Klarus        
Page 434 of 515 FirstFirst ... 334384424427428429430431432433434435436437438439440441444484 ... LastLast
Results 12,991 to 13,020 of 15440

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    I meant tint! Gene just confirmed it's 6200k
    Dude, it's blue. No green, though. Very pleasant, to my eye.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    "The McClicky is a forward tailcap switch originally designed to replace the twisty switch in e series tailcaps. While the e series twisty lights have since been discontinued, the use of these switches has continued due to their quality construction and their ability to take more current. They have low resistance, too. Please note that this is the bare switch itself - there is not rubber boot included, this switch will not fit into most lights without modification. More Information: 11/16"x20 thread Up to6A @ 12V"

http://edcplus.com/mcclicky-switch-p-206.html

11-14-2009, 12:39 AM
    Justin Case

Flashaholic*Join DateMar 2008Posts3,794

Re: Feeler: McClicky upgraded SureFire Z41 Tailcaps

Originally Posted by ElectronGuru
    There's a variety of speculation around, most peaking in the 5-6 amp range.

We have a few set aside for testing and will be juicing them to destruction to find out for sure.

You forced me to do some searching around. This is the result:

http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=4329.0

1) The original switch spec appears to be 9V, 2.5A (see reply #14 by RPM, dated 22 Feb 2007)

2) The updated switch spec appears to be 12V, 4A, 10000 cycles (see the 11 March 2007 update in RPM's opening post)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...anding-Shrouds
    A fair bit of talk goes on here about the McClicky. Here's a few things I know about them from the stack I've bought and used in various lights.
    First off a McClicky is a McClicky there are no variety of differently rated ones (e.g. Oveready), the only diffent ones I've found are an older type without the two holes in the top for tightening down into Mcgizmo bodies.
    The switches are very easy to disassemble and maintain etc (there was a good post with pics in the Mcgizmo forum). I suspect a lot of the broken switches here could be fixed with a reassembly or sured up by super glueing the two plastic halves together to mitigate the need for the addition of orings.
    A McClicky may take 5A or more but in a 6P with a 5A Quad the spring gets screaming hot and would quite likely have a shortened life. On all my hot P60s I bypass the spring by soldering a short piece of wire through the spring from the top to the base metal tab where the spring foot sits. No more hot spring and the guts can take it as the contacts are a solid little metal disk that touches a solid tab. I wouldn't know if it could handle FET currents, there's better choices for that, I don't go for those kind of drivers but with the spring bypass with my 4.5A triple and 5A quad (single Liion cell) it works great.
    Anything under 3A the spring bypass isn't really an issue.
    I probably haven't written anything here you guys didn't know but I thought I'd add my experience.
    The McClicky is a great switch, easily dis/assembled, serviced and modified.
    Last edited by F89; 01-09-2018 at 09:26 PM.

@marco.weiss & F89 - thanks a lot for the valuable information!

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    @marco.weiss & F89 - thanks a lot for the valuable information!
    No worries.
    Looking back on this thread Peter seems to have nailed it on the info, I appear to have echoed much of what he's already written of sorts.

I asked a few pages back for a size comparison shot between an MDC AA with VME head and an MD1.5 with standard MD2 head and tailcap. I realize it was a long shot and got zero response. BUT....if anyone out there has both or has at least handled both I’d love to hear your opinion. A burly, knurled, mini Malkoff running single AA is intriguing to me. Having never handled an MD 1.5 or MD2 it’s hard to gauge just how much bigger that setup would be vs my AA MDC with VME.

A&Q Moderator

I don't have one but if the intent was just to run 1XAA the MDC AA and VME head seems better. I wanted more omnivore options so stuck with MD.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    No worries.
    Looking back on this thread Peter seems to have nailed it on the info, I appear to have echoed much of what he's already written of sorts.

But you explained it so much better.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    I asked a few pages back for a size comparison shot between an MDC AA with VME head and an MD1.5 with standard MD2 head and tailcap. I realize it was a long shot and got zero response. BUT....if anyone out there has both or has at least handled both I’d love to hear your opinion. A burly, knurled, mini Malkoff running single AA is intriguing to me. Having never handled an MD 1.5 or MD2 it’s hard to gauge just how much bigger that setup would be vs my AA MDC with VME.
    on these three topics you will find images of host md1 and md1.5 to help you in the comparisons.

the photos from the user's infrnl collection show all malkoff host models. you will see queued flashlights with hosts md4, md3, md2, md1.5, md1, mdc cr123, mdc 16650, mdc aa.

is the best comparative I have found.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...MD1-quot/page5

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Part-2/page400

http://candlepowerforumswww.candlepo...Part-2/page374

Last edited by marco.weiss; 01-10-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Marco you are The Man! Appreciate you linking those pics and your efforts in helping to discern the size differences. I didn’t realize the MD2 heads were so much bigger than MDC and VME. Decisions decisions.

Marco- that labelled comparison photo is terrific!

Marco you are The Man! Appreciate you linking those pics and your efforts in helping to discern the size differences. I didn’t realize the MD2 heads were so much bigger than MDC and VME. Decisions decisions.

I thought I posted your specific request back when i posted many of those pics. Thank Marco for finding those.

I'll look to see if I still have them, But I believe I posted closer view pics of exactly what you are asking because another member at one point wanted to know the same thing.

MDC/VME is definitely more pocket friendly and if overall size is the main concern, go VME/MDC. Having all the options is also another nice route to go.

As for other topics, I am officially back, temporarily.

I finally have all My 2x primary results figured out but need to get a graph made. Will try to do this later tonight.

I Also have HD 18650 2x rayovac LOW mode results which will be posted in the HD thread. Charging up a set of 18650 3500mah sanyo/panny cells to run the HD 18650 low mode test. I will then eventually go back through the remaining lights I still have and do various tests using both primaries and li-ion rechargeable cells. I will get with Archi to figure out the best way for me to be able to post all my results and keep them in 1 place, so we do not have to struggle trying to find them in the future. Most likely it will be some kind of thread/link; hopefully where I can keep all info together and not allow it to get all mixed up with many posts. I'm just not sure what my options are.

I may also at some point buy new lights/modules to replace the ones sold, just for testing purposes, but we will just start with what I currently have. This will take some time to accomplish anyway.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by glimmer View Post
    Marco- that labelled comparison photo is terrific!
    +1, thanks Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    .... I will get with Archi to figure out the best way for me to be able to post all my results and keep them in 1 place, so we do not have to struggle trying to find them in the future. Most likely it will be some kind of thread/link; hopefully where I can keep all info together and not allow it to get all mixed up with many posts. I'm just not sure what my options are....
    Just PM me when you are ready to organize this, thanks
    ... is the archimedes peak

@marco - thanks for the size reference, I believe that is only your partial rig, as I don't see a Wildcat V5?

@marco - thanks for the size reference, I believe that is only your partial rig, as I don't see a Wildcat V5?
    I do believe he's referencing INFRNL's collection photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I do believe he's referencing INFRNL's collection photo.
    ...oopps sorry, and thanks for the info. These humongous collections are confusingly beautiful to Malkoff Junkies.

...oopps sorry, and thanks for the info. These humongous collections are confusingly beautiful to Malkoff Junkies.
    My wife thinks I'm crazy for having nine. Someday I hope to catch up to INFRNL, but I think Marco is the reigning Heavyweight Malkoff Champion.

My wife thinks I'm crazy for having nine. Someday I hope to catch up to INFRNL, but I think Marco is the reigning Heavyweight Malkoff Champion.
    If Marco is the heavyweight champ, INFRNL is the light heavyweight??

Where does this leave us? Bantamweight? haha.

Here are the 2x primary results; so you can draw your own conclusions/opinions. similar performance for the most part besides the chinese cells. I personally would still opt for the cheaper/cheapest USA cells but that's just my opinion. This would save quite a bit of money in the long run. any advantage from the more expensive cells are not worth the premium and really are negligible.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 01-12-2018 at 12:04 AM.

If Marco is the heavyweight champ, INFRNL is the light heavyweight??

Where does this leave us? Bantamweight? haha.

HAHAHA. Marco and I at one time had very similar families. He then decided to keep bulking up and i decided to work on definition. I would say I'm just welter weight now and that may be the wrong category that I'm thinking of. It was definitely very fun to have every Neutral option that was available to me at the time, but in reality I only need so many. My journey was to figure out what I liked and to help out here with what I could on my opinions of the different light options. Every eye has its own vision and I wanted to see what my eye would see rather than relying on ones opinions/thoughts.

I also think there are some members here that do not freely share their entire collection with us. There are others here that have many Malkoff lights and/or parts, modules.

I also think there are some members here that do not freely share their entire collection with us. There are others here that have many Malkoff lights and/or parts, modules.
    +1

Malkoff is a brand that I love for many reasons.
    I feel a great deal of security in buying products from them.
    I have empathy for the way they treat people, how they lead the company ...

a bit of all the explanation for this passion I described in this article that I have already shared here once (https://medium.com/@marco.aow/malkof...e-956d948f10af).

Please remember that I am from Brazil, I speak Portuguese ...
    the article has been translated with google translator, so please do not judge me! haha

sometimes I even need to go back to this article to recall why I focused a good part of my collection of flashlights on modular models, most of them being brand malkoff.

as well as the friend INFRNL I also like to have my own opinions.

I talked a lot with him and with Modernflame about elzetta, and at the end of the year I bought one ... I did not tell them yet.

Oops, I'm talking now!

I know we're on a malkoff topic, but I loved the elzetta bravo avs (bored by the oveready.

INFRNL & Modernflame : my great thanks are registered here for the patience, helpfulness and contribution to me and the whole group.
    Last edited by marco.weiss; 01-12-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    A fair bit of talk goes on here about the McClicky. Here's a few things I know about them from the stack I've bought and used in various lights.
    First off a McClicky is a McClicky there are no variety of differently rated ones (e.g. Oveready), the only diffent ones I've found are an older type without the two holes in the top for tightening down into Mcgizmo bodies.
    The switches are very easy to disassemble and maintain etc (there was a good post with pics in the Mcgizmo forum). I suspect a lot of the broken switches here could be fixed with a reassembly or sured up by super glueing the two plastic halves together to mitigate the need for the addition of orings.
    A McClicky may take 5A or more but in a 6P with a 5A Quad the spring gets screaming hot and would quite likely have a shortened life. On all my hot P60s I bypass the spring by soldering a short piece of wire through the spring from the top to the base metal tab where the spring foot sits. No more hot spring and the guts can take it as the contacts are a solid little metal disk that touches a solid tab. I wouldn't know if it could handle FET currents, there's better choices for that, I don't go for those kind of drivers but with the spring bypass with my 4.5A triple and 5A quad (single Liion cell) it works great.
    Anything under 3A the spring bypass isn't really an issue.
    I probably haven't written anything here you guys didn't know but I thought I'd add my experience.
    The McClicky is a great switch, easily dis/assembled, serviced and modified.
    Can you post a pic of solid little metal disc (copper?) with gage of wire used to bypass spring?

@ ModernFlame: I was browsing the Malkoff site last night, It appears/stated that some of the MDC's are reverse polarity protected and some are not. I do not know if Gene has made changes, wrong info was copy and pasted during the new site look, IDK Something to inquire about though if you had interest.

@ Marco, Very nice article you put together. Great job in the work that you do!

Also I do not recall which meter you said you are using but I believe you made a good choice from what I remember. I started looking into a DIY integrating sphere and it appears many use the Dr. Meter LX1330B I believe. Now if you could find the data logging version if they have one, you would be set.

Flashaholic*

Today I attached GEAR GRIPZ on my MDC HA 1CR123 body with Valiant head and M31NLL. The result is PERFECT in my opinion; now the grip is excellent. Apart from that I think it looks pretty good too. The strip on the head I think will also serve to avoid loosening of the bezel, which easy happend when I would unscrew the head for battery replacement.

Last edited by Swedpat; 01-12-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Today I attached GEAR GRIPZ on my MDC HA 1CR123 body with Valiant head and M31NLL. The result is PERFECT in my opinion...
    Very cool! That looks a lot like 3M Safety Walk tape. Might even be the same stuff. I've used the 3M product many times to build fishing rods. A lot of professional builders use it too. GLoomis for example has used it for rod grips. If you spiral wrap it tight, you can't even see the seams- looks like it was painted on. Here's a shot of a rod I built using it. (not the best picture)

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post

INFRNL & Modernflame : my great thanks are registered here for the patience, helpfulness and contribution to me and the whole group.
    Cheers, my friend! It's been fun.

@ ModernFlame: I was browsing the Malkoff site last night, It appears/stated that some of the MDC's are reverse polarity protected and some are not. I do not know if Gene has made changes, wrong info was copy and pasted during the new site look, IDK Something to inquire about though if you had interest.
    I would like to understand this better, as I adore the 1xAA MDC light, as well as others in the MDC line.

I confirmed with Gene Malkoff that the 1xAA MDC is the only device that is not reverse polarity protected. He explained that the reverse polarity protection uses a blocking diode that has 400mv Vf, which costs 0.4 volts. This is too much loss for the 1xAA format. He also graciously gave me permission to share this info with the group. All of the other MDC models are reverse polarity protected.

Thanks for sharing, Modernflame. The lack of polarity protection on the 1AA model has never really bothered me. My 1AA Nichia is one of my most used lights around the house.

Page 434 of 515 FirstFirst ... 334384424427428429430431432433434435436437438439440441444484 ... LastLast