Foxfury Scout        
Page 420 of 424 FirstFirst ... 320370410413414415416417418419420421422423424 LastLast
Results 12,571 to 12,600 of 12714

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Grijon View Post
    I use M61WLLs for walking (including in the woods) and they are perfect for that - and you won't be disappointed with their incan simulation!
    If I like the beam tint as much as I expect to, I'll likely end up with 6v and 3v varieties.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    Malkoff don't produce a High/Low switch, are you talking about the High/Low ring or a switch from a different manufacturer?
    https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...switch-for-md2

Thanks for the clarification!

Default The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

I wonder if anyone can tell me what's the tint look like on the nichia dropin. Does it look similar to the Tool nichia?
    https://www.illumn.com/malkoff-devic...1-219b-v2.html

Would anyone with a warm (3000K) Malkoff drop in be willing to post an outdoor beam shot? I found some older threads, but the images are irretrievably lost at the bottom of the photo bucket.

The tint is great, a little rosy I'd say. BUT...I ended up selling mine as I wasn't a fan of the dark ring\halo towards the outer edge of the beam. A lot of people say in real use it's not an issue and you only see when white wall hunting. I disagree. It was always catching my attention. I have since switched to Gene's neutral tints and I'm much happier.

EDIT: this is in response to Nichia! post
    Last edited by gurdygurds; 11-24-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Just updated my older Surefire G2 to Led with the conversion kit I received today, nice update and couldn't be more pleased.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...re-and-malkoff

I also have a 3D conversion I will do with my big ole maglight tomorrow, just need to cut down the Reflector:

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...to-fit-maglite

Thanks Gene!

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgeman View Post
    Just updated my older Surefire G2 to Led with the conversion kit I received today, nice update and couldn't be more pleased.

I also have a 3D conversion I will do with my big ole maglight tomorrow, just need to cut down the Reflector:

Thanks Gene!
    Congratulations, friend. It's good stuff. Fair warning: the drop ins are a gateway drug.

Let me ask the crowd here. Owners of the MDC AA neutral, do you find that the low low mode is sub lumen .3 to spec or does it seem to be much higher? I'd like to get another of these but on my last copy low low was more like 3 lumens or so, def not a moon mode. Trying to see if other people have noticed the same thing or I just got one that was well off spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Would anyone with a warm (3000K) Malkoff drop in be willing to post an outdoor beam shot? I found some older threads, but the images are irretrievably lost at the bottom of the photo bucket.
    Had hoped that someone with better photo skills might do, but this is an M61LL-HCRI (3000K CRI 90+) ...

Looks just a touch warmer to me in real life, but best I could manage with a mobile phone camera and limited ability
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Had hoped that someone with better photo skills might do, but this is an M61LL-HCRI (3000K CRI 90+) ...

Looks just a touch warmer to me in real life, but best I could manage with a mobile phone camera and limited ability
    I thought all of Gene's warm offerings were 3000k in the 80 CRI range. Unless this is an older dropin?

Great photo, by the way. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Had hoped that someone with better photo skills might do, but this is an M61LL-HCRI (3000K CRI 90+) ..Looks just a touch warmer to me in real life, but best I could manage with a mobile phone camera and limited ability
    Thanks for taking the trouble, Archi. I really appreciate it. The colors are very pleasing, although I will lose a little on color rendition at 80 CRI. Can't wait for my new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgeman View Post

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...re-and-malkoff
    Congrats!

Please be aware that if your G2 has a plastic head that the full-power M61 is limited to 15 minutes at a time

Is that an old dropin? Which led is inside?

You guys have me wanting to try a warm drop in again. Thinking about getting the M61WLL.

Had hoped that someone with better photo skills might do, but this is an M61LL-HCRI (3000K CRI 90+) ....

Quote Originally Posted by UpstandingCitizen View Post
    I thought all of Gene's warm offerings were 3000k in the 80 CRI range. Unless this is an older dropin?

Great photo, by the way. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Yes, this is a rather old (discontinued) dropin.

Thanks for taking the trouble, Archi. I really appreciate it. The colors are very pleasing, although I will lose a little on color rendition at 80 CRI. Can't wait for my new toy!
    You are welcome. The tint and color are even better in reality. I still think you will be pleased, even if the newer ones have slightly lower CRI.

I thought the fallen red maple leaves really "popped" against the green plants and brown bark.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Is that an old dropin? Which led is inside?
    Yes, this is an M61LL-HCRI (3000K CRI 90+) ... which has, I believe, a Q2 bin warm white XP-G

Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    You guys have me wanting to try a warm drop in again. Thinking about getting the M61WLL.
    That would be a very nice choice
    Last edited by archimedes; 11-25-2017 at 10:31 AM.

A&Q Moderator

If you mean the M61/31 Ws my posts should all still be up for photobucket but shutting them down soon as they gave their paying customers till the end of the year. Posted a good number of beam shots outdoors during actual outings. They should be still view able. However will transfer some over to the new service later as won't post from Photobucket any more. Working on a night hiking thread for CPF today but after that will repost a few pics using the new account. Gotta transfer them first.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    Let me ask the crowd here. Owners of the MDC AA neutral, do you find that the low low mode is sub lumen .3 to spec or does it seem to be much higher? I'd like to get another of these but on my last copy low low was more like 3 lumens or so, def not a moon mode. Trying to see if other people have noticed the same thing or I just got one that was well off spec.
    Mine puts out approx 1.7-2lm. before i passed on many of my other lights, I think there was one that would put out closer to .3lm but it was the 3v version on eneloop. I do not recall if it was the neutral or nichia version though. With my time on all my malkoff's, the only light i recall being able to do anywhere near .3lm would be M361N/Nichia using a h/l ring. I will have to test them to see what they are putting out.

EDIT: My M361 219B puts out approx 0.25lm on lowest mode using h/l ring. I will have to look at the M361N later, H/L ring is messed up at the moment but I know its a little brighter than 219b

On a side note: I have started my CR123A test, but I am waiting for more cells to come (Probably get back to the test just before xmas)
    Once, i build the graph, I will post my initial results for anyone curious. It all depends on what the individual is looking for to determine which cell to buy.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention another finding about the Battery Station cells that I forgot about from the past.
    During my test i found 1 cell that was good, 3 other cells that had the same or near same voltage as the good cell but output was dramatically lower.
    Good cell on test light: approx: 200lm/ 3.06v
    3 similar cells at or close to 3.06v: peak at approx 120lm then in a few seconds drop to approx 40lm

I don't care where these battery station cells are made but they are JUNK. If you could get good cells , then performance is good, but i would rather spend the same or less money for a much better quality cell
    Last edited by INFRNL; 11-25-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post

During my test i found 1 cell that was good, 3 other cells that had the same or near same voltage as the good cell but output was dramatically lower.
    Good cell on test light: approx: 200lm/ 3.06v
    3 similar cells at or close to 3.06v: peak at approx 120lm then in a few seconds drop to approx 40lm

I don't care where these battery station cells are made but they are JUNK. If you could get good cells , then performance is good, but i would rather spend the same or less money for a much better quality cell
    This has been a cause for some consternation. I fear the inadvertent mismatching of cells, despite the normal precautions.

not sure if you will be able to see this clearly; it's a work in progress

Are we allowed to ask which device was used in the testing? Also, which battery is represented by yellow? I can see its Keeppower, but I can't make out the numbers following.

I have to admit I am surprised by this. I'd been led to believe that all USA made CR123's were identical except for the wrapper. Hoping the mods don't find this off topic, but I heard that from Elzetta and accepted it uncritically.

Are we allowed to ask which device was used in the testing? Also, which battery is represented by yellow? I can see its Keeppower, but I can't make out the numbers following.

I have to admit I am surprised by this. I'd been led to believe that all USA made CR123's were identical except for the wrapper. Hoping the mods don't find this off topic, but I heard that from Elzetta and accepted it uncritically.
    It looks like Keeppower 16340 I guess.

Are we allowed to ask which device was used in the testing? Also, which battery is represented by yellow? I can see its Keeppower, but I can't make out the numbers following....
    I think that the yellow trace is a Li-Ion 16340, not a primary like the others (accounting for the very different results)

I have to admit I am surprised by this. I'd been led to believe that all USA made CR123's were identical except for the wrapper....
    You can see that is not necessarily the case, both from testing and the accompanying discussion, here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...tery-Shoot-Out

In that thread @SilverFox mentions several different battery (re)sellers "working with the manufacturer" to specifically change and adjust the formulation and/or features to accommodate certain functional and/or cost factor(s)

A&Q Moderator

These should all be M61WL with the last one comparing to a Fenix E01.

Last edited by Woods Walker; 11-26-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Unfortunately i do not have any Malkoff devices that run off 1 cell, so i had to revert to a close cousin and probably a light many of you have. The light is rated at 315L but unfortunately does not put out it's rated output.

The Yellow is a Keeppower 16340 and is there for reference. As some of you know, i am a person that like first hand use/experience to form my own thoughts/opinions. Which is one reason why I am doing this test

As Archi has said, and this goes for anything similar. Just because something is made in the same factory, does not mean it is identical with a different sticker. This has been proven every time that there are differences, whether it be a little or a lot. Just like the rumor that amazon basics are the same as eneloops (I think that was the rumor) well it's not true. They may be similar but are not the same.

SilverFox says Streamlight's are his favorite/preferred choice if I recall. Selfbuilt says something different, I believe. The tests they did were from many moons ago but are probably still applicable in most cases. I want to see how they do for myself and share my finding with anyone that might be curious here.

Sorry the graph is difficult to read (thats a project of it's own) I find it is better to read on a device where you can enlarge/zoom it on the screen; which many people might not have that option
    Last edited by INFRNL; 11-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.

That runtime graph looks like an elzetta alpha
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Unfortunately i do not have any Malkoff devices that run off 1 cell, so i had to revert to a close cousin and probably a light many of you have. The light is rated at 315L but unfortunately does not put out it's rated output.
    It is ok to specify the brand and model here (even if not Malkoff) , if you want to (although not required, of course, if you'd rather not)

.... As some of you know, i am a person that like first hand use/experience to form my own thoughts/opinions. Which is one reason why I am doing this test
    That is what CPF is all about ... real life testing, analysis, sharing, and discussing

As Archi has said, and this goes for anything similar. Just because something is made in the same factory, does not mean it is identical with a different sticker. This has been proven every time that there are differences, whether it be a little or a lot. Just like the rumor that amazon basics are the same as eneloops (I think that was the rumor) well it's not true. They may be similar but are not the same.
    For that matter, sometimes even things with the same sticker may not be identical ...

.... The tests they did were from many moons ago but are probably still applicable in most cases. I want to see how they do for myself and share my finding with anyone that might be curious here.
    As you note, the last set of comprehensive primary battery tests were rather some time ago, so a more current update is certainly welcome.

Your substantial and ongoing efforts on runtime tests and battery testing are much appreciated ...

Sorry the graph is difficult to read (thats a project of it's own) I find it is better to read on a device where you can enlarge/zoom it on the screen; which many people might not have that option
    The graphing legibility has improved, but it is still a little difficult for me to read clearly, even at the max magnification on my phone.

Although I'm sure it might be easier to read from a PC, perhaps someone here with expertise in that area could help you with that ?

Once you get fully organized, I think it would be very reasonable for you to start one or two of your own threads to collect charts of your Malkoff runtime data and/or recent primary battery testing data.

Cheers !

As requested a few pages back, photos of the Raven Concealment pocket clip on my Wildcat v.6/MD3 and a HD 18650. They fit fine and lock in place nicely with the tail cap tightened down. The Wildcat is not at all bad to carry in a front pocket;

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    That runtime graph looks like an elzetta alpha
    Dind Ding Ding, we have a winner! I was hoping the simple clues would give it away. I believe this is currently the best light I have for the test.

It is ok to specify the brand and model here (even if not Malkoff) , if you want to (although not required, of course, if you'd rather not)

That is what CPF is all about ... real life testing, analysis, sharing, and discussing
    Thanks

For that matter, sometimes even things with the same sticker may not be identical ...
    Isn't this the truth. I'm sure we have all experienced this

As you note, the last set of comprehensive primary battery tests were rather some time ago, so a more current update is certainly welcome.
    Your substantial and ongoing efforts on runtime tests and battery testing are much appreciated ...
    Thank you, I am definitely making some progress. I wish I had this meter when i did the tests back towards the beginning of the year. And to further improve my efforts; I'm going to pick up a meter that can Data Log. I will have to adjust it so It shows the same results as my current setup, but this will allow me to run tests and still be able to do normal daily things. My current setup, I have to sit and babysit the test so i do not miss any fluctuations.

As seen on my HD tests, for certain tests, I need to find a way to keep the light cool so we can see what a normal decline would look like.

The graphing legibility has improved, but it is still a little difficult for me to read clearly, even at the max magnification on my phone.

Although I'm sure it might be easier to read from a PC, perhaps someone here with expertise in that area could help you with that ?

Once you get fully organized, I think it would be very reasonable for you to start one or two of your own threads to collect charts of your Malkoff runtime data and/or recent primary battery testing data.

Cheers !
    I have someone in mind that may be able to help me or teach me how to get these legible. The above chart was an excel doc converted to jpeg. even just converting to jpeg drops the image quality dramatically. maybe i need to find a better converter, Either way, I will eventually figure it out. I know it can be done and many have proven that.

As mentioned in the HD thread, i am always open to suggestions/help.
    For the moment i will test a handful of different USA made primaries. I will then slowly work on runtime tests with factual data (nothing like SilverFox or selfbuilt) but similar to what i'm providing now.
    I'm also working on showing temperatures for each mark on the chart that is recorded. On the primaries, I believe (as Jose mentioned I believe) certain temps create impacts on results (as can be seen in the HD runtime test on primaries).

For the time being, I will most likely not do anymore testing until Christmas/New years break. I think I'm going to do all my runtime tests with either Panasonic or Rayovac primaries, since these are the cheapest but yet great quality cells(this will keep data more consistent). Most of my tests will initially be on liion.

There will be no low mode tests because they take way too long to run. Ok, I do not want to bore anyone or drag this out any longer right now. I will be heading back out on the road tomorrow, So I may or may not be available for the next 2-3 wks.

@ Woods Walker and NH Lumens. Thanks for the photos! I'm looking forward to a separate thread for run time/output graphs. Maybe we could stash a few beam shots there as well so they don't get trampled down by all of the traffic on this thread?

This junkie thread is the busiest highway on CPF, as far as I can tell.

Page 420 of 424 FirstFirst ... 320370410413414415416417418419420421422423424 LastLast