)
    haha i was beginning to wonder if you saw my response or not

    i guess there is a lottery going on to an extent. your post about your m61 XP-G2 originally had me really worried lol
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

  27. #1617
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the northernmost Sweden
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by cland72 View Post
    Interesting, it seems there is a tint lottery going on. Not that I mind - I bought the M61 knowing full well it would be for raw output, not tint. That's why I have a M61L 219 on the way :-)
    All my Nichia 219(from Illumination Supply) and M31/61N(from Oveready) have very even tint, I guess they carefully control the tints to be enough close to the stated! No bad surprises!
    Last edited by Swedpat; 03-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.

  28. #1618
    Flashaholic el_Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    303

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    I did some measurement on the m61 210, here is the link, I think this could be interesting for you guys.

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...gulation-graph


    Sadly I don't own a regular m61, I will love to see how the regulation is different with a xpg or xpg2.

    regards

  29. #1619
    Flashaholic* cland72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Frisco, TX, USA
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    haha i was beginning to wonder if you saw my response or not

    i guess there is a lottery going on to an extent. your post about your m61 XP-G2 originally had me really worried lol
    I'm sorry to worry you, glad you are happy, and apologize for the delayed response. I just wasn't in a position to respond until today

  30. #1620
    Flashaholic greatscoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    435

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Got my HD XML today. Can't wait for dog walking time. Looks a little strange with the MD2. I guess I am going to have to order an MD3 body with my Camo MD2 order.
    Last edited by greatscoot; 03-07-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Pic Added
    "You done messed up A.A.Ron"

Page 54 of 137 FirstFirst ... 44447484950515253545556575859606164104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •