Angryfox        
Page 461 of 497 FirstFirst ... 361411451454455456457458459460461462463464465466467468471 ... LastLast
Results 13,801 to 13,830 of 14885

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    Personally I think Malkoffs neutral trumps the nichia. I like the tint better and the nichias have a very noticeable ring towards the outer edge of the beam that bugged me. Actually I like the neutral better than the warm I’ve decided, so the warm MDC is going to Infrnl in exchange for my old MDC 2Aa neutral I sold not too long ago.
    Thanks for the input. I also like the neutral better than warm, but warm has its place in the rotation.

I suppose I'm interested in the 219 because they have a legendary status, but I've never found anything lacking in my 4000K crees. The XPG2 is particularly nice.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    .... several people have told me that they prefer the beam tint of the neutral (4000K) Cree emitters over the Nichias, despite the latter having superior color rendition ....
    That would be me

The N219 (an M61L219) I have never impressed me ... nothing wrong with it, but just my least favorite of dozens of Malkoff dropins
    Last edited by archimedes; 03-12-2018 at 07:09 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    On High, sure, but it has a low and medium modes that will, presumably, last longer. I guess it depends on what output you require the most.

--flatline
    This is true. Now, I'm going to have to test this head on a 14500 and see how it does. I will test high and medium, but not low.

It's been a long time since the nichia drop ins sold out. Since then, several people have told me that they prefer the beam tint of the neutral (4000K) Cree emitters over the Nichias, despite the latter having superior color rendition.

What do you guys think? I'm very interested in your opinions.

Thanks.
    I have mixed feeling about this but I still prefer Nichia for the most part. Some of the cree's are too much on the yellow side for me. Although i have some good cree's that are very good; which is nice because i can have a variety of tints for different occasions. Nichia's are more consistent in tint compared to cree. Then we all know cree is more efficient, but that is not a big deal for my use.

Personally I think Malkoffs neutral trumps the nichia. I like the tint better and the nichias have a very noticeable ring towards the outer edge of the beam that bugged me. Actually I like the neutral better than the warm I’ve decided, so the warm MDC is going to Infrnl in exchange for my old MDC 2Aa neutral I sold not too long ago.
    I can't wait to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    That would be me

The N219 (an M61L219) I have never impressed me ... nothing wrong with it, but just my least favorite of dozens of Malkoff dropins
    well, since the Nichia's are your Least favorite....it sound like they might need a better/new home

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    well, since the Nichia's are your Least favorite....it sound like they might need a better/new home
    Haha, nice try ... but I gotta keep at least one in the museum
    ... is the archimedes peak

Some of the cree's are too much on the yellow side for me...
    I don't mind the yellow bias. When you've been using the Nichias for a while, do you find the 80 CRI of the neutral Crees to be disappointing? Or do you notice at all?

If this head is the one i have, it will kill a 14500 in no time, its best used with a 16650
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would this be? Seems the output from these heads is very low compared to many others out there. What else is causing the inefficiencies?

The two Malkoff dropins I like most are the m61n model and the m61 219b v2 model.

The Nichia led renders the colors very well and the softness of the pink / cream tonality pleases me a lot.

However the neutral led has more power, also renders well the colors and reminds a little the wonderful incandescent.

M61 219b v2

M61n

Note: the photos are not mine, I have a collection of beamshots that I have been collecting over time ...otherwise I'm wrong, the beamshots are from Grizmann.
    Last edited by marco.weiss; 03-14-2018 at 04:23 AM.

Illumn needs to stock up on Nichia drop-ins. I'm going crazy with all of this waiting.

I also need to decide if I want the M31 or the M31L...or the M31LL.

Quote Originally Posted by UpstandingCitizen View Post
    Illumn needs to stock up on Nichia drop-ins. I'm going crazy with all of this waiting.

I also need to decide if I want the M31 or the M31L...or the M31LL.
    one of each please. lol

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRZ View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would this be? Seems the output from these heads is very low compared to many others out there. What else is causing the inefficiencies?
    I believe i tested current draw on this head and it's quite high on the high mode; over 1a draw. The AW IMR 14500 I have is only 600mah. A keeppower 14500 is 800mah; so you can see you will get less than 1hr of runtime on high mode. I will have to check the 16650 head but i imagine it will be similar.

I only got just over 40mins runtime with AW imr 14500, keeppower might get you an additional 5mins. I have the data, just got to find the motivation to make up the graphs so you can see. how they behave.
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    one of each please. lol
    exactly

Nice pics by the way. Nichia is the clear winner in those pics.

I don't mind the yellow bias. When you've been using the Nichias for a while, do you find the 80 CRI of the neutral Crees to be disappointing? Or do you notice at all?
    I would say only if i am comparing them. or if I have been using a nichia one night, then decide to use a cree; my eyes will still be adapted to the nichia. It's more noticeable when comparing to a cool cree but not so bad on neutral. I just like the fact that the nichia color rendition is more accurate.

However some of the crees, i really enjoy, like the HD 18650 or the mdc 16650. Overall if i did not have any nichia's, i would be perfectly fine with the cree's. The nichia's do not make the cree's look horrible or disappointing; I have just come to really love the nichia's. However there is not perfect light/emitter either, it also depends on time of day and environment. Certain times of day require different colored tints for certain tasks.

I like everything to look as natural as possible all the time...this includes women (don't like a lot of makeup, fake body parts, constructive surgery, etc). But like Woods, he mainly needs efficiency and just needs the proper amount of light for his night runs, he doesn't care if things are accurate or not(just the ability to see to ensure safety). Everyone has their own thought/opinions and needs.

Do you have any nichia lights yet? It seems that from what i remember accuracy is not big on your list either as you have neutral and cool light variants IIRC. My biggest dislike...makes me sick; is blue in the tint. If i only use cool white lights, most of them I can tolerate usually, but since i prefer neutral; there can be times where the cool tints drive me nuts. It can also be hard because every ambient light is on the neutral/warm side; which in turn effects what my eye get from the cool tints.

Ok, I'm just rambling now. Hope i actually said something pertaining to your questions...hahaha

The MDC 1AA Nichia and the M61LLL Nichia have earned their place in my collection. The Nichia seems to have a more floody beam which makes it a bit easier on the eyes, so I like them for my low lumen lights. I had all of the other M61 Nichia drop ins, but found I prefered the neutral XP-G2 for any tasks where I felt I needed more than 100ish lumens.

On a slightly unrelated note, I find myself enjoying the cool white of my E2 head. I was doing the brake's on my car in the middle of the day, the other day, and the cool 325 lumens was perfect for a basic inspection. It almost seemed that a cool white was more useful than a neutral when being used in the middle of the day. Maybe, I'm crazy, but that was my observation. Makes me want to try out an M61L.

Late to the the party but I sure would love a AAx1MDC Neutral and and AA x2 MDC Neutral. A neutral SHO would be pretty awesome too.
    WANTED: Malkoff MD3/MD4 Bodies, Tail Switches, Head Assemblies, Hi/Lo Rings--Any condition. Contact Me If You Have these Items: PM or Johnmpruner@gmail.com. Thanks, JP

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by redvalkyrie View Post
    Late to the the party but I sure would love a AAx1MDC Neutral and and AA x2 MDC Neutral. A neutral SHO would be pretty awesome too.
    MDC 1xAA is available in neutral from Malkoff's site right now.

--flatline

Ok, here we are, MDC li-ion LMH head on IMR 14500 600mah:

EDIT: High mode ending voltage was around 2.75v
    Med ending voltage was not checked, It probably would have ran for 5-10 more mins and end up around same end voltage

Last edited by INFRNL; 03-14-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redvalkyrie View Post
    Hey stranger, been a little while IIRC.

too bad they do not have the Neutral MDC SHO.

The Neutral MDC's AA/2xAA are nice. depending on how you like your low mode; for some reason it worked today. I took the 2xaa head 2.3.2v and ran it on 1aa. results were the same as MDC aa with the exception of low mode. Low mode on 2-3.2v head puts out 0.3ish lm where as the aa head puts out around 2lm. using the 2-3.2v head on aa is nice for those of use that like a real moonlight mode. Originally I only got this to work on the cool version but for some reason it worked on the neutral and kept good spacing on m/h modes.

Bizarre. I tried the same thing and the head would start to flickr on low and high. The low low output was a true moon mode though which I dug. It's such a bummer that the neutral MDC AA doesn't run to spec on low low. If it did it would be my go to all around light.
    Hey stranger, been a little while IIRC.

too bad they do not have the Neutral MDC SHO.

The Neutral MDC's AA/2xAA are nice. depending on how you like your low mode; for some reason it worked today. I took the 2xaa head 2.3.2v and ran it on 1aa. results were the same as MDC aa with the exception of low mode. Low mode on 2-3.2v head puts out 0.3ish lm where as the aa head puts out around 2lm. using the 2-3.2v head on aa is nice for those of use that like a real moonlight mode. Originally I only got this to work on the cool version but for some reason it worked on the neutral and kept good spacing on m/h modes.
    Last edited by gurdygurds; 03-14-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Bizarre. I tried the same thing and the head would start to flickr on low and high. The low low output was a true moon mode though which I dug. It's such a bummer that the neutral MDC AA doesn't run to spec on low low. If it did it would be my go to all around light.
    I will play around more but i did not notice any flickering.

I'm ordering another 2-3.2v head to keep on aa body and keep this one on primaries. I will report if there is any flickering on either. These are the new versions with silver plating in the heads, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Although I think I tried this on an older head last time I owned one and didn't notice any flickering either, however i do not rememeber it working properly on aa though. m and high modes didn't seem to have much difference to the eyes. Today it worked fine.

I will try to use the light under normal use and see if i notice anything odd

If you have a aa body, you should try again and see if your light still flickers. This should be the light I just sent back to you , correct? I can't recall if I tried a single aa on it
    Last edited by INFRNL; 03-14-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Yes for a while I had two single AA neutral heads and this 2AA that I just got back from you. They would run solid at first and then after a while start to flickr. It would be FAR too perfect if the 2aa head could swap between bodies. That would make it a triple threat on 123, aa, and 2aa.
    I will play around more but i did not notice any flickering.

I'm ordering another 2-3.2v head to keep on aa body and keep this one on primaries. I will report if there is any flickering on either. These are the new versions with silver plating in the heads, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Although I think I tried this on an older head last time I owned one and didn't notice any flickering either, however i do not rememeber it working properly on aa though. m and high modes didn't seem to have much difference to the eyes. Today it worked fine.

I will try to use the light under normal use and see if i notice anything odd

If you have a aa body, you should try again and see if your light still flickers. This should be the light I just sent back to you , correct? I can't recall if I tried a single aa on it

Yes for a while I had two single AA neutral heads and this 2AA that I just got back from you. They would run solid at first and then after a while start to flickr. It would be FAR too perfect if the 2aa head could swap between bodies. That would make it a triple threat on 123, aa, and 2aa.
    Ok, I will try to use the 2-3.2v head to see if it starts acting up. You are correct, if it will continue to work without issue, it will be a great head to use on the 3 different bodies; However I'm not big on switching bodies, so if it works, i will end up with one of ea if they hold up.

Ok, so I guess I will do a run of various MDC graphs for the moment.

Here are results for the 2-3.2v head. I will have to test the 1-2v aa head and add it in to compare to the 2-3.2v head.
    the primary ran for an additional 1.25hrs in moonlight mode which is not shown on the graph. Sometimes my meter does not like to read accurately when we get into moonlight modes.

infrnl, very cool this graphic. I realized that the malkoff site values ​​look very much like your measurements.

Do you want to test the middle mode as well? (please)

Can you provide more info/details on this? When you tried this, was the light still new or had quite a bit of use, etc? I was just thinking to myself and came across the thought that maybe everything needs to be cleaned up real good. if there is any question in the contact; possibly this is the reason for the flickering?

I'm currently letting mine run on L (middle) mode, I have not seen anything yet and I did not notice anything during my aa test on this head on high mode. This is a brand new light that was waiting for me when I got home the other day. So my current thinking is that possibly yours needs to be cleaned up real good with alcohol and/or metal cleaner (never dull).

Alright you've got me second guessing myself. Just rolled up a hunk of tin foil to make a space AA and messing with this 2aa running on single aa right now. Charging and eneloop pro as we speak and I will clean the threads real well.
    Can you provide more info/details on this? When you tried this, was the light still new or had quite a bit of use, etc? I was just thinking to myself and came across the thought that maybe everything needs to be cleaned up real good. if there is any question in the contact; possibly this is the reason for the flickering?

I'm currently letting mine run on L (middle) mode, I have not seen anything yet and I did not notice anything during my aa test on this head on high mode. This is a brand new light that was waiting for me when I got home the other day. So my current thinking is that possibly yours needs to be cleaned up real good with alcohol and/or metal cleaner (never dull).

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    infrnl, very cool this graphic. I realized that the malkoff site values ​​look very much like your measurements.

Do you want to test the middle mode as well? (please)
    Middle mode on which head and what battery? If you are talking about the 2-3.2v head, thats only 15lm output, you sure you want to punish me on that mode? Once i finish my current test MDC N aa high mode, I will try 1 middle mode test on the 2-3.2v head on aa. I currently do not have 2xaa body and not sure if we want to waste a primary on this test.

Alright you've got me second guessing myself. Just rolled up a hunk of tin foil to make a space AA and messing with this 2aa running on single aa right now. Charging and eneloop pro as we speak and I will clean the threads real well.
    just trying to help and that thought crossed my mind which at the moment makes some kind of sense. I'm hoping that it does resolve your flickering issue. Would make you a very happy camper

Getting definite and very visible flickering\fluttering. I'd say it's the tin foil but this is exactly what happened when I tried it on the MDC AA body as well. You still don't see anything eh? You can tap the light or smack the body into your hand and zero flicker??

Flashaholic*

I just received my order of parts from Malkoff. The highlights of the order are the tricap, a VME head, and a M61WLL.

The tricap is so much nicer than the stock tailcap. It feels better in hand and the switch is much easier to access now. And now my stock tailcap can move to the 6P when I get tired of the twisty (I promised myself to use the twisty at least until the bulb burnt out to see if it grows on me, but I don't care for it so far).

I got the M61WLL to put in the 6P when the bulb finally burns out, but until that happens, I've thrown it in the VME head and put it on my Lumens Factory e-series body. I am super pleased with the result. We'll see if I have the heart to take it apart when the 6P's bulb burns out.

--flatline

I like everything to look as natural as possible all the time...this includes women (don't like a lot of makeup, fake body parts, constructive surgery, etc).

Do you have any nichia lights yet? It seems that from what i remember accuracy is not big on your list either as you have neutral and cool light variants IIRC.
    Thanks for your feedback. No nichias yet, but I enjoy a variety of beam types. Please be careful shining your high CRI flashlight on women in the dark. I imagine that could land you in trouble...

Getting definite and very visible flickering\fluttering. I'd say it's the tin foil but this is exactly what happened when I tried it on the MDC AA body as well. You still don't see anything eh? You can tap the light or smack the body into your hand and zero flicker??
    If I've followed the thread correctly, you mean it's flickering on a 1 AA tube? My 3v MDC head will flicker on any mode when the voltage drops too low. It was designed to operate on 2-3 volts. This is the price we pay for reverse polarity protection. The 1AA version is able to operate on a lower voltage because it lacks the diode that protects the driver against reversed poles.

THAT is what Gene said about why the 2-3 volts head wouldn't run correctly on a single AA lol. Thanks Modernflame. And yes Infrnl and I were messing with them on a single AA but he was saying that he wasn't getting any flickering.
    Thanks for your feedback. No nichias yet, but I enjoy a variety of beam types. Please be careful shining your high CRI flashlight on women in the dark. I imagine that could land you in trouble...

If I've followed the thread correctly, you mean it's flickering on a 1 AA tube? My 3v MDC head will flicker on any mode when the voltage drops too low. It was designed to operate on 2-3 volts. This is the price we pay for reverse polarity protection. The 1AA version is able to operate on a lower voltage because it lacks the diode that protects the driver against reversed poles.

Page 461 of 497 FirstFirst ... 361411451454455456457458459460461462463464465466467468471 ... LastLast