Angryfox        
Page 392 of 561 FirstFirst ... 292342382385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399402442492 ... LastLast
Results 11,731 to 11,760 of 16827

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

I emailed Gene and he said he would swap the neutral 4000k led that's offered in the MDC AA into the 2AA. I went ahead and ordered one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    We need MDC 2AA in Neutral & Nichia219b

So I'm looking hard at the MDC line. I've been carrying an MD2 daily in my left front pocket (with a Triad Tail-cap/pocket clip) for many years now. I think at this point I'm ready to try something lighter and smaller. I'm not really a fan of multi-mode lights but I might be able to deal with the standard MDC low-low _ Medium_High setup or I could always get the SHO 1CR123 version. I've been using my single output MD2 (325 lumen M61 version) at work everyday (warehouse) and I just use the spill when the beam is too bright. The SHO is "only" 250 lumens so I can't see that this would be any worse. Problem is the reports of PWM have me a bit worried. I have searched and I can't seem to dig up the relevant posts/threads where the PWM is discussed in detail or show with pictures.

My main questions are:

How BAD is the PWM on the standard CR123 MDC? And does the SHO single output CR123 version also have PWM? And does anyone have a video that shows the PWM? Or is this only possible with static pics? A detailed thorough review of the current build SHO CR123 would be nice as well!

Anyone?
    Last edited by WebHobbit; 09-10-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks, Peter! I've taken your advice and have successfully completed a dry run. It's comforting to know that I can do this at any time.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    I emailed Gene and he said he would swap the neutral 4000k led that's offered in the MDC AA into the 2AA. I went ahead and ordered one.
    Nice lateral thinking, sir. Now you've got a multi-mode, high output, AA light with reverse polarity protection. Why didn't I think to ask about this?

My new EDC light;

MDC HA 1CR123 Body

VME Malkoff Valiant Concepts Head

P60 style M61N 300 Lumen Drop-in

A Lithium-Maganese IMR 16340 700mah cell is used to power this particular drop-in which provides about 30 minutes of run time

VME's acrylic front lens was replaced with a float glass multi-layer broadband AR lens...

...and as I always do, I installed a DIY finger lanyard for easier handling and retention of the light;

Quote Originally Posted by WebHobbit View Post
    So I'm looking hard at the MDC line. I've been carrying an MD2 daily in my left front pocket (with a Triad Tail-cap/pocket clip) for many years now. I think at this point I'm ready to try something lighter and smaller. I'm not really a fan of multi-mode lights but I might be able to deal with the standard MDC low-low _ Medium_High setup or I could always get the SHO 1CR123 version. I've been using my single output MD2 (325 lumen M61 version) at work everyday (warehouse) and I just use the spill when the beam is too bright. The SHO is "only" 250 lumens so I can't see that this would be any worse. Problem is the reports of PWM have me a bit worried. I have searched and I can't seem to dig up the relevant posts/threads where the PWM is discussed in detail or show with pictures.

My main questions are:

How BAD is the PWM on the standard CR123 MDC? And does the SHO single output CR123 version also have PWM? And does anyone have a video that shows the PWM? Or is this only possible with static pics? A detailed thorough review of the current build SHO CR123 would be nice as well!

Anyone?
    See my post above. Pick up a MDC body of your choice, a VME head and use your M61.

I dig what you're posting, but wouldn't an M31 be altogether better suited to this application?

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I dig what you're posting, but wouldn't an M31 be altogether better suited to this application?
    If I ever decide to use standard CR123A batteries, yes.

M31 works perfect with one or two AA cells.

Quote Originally Posted by WebHobbit View Post

My main questions are:

Anyone?
    Can't speak for everyone, but I've never noticed, much less been bothered by, PWM on my 123 MDC. Perhaps some are more sensitive than others to it. The MDC is a great light.

The only time I ever noticed PWM on any of the MDCs that I've owned is when taking beam shots. Never noticed it at all in actual use.
    Quote Originally Posted by glimmer View Post
    Can't speak for everyone, but I've never noticed, much less been bothered by, PWM on my 123 MDC. Perhaps some are more sensitive than others to it. The MDC is a great light.

Gene Malkoff just answered my email on this and he said the SHO 123 does NOT have PWM.

Last edited by WebHobbit; 09-10-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Flashaholic

Quick question...has anyone tried regular unprotected 16650s (UR16650ZTA) in the 16650 MDC? It appears the springs have just enough length that the shorter cells should work, but it will be close, so I was hoping to make sure before my next cell order.

Similarly, how about unprotected 18650s (NCR18650B or the like) in the Hound Dog 18650?

I understand why Gene so strongly recommends protected cells, but for single-cell applications and someone familiar with Li-ion safety, I'd just as soon save a few bucks. Having said that, I know Gene builds the lights around protected cells, so I want to make sure the shorter unprotected will fit snugly enough before I order a bunch. :-)
    Home of the Throw-Monster!

Yes to both, no problem.
    Dont forget the lights have no cut off.
    For your guide, it's Sanyo 16650 IMR and Aw 18650 LiCo with the protection removed. Also checked with an AWT High Drain 18650.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 09-11-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Yes to both, no problem.
    Dont forget the lights have no cut off.
    For your guide, it's Sanyo 16650 IMR and Aw 18650 LiCo with the protection removed. Also checked with an AWT High Drain 18650.
    P
    Wonderful! Thank you so much for checking, Peter!! In addition to saving a buck or two, I'll be able to charge the unprotected 16650s to the full 4.35 to squeeze out a few more minutes of runtime.

I usually don't run my lights very low anyway. In the case of the MDC, I always carry an extra cell, so I typically replace it when I see it drop out of regulation (unless I'm in dire straights, i.e. lost out in the woods or something). At ~3.4V, that is plenty of safety margin.

Thanks again, sir!
    Home of the Throw-Monster!

I have to say that I've given up on protected cells (except in my 2 cell tubes) as even though they were AWs they were letting me down. I've removed the proctection circuits and rewrapped them.
    The AWT IMRs are new to me so I'm hoping for good results.
    P

I just got my most recent box of goodies from Malkoff today! First off I got an M61W for a Surefire G2Z incan that I found NOS in a local store. Had to have been there forever since it's been discontinued for a long time, and it was marked down accordingly. Now it's been upgraded! I also got an M31W, a VME head and a 2 x AA MDC-style body. It wasn't based on a real need as I'm pretty much set up for CR123a in everything but it seemed like a fun and handy light to assemble for camping, car use, emergencies, etc. Kudos to WoodsWalker for the omnivore flashlight video he posted- it lead me setting up a new light. Now I just need to get a couple of spacers and adapters and I will be set up to run it off of whatever batteries can be found.

Ha! Yea pretty pleased that he was able to make that happen. Cathy said it would ship out tomorrow so I should have it in hand in a few days to try out. Can't imagine that I'll be even remotely disappointed QUOTE=Modernflame;5130528]Nice lateral thinking, sir. Now you've got a multi-mode, high output, AA light with reverse polarity protection. Why didn't I think to ask about this?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyMike View Post
    Quick question...has anyone tried regular unprotected 16650s (UR16650ZTA) in the 16650 MDC? It appears the springs have just enough length that the shorter cells should work, but it will be close, so I was hoping to make sure before my next cell order.

Similarly, how about unprotected 18650s (NCR18650B or the like) in the Hound Dog 18650?

I understand why Gene so strongly recommends protected cells, but for single-cell applications and someone familiar with Li-ion safety, I'd just as soon save a few bucks. Having said that, I know Gene builds the lights around protected cells, so I want to make sure the shorter unprotected will fit snugly enough before I order a bunch. :-)
    I never use protected cells in my Hound Dog 18650. Unprotected cells fit perfectly well, although they are not quite as snug as a protected cell when the tail cap is tightened down. There is a slight rattle, owing to the difference in length, but only if the light is intentionally shaken. It is not noticeable during normal use and does not affect the function of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyMike View Post
    Quick question...how about unprotected 18650s (NCR18650B or the like) in the Hound Dog 18650?
    I only run unprotected cells in my 18650 Hound Dog as the only failure I've had was a protection circuit failing when I dropped the light. I also slightly stretch the head springs on all my Malkoff lights. If you have a connection issue stretching the spring will fix it.

Is anyone out there willing and able to take a beam shot comparison between the M31(L,LL,LLL) 219b that Illumn has been selling next to Malkoff's neutral 4000k MDC that he is offering??

That MDC 1CR123 / VMW head combo looks sweet!

Does anyone know if Gene plans on making an M31N or M31NL module? That would make for a great every day carry setup, too.

Heck, a single-cell stock MDC with only one mode in a neutral tint would be awesome while I'm at it.

What's with the big clips on these? I understand some pant pockets and backpacks are a little thicker than others, but an entire 1/4" away from the body? The part doing the actual holding is tight at the end, so why does 90% of the thing need to be a mile away from the body? I just hate that look and waste of a sleek flashlight/clip.
    GOOD TINT!

Presume you mean the solarforce clip mark above, yes not the easiest on the eye either. I had one on an L2T for a bit..............then just took it off and left it off. As a clip, it does work ok and makes a great anti roll, just too bulky imo for comfort.

Allow me to call off this request and comment that the Malkoff neutral 4000k is BETTER in my opinion than the Nichia 219b version. This is mainly due to the lack of the ring in the beam that the Nichia version gives off. About to take my new MDC 2AA neutral outside and give it a whirl, but first impressions are very good. I've owned the 6200k single AA and 2AA versions as well as the single AA Nichia and this Neutral is a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    Is anyone out there willing and able to take a beam shot comparison between the M31(L,LL,LLL) 219b that Illumn has been selling next to Malkoff's neutral 4000k MDC that he is offering??

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    That MDC 1CR123 / VMW head combo looks sweet!

Does anyone know if Gene plans on making an M31N or M31NL module? That would make for a great every day carry setup, too.
    Thanks, I'm quite pleased with it!

Interestingly, the color temp is not listed for the M31 or M31L, only the M31W (3000K). Since the emitter is the XP-G2, I'm wondering if the lower voltage is causing enough of a color shift toward warmer that Gene can't list it as cool 6200K or a neutral 4000K. I guess the only way to find out is to ask Gene.

I also have a neutral Hound Dog 18650 which is considerably warmer than the M61N that I'm using in this light.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
    I just got my most recent box of goodies from Malkoff today! First off I got an M61W for a Surefire G2Z incan that I found NOS in a local store. Had to have been there forever since it's been discontinued for a long time, and it was marked down accordingly. Now it's been upgraded! I also got an M31W, a VME head and a 2 x AA MDC-style body. It wasn't based on a real need as I'm pretty much set up for CR123a in everything but it seemed like a fun and handy light to assemble for camping, car use, emergencies, etc. Kudos to WoodsWalker for the omnivore flashlight video he posted- it lead me setting up a new light. Now I just need to get a couple of spacers and adapters and I will be set up to run it off of whatever batteries can be found.

G2Z has been my go light for years with a Malkoff. How does the M31W run off 1XAA? I bet the same as the M31L as it defaults to DD. I like the warm tint on the M61WL so betting that's the same as well.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

I haven't tried it yet, I'll need to get a spacer/dummy cell first. Right now it's running on 2 x AA. The old G2z is a great host for sure. One of mine has a Malkoff with the 219 and the new one has the 61W.

A&Q Moderator

Packing the M61NLL for backup for tonight's workout.

Last edited by Woods Walker; 09-16-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Page 392 of 561 FirstFirst ... 292342382385386387388389390391392393394395396397398399402442492 ... LastLast