Olight - R50        
Page 389 of 403 FirstFirst ... 289339379382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396399 ... LastLast
Results 11,641 to 11,670 of 12077

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I'm looking for something that can extend the life of a box of primary batteries in an emergency and can also serve as a night hiking/camping light.
    Yep ... LL (with Hi/Lo Ring) is perfect for that

Frankly, you could even go LLL, but those are sometimes tough to find
    ... is the archimedes peak

A&Q Moderator

The one on the right (double orings) is the old setup and the one on left (single thin oring) is the new. Call me crazy but I like the old.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yep ... LL (with Hi/Lo Ring) is perfect for that

Frankly, you could even go LLL, but those are sometimes tough to find
    I run a bright yellow G2 with M61NLL for an ER light using primaries. It replaced my OD G2 M60LL. Have a M61LL with Hi/Low ring head for the MD2 as well for that purpose.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    I actually asked Gene about it a while ago. He said that he had tried it but that a neutral XP-L HI for some reason creates a nasty dark yellow hotspot.
    I made that inquiry as well being a neutral fan myself and received the same answer. The tint on my M61T isn't really bad but with no neutral forthcoming I used a piece of photography lighting filter bring it more into the neutral range and have been happy with the results.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Quote Originally Posted by scs View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like it wouldn't suit my preference. I wonder if Gene has specific reasons to keep the knurling less aggressive. No snagging perhaps?
    Exactly. They started out as lights for police, and first responders. Easy deployment from holsters is key with a lack of wear to their polyester uniforms also considered.
    Often times these folks are wearing gloves that provides a better grip to things like flashlights and their other duty tools.

Many a flashlight has no knurling, light knurling or knurling in specific locations. Some for decoration as much as function. I'd speculate Gene Malkoff picked a style of knurling and being that most of his customers are perfectly satisfied with it he just sticks with what works... Malkoff style.
    John 3:16
    "I'm still a Toys R Us kid" -PK

Okay. help me out guys.

My favorite EDC Malkoff to date is the Malkoff MDX22.3-M61HOT Throw Head running off a single 18650.

But now I see Gene is offering the M91T head. Which seems brighter.

Should I switch to a new favorite?

Since I am fairly committed to the 18650 batteries, if I go with the M91T head should I mate it with the MD4 body. or stick with the MD3? The MD2 body seems more conducive to the EDC role, but I guess that's out of the question?

- Thomas
    "I thought I made a mistake once........

..........but it turned out I was wrong."

I wouldn't worry, you've got a 20% increae in output which you'd be pushed to notice unless side by side, and a 5% increase in lux which again you'd be pushed to notice. Runtimes, I guess will be similar MD2 vs MD3 on li ions, although MD4 would probaly be a bit better. I you want to stay small, stick with what you've got.
    P

Have you ever thought about getting the head of the hound dog 18650?

You can use the md2 host with it.

The hound dog 18650 is (in my opinion) one of the most versatile and powerful lanterns.

Several friends here in the group have already recommended this model.

Beamshots that can be studied:

Http://flashlightguide.com/2016/09/r...und-dog-18650/

Http://2007www.candlepowerforums.com...Part-2/page183

Wish I did this sooner. Came across a mixture of o-rings that my dad gave me a while back. A few of them ended up being a nice little addition to my MDC's and Hound Dog. Even just the one I put on my MDC's made a noticeable improvement in grip.

20170814_104543 by D Hunley, on Flickr

20170814_104457 by D Hunley, on Flickr

Dhunley1, it's a different and interesting idea to use o-rings. Just like the bike gripps this solution seems to be cheap and effective.
    I'm still waiting for the surefire combat rings. That ringed model seems to give a lot of security when holding the flashlight.
    Even if you open your hand, the flashlight will hang from your finger ...

Also the Raven "Surefire P and G series Pocket Clip" with retention ring. You could likely improvise something similar with an o-ring and the standard Surefire lanyard ring.
    "We canít just go with MBAV because itís out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    Wish I did this sooner. Came across a mixture of o-rings that my dad gave me a while back. A few of them ended up being a nice little addition to my MDC's and Hound Dog. Even just the one I put on my MDC's made a noticeable improvement in grip.

20170814_104543 by D Hunley, on Flickr

20170814_104457 by D Hunley, on Flickr

Interesting concept.
    Malkoff Devices!

By curiosity I placed M91T head to MD2 body and an 18650. The cell was not really fully charged. And it worked: around 400 lumens! After 1 hour the output was still around 270lumen or so. Nice that M91T, like Super Hound Dog, actually can be used with a single Li-ion!

Flashaholic*

I thought HD Super was something like 5-12V... I don't remember explicitly but it def takes 4x123 or 3x18650 cells meaning the lower boundary is at least 5V.

Now there is that 18650 HD..a different beast
    Malkoff Devices!

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post

Yeah, if you want maximum power from an MD2 body, this is the way to go.
    Fully potted or bust...

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    I thought HD Super was something like 5-12V... I don't remember explicitly but it def takes 4x123 or 3x18650 cells meaning the lower boundary is at least 5V.

I read Super HD is 7-12V and M91T is 5,5-12V. I think these numbers refer to the voltage range where the light is regulated, because both runs with a single Li-Ion.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Yeah, if you want maximum power from an MD2 body, this is the way to go.
    Yes, the efficiency with 18650 HD is obviously significantly higher than with Super HD and M91T.

Do you guys have any holster recommendations for the 18650 HD? I'm just looking for something simple: nylon with a velcro-secured top, has a belot loop, etc. I don't want one of those holsters where half of the flashlight is exposed -- the more coverage, the better.

Do a google on flashlights for holsters that will fit a Surefire 6P.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by UpstandingCitizen View Post
    Do you guys have any holster recommendations for the 18650 HD? I'm just looking for something simple: nylon with a velcro-secured top, has a belot loop, etc. I don't want one of those holsters where half of the flashlight is exposed -- the more coverage, the better.
    Pls check on Maxpedition, they have 5in. flashlight sheath.
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

I just ordered my first Nichia Malkoff, and it happens to also be my first 3v Malkoff: an M31L 219B V2.

Running on 2xAA in a C3, I think it will complement the M61WLLs in my G2 and G3 very well.

That sounds awesome Grijon, never thought about a 2x AA in a c3 before! Great idea and a nice 219b out of the business end

I use the five inch sheath from Maxpedition with my HD 18650. It's more than adequate.
    Fully potted or bust...

Thanks, guys! Will check out the Maxpedition holster.

Thanks, ven! I'm pretty excited for it.

I plan to get some dummy CR123As down the road so that I can run this dropin on a single CR123A in 2- and 3-cell bodies, too.

A&Q Moderator

My first Malkoff failure. (edit this is a joke. It was user error. LOL!)

Loaned the light to my visiting aunt who needed one. Figured a twisty would be the simplest however knew there would be an issue as she kept twisting the tail the wrong way. The light was dead the next day. Figured she left it on but odds are the protection circuit fired. But the battery was around 4.1 volts. Then realized the head was twisted loose. LOL!

The G3 with a M31L runs great on 1XCR123 but prefer 2XAA and it does 1XAA rather well. Run a G3.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 08-20-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Not really a failure. Sounds bad for Malkoff when it sounds like user error.

Newbie here... been following this forum for years. Until last week I've been satisfied (or so I thought) with a "promo" Maglite I've had for a couple years and a few inexpensive Coast brand LED's as well as a couple of the 20 buck LED offerings via Amazon. The lights were super bright (or so I thought) so I could never get my head around the list prices for some of the various high end flashlights mentioned in this forum. Trying to justify the price was my biggest obstacle. However, last week that all changed, I decided I had stop procrastinating and buy one of these "real" flashlights just to see what all the fuss was about. After years of reading of articles and reviews on Elzetta, Malkoff, Terralux, Surefire etc, I settled on Malkoff and purchased a MD4 Wildcat V6, neutral variant.

WOW... okay... now I understand, both in terms of build quality and light output. Now I have another problem... the Hound Dog 18650 is whispering in my ear.. or is it the Hound Dog XM-L Head for use with my MD4 body... maybe the MD2 M61 HOT... (sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    I thought the same thing... I came up short when I read the heading "My first Malkoff failure."

"Thought I had my first Malkoff failure"... would have been more accurate. In any event I was glad to discover it really wasn't a failure.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    It was a joke, not what happened but that it was a malkoff failure. Yes total user failure/error. LOL! I mean of course it will fail if someone twists the head off! I was totally surprised that some how my aunt found a way to temporarily take down a Malkoff in a SF host. Didn't think user error was possible but dang. LOL!

edit. I am going to need to add something to the OP as people aren't getting it.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 08-20-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Love that set up in tan flavour WW

Page 389 of 403 FirstFirst ... 289339379382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396399 ... LastLast