RMSK, Inc.        
Page 400 of 403 FirstFirst ... 300350390393394395396397398399400401402403 LastLast
Results 11,971 to 12,000 of 12070

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    I just purchased a MD2 body. To upgrade from the standard tailcap to the Tricap is a $1 increase
    Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    This is what I did. Definitely a no brainer.
    I'm such an idiot; What the heck was I thinking. With this option, you get the MD2 body for $5.
    Oh well, I guess that's what i get for being in a hurry and not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I'm such an idiot; What the heck was I thinking. With this option, you get the MD2 body for $5.
    Oh well, I guess that's what i get for being in a hurry and not paying attention.
    Thats exactly what I did
    ordered MD2 and then later placed my order for a Tricap,cost me some $$$,
    but now ... I have two caps to choose which one I like more
    I'm not sure if Tricap option was before,may be I miss it...
    Last edited by Beard Man; 10-12-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    I just purchased a MD2 body. To upgrade from the standard tailcap to the Tricap is a $1 increase
    Quote Originally Posted by Beard Man View Post
    Thats exactly what I did
    ordered MD2 and then later placed my order for a Tricap,cost me some $$$,
    but now ... I have two caps to choose which one I like more
    I'm not sure if Tricap option was before,may be I miss it...
    Well, I guess if you do not want a bunch of spare MD2 bodies, laying around, then we did ok. I could have used a spare though. I recently moved a bunch of my items to better homes and accidentally sold 1 too many bodies.

Probably the one you sold me!

Quote Originally Posted by WebHobbit View Post
    Probably the one you sold me!
    Haha probably, but that's ok. I still have an md1.5 i can use (unless i decide to sell it too) and i have more than enough other lights. You probably need it more than me, so it's all good

MDC HELP!! Ok so I'm sitting here, in the dark of course, with two neutral Malkoff MDC lights. Single AA and 2AA. When I run the 2aa head on the single AA body, the middle output is almost exactly the same, and the high output is just a little bit lower than the regular MDC AA setup. AA head is 1-2v and the 2aa head is 2-3.2v. Will the runtime with the 2AA head running off of one AA battery be in the same ballpark as the regular mdc AA setup? If so, seems like having just the 2AA head and both bodies is a good way to go.
    Last edited by gurdygurds; 10-12-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    MDC HELP!! Ok so I'm sitting here, in the dark of course, with two neutral Malkoff MDC lights. Single AA and 2AA. When I run the 2aa head on the single AA body, the middle output is almost exactly the same, and the high output is just a little bit lower than the regular MDC AA setup. AA head is 1-2v and the 2aa head is 2-3.2v. Will the runtime with the 2AA head running off of one AA battery be in the same ballpark as the regular mdc AA setup? If so, seems like having just the 2AA head and both bodies is a good way to go.
    I didn't do any runtime tests but i didn't like the way the modes were on the 2xaa head using 1aa. Otherwise I'd agree with you.

In theory, the 2aa should behave exactly as the aa head using a single aa, but it doesn't quite work that way unfortunately.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    I just use my hands and needle nose pliers. I wanted to change out the drop-in on a MD2 head but Gene has it in so tight would need the tool so never bothered in the end. The other just used my hands as set it up originally myself.
    I would add a nitrile glove to your gripping hand.. @WebHobbit - Definitely stay away from wood fixtures and vice, even with soft jaws there's too much chance to distort head threads
    Last edited by knucklegary; 10-13-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks INFRNL. The 2aa copy I have shows a very low moon on low low(you can comfortably look straight at the led which I honestly like) low is around 10 id say, and high is prob around 100. So this is pretty much how other 1aa MDCs I've had run. Just didn't know if the runtimes would be expected to be similar of if the dif voltages of the head would affect it one way or another.
    I didn't do any runtime tests but i didn't like the way the modes were on the 2xaa head using 1aa. Otherwise I'd agree with you.

In theory, the 2aa should behave exactly as the aa head using a single aa, but it doesn't quite work that way unfortunately.

Thanks INFRNL. The 2aa copy I have shows a very low moon on low low(you can comfortably look straight at the led which I honestly like) low is around 10 id say, and high is prob around 100. So this is pretty much how other 1aa MDCs I've had run. Just didn't know if the runtimes would be expected to be similar of if the dif voltages of the head would affect it one way or another.
    Well that's good. I agree that i like a good moonlight mode. From what I remember 2 of the modes were too close together. Although my heads were the 123 heads which would be the same as 2xaa. I had the neutral and 219b versions.

I thought in my case the neutral 2-3v head on single aa made l-m modes similar and tge 219b 2-3v head made m-h modes similar.

I just messed around with these this past week before I made my listing. I was going to keep the 2-3v head cause i thought i could use it on a variety of bodies, but running on single aa did not work for me. So i kept my mdc aa and moved the others to better homes.

Unfortunately, i do not know if the 2xaa head would behave like the single aa head for current draw. It would definitely be nice if it did.

Hopefully someone like WoodsWalker can answer that or possibly a quick call to Gene.
    Although if the modes work for you, I'd run with it and stick to your plan.

Or you can do the runtime tests and share your results

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    I would add a nitrile glove to your gripping hand.. @WebHobbit - Definitely stay away from wood fixtures and vice, even with soft jaws there's too much chance to distort head threads
    I use my hands and Malkoff MD2 Head Wrench,works great.

There is absolutely no chance to distort head thread,everything smooth and precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Beard Man View Post
    I use my hands and Malkoff MD2 Head Wrench,works great.

There is absolutely no chance to distort head thread,everything smooth and precise.
    I think he was referring to webhobbit getting crazy with the vise, channel locks, etc. I agree though bare hands and tool for the win

Several off topic posts were removed ... @knucklegary I can't find what thread you were referring but you are welcome to post your question there (in the proper location)
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    Look what the mailman brought yesterday...

MDC 1xCR123 body, VME head, and M31W drop-in. This thing is a pocket rocket! Haven't had a warm drop-in yet, so this is a first, but it's really nice. Reminds me of the good ol' incandescent days.

Shoutout to NH Lumens -- seeing your setup was the final push! And thanks to Gene for getting back to me so quickly, and the crew at Malkoff for speedy shipping!

That looks great! Do you (or anyone else) have an MDC CR123 with standard MDC head that you could take a picture of them together? Would like to know which is longer and how much wider the VME head is? I'm still considering a single level CR123 MDC. Looks like with the cool versions its 250 lumen with standard head versus 280 with the M31 and VME. The standard MDC head lists 45-60 minutes for run-time. Is the VME M31 longer?

I believe the VME is shorter.
    Last edited by RI Chevy; 10-13-2017 at 08:26 PM.

That looks great! Do you (or anyone else) have an MDC CR123 with standard MDC head that you could take a picture of them together? Would like to know which is longer and how much wider the VME head is? I'm still considering a single level CR123 MDC. Looks like with the cool versions its 250 lumen with standard head versus 280 with the M31 and VME. The standard MDC head lists 45-60 minutes for run-time. Is the VME M31 longer?
    Should have asked me before I sold everything off. I could have showed you all kinds of variations.

I believe length and head diameter are very similar. Nice thing about the m31 is the voltage range is .8-3.x v so many different battery combinations will work. Technically the mdc 123 has the same voltage range but my experience is modes can get weird.

M31 will not have pwm, no modes to roll through (if these are concerns) and woods mentioned mdc's not having reverse polarity protection. Just some other things to consider with the mdc lights.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 10-13-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Started a run time test on the M61NLL using Rayovac primaries. 3 hours in right now.

Also, the tricap is awesome! Will definitely be better for gloved hands and gives the MD2 an overall better feel. Makes the light more aesthetically pleasing as well.

not sure if these help or not. best i can do for you now. 1st pic all the way to the right, you can see they are about the same
    Last edited by INFRNL; 10-13-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Would like to know which is longer and how much wider the VME head is?
    They are virtually the same length, but the VME is larger in diameter.

edit- Infrnl beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by glimmer View Post
    They are virtually the same length, but the VME is larger in diameter.

edit- Infrnl beat me to it!
    haha, i try. if i recall, the vme is not much larger in diameter though, or is it the same dia as the mdx head? I think the design makes it seem smaller than it is. I guess it depends on what would be most beneficial for his use/needs. either choice is a win but i personally can't do single mode. I'd choose md1 with h/l ring and change the resistor, but thats me. or md2 with dummy cell, or md1.5 with AA, list goes on

superb collection

not sure if these help or not. best i can do for you now. 1st pic all the way to the right, you can see they are about the same

A little over 15 hours in and the M61NLL is cranking out I'm guessing 2 maybe 3 lumens. Turned it off for a second and it came back on with no problems.

Spoke to Gene yesterday and he confirmed that the 2aa head doesnít function like Iíd hoped on a single aa. He said runtime and regulation will not be the same as the standard Mdc aa. Heís sending me a replacement neutral aa MDC as the copy is have has a low low that is quite bright and not the .3 that Iíve grown to love on other ones Iíve had. Execellent service as always.

Spoke to Gene yesterday and he confirmed that the 2aa head doesnít function like Iíd hoped on a single aa. He said runtime and regulation will not be the same as the standard Mdc aa. Heís sending me a replacement neutral aa MDC as the copy is have has a low low that is quite bright and not the .3 that Iíve grown to love on other ones Iíve had. Execellent service as always.
    Good know it.

maybe another time I'll ask Gene for a neutral 2AA mdc.

I had him build me one and I ended up letting it go to TrIbull. As I thought might happen I immediately missed it and ordered another. Mode spacing, tint, and everything else about it awesome. A sweet Sweet light. QUOTE=marco.weiss;5141529]Good know it.

maybe another time I'll ask Gene for a neutral 2AA mdc.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    A little over 15 hours in and the M61NLL is cranking out I'm guessing 2 maybe 3 lumens. Turned it off for a second and it came back on with no problems.
    what battery was used? thanks.
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    what battery was used? thanks.
    Several posts up he said he would be using rayovac primaries

I think i had similar results using 16340 keeppowers/ aw rcr123

They like to run forever, definitely a great choice for emergency purposes

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    superb collection
    It got a bit bigger after this picture...now its much smaller

Bummer. I also agree that approx 0.3lm moonlight is about perfect. Although, I only need this mode when I am home.

On a side note: I got my package from Gene today

They did send me 2 spare pins and 4 insulators for my H/L rings Thank you Gene and Cathy!!!

I got 2 Tricaps, lets share some thoughts.

1 has perfect finish on it, while the other has some kind of cosmetic blemish all over it. Similar to some standard tailcaps I have but much worse. It's almost like there was some pitting in the metal before it was coated.(will share a pic here in a bit)

As far as the spring goes, I can see where the complaint is, but this seems like a typical wind and I have other lights that do the same; no matter the brand.
    I'm not going to cry about it, will just fix it myself. Will either bend the end of the spring down or carefully file it.

Mine will leave a good mark on the bottom of the cell, but it's not razor sharp to penetrate the protection circuit plate. I could possibly see this being an issue on a primary or unprotected cell.

Tricap keeps light from rolling and adds minimal bulk for its design (much less bulk than Triad). Ergonomics is improved over standard tailcap, but I don't have any issues with standard either. I think the tricap feels better on longer lights and depending on hold, can still feel a little off, more so on shorter lights.

Overall, I think I really like the tricap, and i think Gene did a great job on the design. Simplistic yet very functional.

I got 2 Tricaps, lets share some thoughts.

1 has perfect finish on it, while the other has some kind of cosmetic blemish all over it. Similar to some standard tailcaps I have but much worse. It's almost like there was some pitting in the metal before it was coated.(will share a pic here in a bit)
    Interesting. I've just ordered my first tricap, on board an M61HOT. I do hope the finish is up to par with the rest of my Malkoff gear.
    Fully potted or bust...

Several posts up he said he would be using rayovac primaries

I think i had similar results using 16340 keeppowers/ aw rcr123

They like to run forever, definitely a great choice for emergency purposes
    Thanks. This thread is hard to keep up haha.

And yeah the LL is my fav, long runtime, bright enough for everyday chores.

Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Page 400 of 403 FirstFirst ... 300350390393394395396397398399400401402403 LastLast