Imalent        
Page 373 of 394 FirstFirst ... 273323363366367368369370371372373374375376377378379380383 ... LastLast
Results 11,161 to 11,190 of 11791

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

We are now currently at 8 hrs. M61NLL 16650 keeppower 2500mah. Voltage right out of the light is 3.76v reading from my opus 3400b charger.

This will surely hit the 10hr mark before getting to direct drive at 3.4v.

I don't have a meter but I believe we are still at or near full output

EDIT: 9 hrs 3.71v still no change in output

10 hrs: 3.69v still no change

Have to leave for a while so i need to stop the test for a bit.

11hrs: 3.41v so it should be going into direct drive. I don't think there has been a change in output but I'm not certain (have been doing other things) it still appears to be full output or near full

12hrs 10min: 2.81v been on a steady decline in output just after the 11hr update. Still usable light to navigate though

13hrs: 2.76v right out of the light. Enough output to use indoors. Outside is enough to get around but not useful too far out, probably around 20ft

13.75hrs: pretty dim could get around inside. I can look directly at the light but it's still bright enough to mess with my eyes a little. If i had to guess i would say around 3 lumens. I'm calling the test at 14hrs.
    You could still find your way around the house but don't​expect to do any work with it at this point ending voltage at 14hrs right out of the light was 2.72v.

You can still use the light at this point but don't expect too much
    Last edited by INFRNL; 05-16-2017 at 01:26 AM.

A&Q Moderator

i bet it runs longer than the M61ll.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

I had a retard moment the other day about resistors for m31.
    My resistors stacked are in parallel, not series. So my 68ohm resistor in parallel with factory 75ohm resistor comes to 35.5ohms approx. So the 33ohm i quoted makes a little more sense now. I thought i was around the 140ohm mark which is what it would have been in series.

I bought the wrong resistors then, but i took 2x100ohm in parallel so it's 50ohms and so far is working fine on my m31L 219b

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    i bet it runs longer than the M61ll.
    Yes, i imagine it will provide a bit more runtime. But being 16650 vs 18650; I wasn't sure what to expect

Ok, I'm going to use this post for mental notes.

On my M31L 219b a 50ohm resistor is close to the minimum needed to get h/l ring to function properly. 68 ohm will not work. A 55-60 may possibly work but I'm not going to dig into it anymore.

My current goal/project is to get the M31L 219b to put out half of full output on low. High is rated at 80lm. I won't be able to dial it in until my meter arrives later this week.

My conclusion so far is this: 5-10ohm resistor is a good balance between low and high both being useable outdoors. 2.5ohms gets me real close to the output of this module on 1 aa eneloop pro(which in theory should be 35-40lm). However even though the 2.5ohm output is slightly less bright, the difference from high is not all that much. It is somewhat noticeable but i don't think there's quite enough of a difference. I may end up just going with something between 5-10ohms. I will also make a ring using a resistor between 33-50 ohm for the normal low(just to have the option). A 1.5-2ohm resistor would probably make a near perfect match to the 1 eneloop output; probably no more than a 1ohm resistor though.

Another project is doing something similar for my m91w and wildcat v6. I feel for outdoor use the low side is slightly lacking.
    I'm going to try a 50ohm resistor to start and go from there. I tried the 5 and 10 ohm resistors but there wasn't enough of a difference. My initial guess is 33-50 ohm should give me what I'm after.

For repotting, i haven't found a compound yet and i honestly don't think the resistor on the ring benefits any from it. The resistor is already stable enough by itself with no movement. So securing it with compound seems unnecessary. If you look the Gene only partially potts the resistor anyway.

I csn understand potting the module though. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by INFRNL; 05-16-2017 at 01:50 AM.

A&Q Moderator

Any update on the M61NLL runtime test?
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

I kept all updates in the same post #11161

Recap: M61NLL in vme on mdc16650 with keeppower 16650 2500mah. Starting voltage shy of full @4.10v. test was stopped and restarted a couple times during test (for sleep and family event)

11hrs full output or near full to 3.41v

Shortly after 11hrs, steady decline to a low level ouput. Test stopped at 14hrs but light could still be used indoors. Voltage at 14hrs was 2.72v. not sure what voltage ended up being after rested.

15-15.5 hrs light is still going but is in a moonlight mode. I can easily look directly at the light without any effect to my eyes/vision

EDIT: I ran the light till it completely cut off: 17-17.5hrs end voltage 2.66v
    Last edited by INFRNL; 05-16-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Quick mental note.

When I sent my m361 219b to Gene, he added a 240ohm resistor in parallel to the factory 75ohm resistor. I just checked to see what the result was and it comes out to 57ohms.

This did not allow the m31L 219b to function properly. So i am going to state that a 50ohm resistor is almost definitely the minimum that is needed to get the h/l ring to properly function with an M31L 219b.

I do not have any other m31s so i am not sure if this would apply to all of them or just the L 219b.

On this note, an MDC with h/l would be a nice dream for me. But this is u likely since there is no extra room to work with

First Malkoff! I love the balance between spot and spill, and the beautiful neutral tint. I just ordered the m61n for my 6p, how does it compare in beam tint and shape to the mdc head?

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Mattj96 View Post

First Malkoff! I love the balance between spot and spill, and the beautiful neutral tint. I just ordered the m61n for my 6p, how does it compare in beam tint and shape to the mdc head?
    Congrats! Nice lights MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    What do I need to make this work? What kind of extender am looking for..
    I want to use 2 16650 in my 6p ( one cell already inside the light )
    Solarforce sells a HA 2x18650 body. I believe it's compatible with the SF head and tail.
    You and others like you might be the reason lights aren't (even) better made. People buying new flashlights like people devoutly buying the next generation of smart phones, are they pushing innovation or just consumption? Wider head for even more throw. Wow. That's new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattj96
    i'll let someone give you better details. I do not have the neutral MDC yet so i can't compare tint color. beam profile between the MDC and M61N should be very similar.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 05-16-2017 at 04:08 PM.

A package arrived today. another will arrive tomorrow, then i can do a new family photo The MD2 is existing, just shown for comparison to the MD 1.5 & MD1

INFRNL, I will no longer use an edc configuration on a solarforce l2m host with a 16340 battery (700mha) or a 18350 battery (900mha). I will use the mdc host 16650 (2500mha) with the neutral mdc head or the vme head with one of my m361lmh dropins (cool, neutral ou nichia).

I'm doing this to have more battery time ... I imagine that the mdc host size will not bother me in the pocket since it's fine ...

I think it's worth the sacrifice of carrying a slightly larger flashlight in the pocket.

I even thought about putting together a md1 host, but would trade 6 (md1) for half a dozen(solarforce l2m) in terms of battery.

with the md1 I would gain a better quality host and high / low ring, but would still be limited in runtime.

You have more experience with mdc, what do you say to me?

Infrnl,

Do you know what you get for runtimes on the M31L 219b with a single CR 123A primary battery type? My M31W seems to get very short run-time off a primary and I'm wondering if the 219B L is much of an improvement.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    INFRNL, I will no longer use an edc configuration on a solarforce l2m host with a 16340 battery (700mha) or a 18350 battery (900mha). I will use the mdc host 16650 (2500mha) with the neutral mdc head or the vme head with one of my m361lmh dropins (cool, neutral ou nichia).

I'm doing this to have more battery time ... I imagine that the mdc host size will not bother me in the pocket since it's fine ...

I think it's worth the sacrifice of carrying a slightly larger flashlight in the pocket.

I even thought about putting together a md1 host, but would trade 6 (md1) for half a dozen(solarforce l2m) in terms of battery.

with the md1 I would gain a better quality host and high / low ring, but would still be limited in runtime.

You have more experience with mdc, what do you say to me?
    I'm not sure how i want to answer this. For me, I really like the true MDC lights(full MDC)with 3 modes. Output and beam profile are very close to M31/M61 modules but in a smaller footprint. I currently have no use for single mode lights which is why I love the md's with high/low.

I will agree though that using an m361 variant in a vme on 16650 mdc body is the only way I would run an M61 on an mdc body. A power hungry light like this needs to have the larger battery unless you will rarely use the high mode, but i think 16650 would still be my choice. Although i prefer M316N in MD with high/low for 6 modes. Being that my M361 219B acted up, is why i chose to put it into an MDC 16650; seemed like the most logical option instead of selling it. I also have the option to run it in an MD body with aluminum ring.

The only module I would consider running single mode in VME is my M31L 219b. I can run it on Primary, 1aa, 2aa but it would be more of an emergency light and rarely used. Using the M31 in an MD body with or without high/low limits us to MD1 with primary, MD1.5 with aa(eneloop), or MD3 with 2AA(eneloops)

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by badbs101 View Post
    Infrnl,

Do you know what you get for runtimes on the M31L 219b with a single CR 123A primary battery type? My M31W seems to get very short run-time off a primary and I'm wondering if the 219B L is much of an improvement.

Thanks.
    I recently did a test and sacrificed a primary but I don't recall if it was the M31L 219 or the mdc 219. I'll have to go back and look. otherwise i could sacrifice another to get you results. In theory the 219b will be the least efficient. However from some previous runtime tests, the nichia will provide full output for pretty much the same time as the Cree. The cree excels when the light gets into direct drive and tapers down in output. Depending on the module and cell used determines what is more feasible.

I would guess that you should get around an hour of runtime on the m31W on a primary. I'll get back to you on this. i'll just go ahead and do a test. I'll move it to a vme head even though the test should in theory be the same in an MD1 body.

Quote Originally Posted by badbs101 View Post
    Infrnl,

Thanks.
    Ok, I am not sure what voltage a new primary should read. i have a bunch of battery station and streamlight primaries. the ones i checked range from 3.04-3.3v I picked a batterstation primary with voltage of 3.14v

I am not sure what you are considering very short runtime?

M31L 219B- VME head on MDC 123 body:

1.25hrs: still full output and producing heat. The side of the head was around 100deg F, now around 102 deg, so I think we will see a change soon. I do not like to measure the lens side because the light gives off a false reading, should be a few deg warmer at the lens compared to the side near the top.

1.5hrs: still full output and creeping up on temps. Head is now around 108deg, body is maintaining around 100deg

1.75hrs: output still full, temps getting close to 110deg and body is around 105-106deg

2 hrs: Starting to cool, output at/near full. Will add voltage in a sec. we should be starting the decline now. voltage is 1.17, so we are in direct drive now and technically output should be about half of full output (approx 40lm on this module) but it is still very bright, I cannot look directly at it and i do not have a meter for accurate measurements.

so approx 2hrs of full output on M31l 219b: to me, that is pretty good. i would have been happy with just 1 hr. If you want more runtime, maybe 2xaa eneloops/primaries would be a better option.

2.25hrs: Can see a difference in output compared to when first started but still plenty of output. We should see a steady/gradual decline down to around .8v

2.5-2.75hrs: output is definitely dropping at a steady rate. I'm not sure what output is especially during the day but i think it is only enough that you could find your way in the dark or indoors. Would need a different light if you wanted to see around and be able to spot things. I have a mean headache today but i can look directly at the light but I have to squint just a touch and it bothers my headache. on a normal day, I could probably look directly at it with a slight impairment to normal vision

3.5 hrs: I can still kind of see around my attic but not with a lot of detail. still enough output to get around. will be leaving for dinner here in about 45mins, so i will have to stop the test then.

4 hrs: still going and enough to navigate

4.5-4.75hrs: getting to a pretty low output. I would say somewhere between 3-8 lumen. Probably enough to light your way inside.

5.75: still going. if eyes are adjusted, you can still navigate your way. Indoors you can kind of see around rooms but not with great detail.

6hrs: was in a moonlight mode, went to check voltage: .75v. put the primary back in and would not turn back on.

END of test: i would say the M31 provides plenty of usable runtime
    Last edited by INFRNL; 05-17-2017 at 10:12 PM.

@Marco: another good option would be an md1.5 with a panasonic 2000mah 18500 (either protected or unprotected)

Flashaholic

[QUOTE=INFRNL;5095984]...The MD2 is existing, just shown for comparison to the MD 1.5 & MD1...QUOTE]

MD 1.5???
    I'm not quite as iliterate as my typos would suggest.

There is a member that cuts down md2 bodies and re-machines the tailcap threads and spot for the oring. He can either make md1 or md 1.5.

MD1 is for primaries, 16340, rcr123

MD1.5 is for 18500 cells

he actually used an MD3 body for this particular MD1.5
    Last edited by INFRNL; 05-19-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Flashaholic

Ahhh... ok. I have an MD1 but hadn't heard of the 1.5.
    I'm not quite as iliterate as my typos would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by KBobAries View Post
    Ahhh... ok. I have an MD1 but hadn't heard of the 1.5.
    Me either till someone mentioned it or i saw it on Martin's thread about this service, can't quite recall.

So now i have some lights with MD1, MD1.5, MD2, MD3, MD4

Thank you for this. The m61nll on a 16650 is exactly what I want to put in my c2 and now I know how it will run. I have an m61n in it now but want something to swap it to a lower output for more gneral use. The 61n will move to a 6p on rifle. I will probably end up buying two and putting one in my car g2 as well.

you are the pervert of md hosts
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Me either till someone mentioned it or i saw it on Martin's thread about this service, can't quite recall.

So now i have some lights with MD1, MD1.5, MD2, MD3, MD4
    I'm interested in host md1.
    But having to sacrifice a md2 host is a sad thing

I've been thinking about the idea of a mdc cr123 + vme head

At least alternatives are not lacking

Flashaholic

Anybody else doing an MD 1.5 with a ZR Shorty to run an 18650 in a small host?

Wouldn't the 18650 require an uncut MD2?
    Fully potted or bust...

Flashaholic

The Oveready Zero Rez Shorty is a twisty tailcap that gives you back 15mm, so an 18500 body can run an 18650 cell, same for an 18350 body can run an 18500.

Did it with an MD1 and a 18500. Trouble is, a twisty (my favourite) on such a short light is a pain in the ass with a Hi/Lo ring. There's not enough actual body to grip to turn either of them.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol600rr View Post
    Thank you for this. The m61nll on a 16650 is exactly what I want to put in my c2 and now I know how it will run. I have an m61n in it now but want something to swap it to a lower output for more general use. The 61n will move to a 6p on rifle. I will probably end up buying two and putting one in my car g2 as well.
    Definitely a good way to go if you are after killer runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    you are the pervert of md hosts
    haha

I'm interested in host md1.
    But having to sacrifice a md2 host is a sad thing

I've been thinking about the idea of a mdc cr123 + vme head

At least alternatives are not lacking
    rstype has an MD1 for sale at a decent price in the for sale section and someone bought one the other day for an even better price(more like a steal)

To ease your mind a bit on the sacrifice: I know Martin has a deal worked out with gene for the bodies he gets. From the ones i received, I think they are factory seconds(blemished) pieces; so it's not a full sacrifice. Also Martin takes the scrap/left over metal, melts it down and reuses the metal for other things.

So yes it is kind of a bummer but Martin makes the absolute best of the situation and does not let anything go to waste

MDC123 + VME is a good alternative as long as you are ok with single mode or use an M361 (but runtime would not be so great on high)

We definitely have options and that is one reason my Malkoff family has grown so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Strintguy View Post
    The Oveready Zero Rez Shorty is a twisty tailcap that gives you back 15mm, so an 18500 body can run an 18650 cell, same for an 18350 body can run an 18500.
    Do you or Peter have any pics you could share with us? this sounds very interesting and definitely gives us another option

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Did it with an MD1 and a 18500. Trouble is, a twisty (my favourite) on such a short light is a pain in the ass with a Hi/Lo ring. There's not enough actual body to grip to turn either of them.
    P
    I fully understand. Last night I was playing with the MD1 with high/low ring. i thought I was backing off the head but I was actually moving the tailcap instead. So to make sure this doesn't happen, I tighten the very short bodies down with tailcap more than I normally would (by hand).

even the MD1.5 doesn't leave much to grip onto but it's better than the MD1.

NOTE to anyone interested: rstype has lowered his price on an MD1 even more (down to $30). these are normally $55. Great opportunity for someone. Lowest I've seen one sold for recently is $25(but don't know the condition it was in)

with fees and shipping, he is basically just sending this to a better home.... the rest might get him a few gals of gas or a meal
    Last edited by INFRNL; 05-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Page 373 of 394 FirstFirst ... 273323363366367368369370371372373374375376377378379380383 ... LastLast