Angryfox        
Page 416 of 426 FirstFirst ... 316366406409410411412413414415416417418419420421422423 ... LastLast
Results 12,451 to 12,480 of 12779

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

  1. #12451
    Flashaholic marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    I reinforce the words of our friend INFRNL.

    The dropin m361lmh is very interesting for daytime tasks.

    The low and medium modes are perfect and the high mode delivers enough power when needed.

    I use the m361 dropins with the vme head on host mdc 16650.

    I did not particularly feel the need to put them in an md2 host with a high / low ring since the dropin already has multimode functionality.

    I preferred an even more portable flashlight ... but each one has its own references.

    I am a fan of malkoff products, so I am suspect to speak, but I especially recommend the neutral model and the nichia model.

    As soon as the nichia dropins return to stock in the illumn then I preach to acquire a few more of the mich1 nichia model I would like to have two ... haha

  2. #12452
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by the badger View Post
    INFRNL - thanks a lot for the info. I’ve decided what to go with thanks to you! M61NLL, M61NL, M61N. I have several 18650 bored 6P hosts that I’ve had for years that are collecting dust and figured I’d put them to use. Hopefully these work. The single mode keeps things simple, and with the high runtimes on the L and LL, I won’t need to worry about batteries.
    I love this. It's like a set of wrenches of different sizes, laid neatly along side each other in a tool box.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  3. #12453
    Flashaholic marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    I love this. It's like a set of wrenches of different sizes, laid neatly along side each other in a tool box.

    +1

  4. #12454
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    ^ Ha yea! The problem with options is I never know what to go with. So I usually get them all

    I thought of going the MDX with MD2 route but then my nice bored 6P hosts will just sit here. And a while back when I bought them I got all the parts to make them nicer (UCL lens, battery bumper O-ring and titanium bezels from Oveready, McClicky, etc etc). So they’re good to go.

    Gene just replied via email with some expected (approximate) runtime values for the M61N, M61NL and M61NLL, when using a 3400mAh protected 18650 and a 3000mAh unprotected. Impressive to say the least.

    3400mah:
    M61N: 3hrs plus taper
    M61NL: 9hrs plus taper
    M61NLL: 25hrs plus taper

    3000mah:
    M61N: 2.5hrs plus taper
    M61NL: 7.5hrs plus taper
    M61NLL: 22hrs plus taper

  5. #12455
    Flashaholic dhunley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post

    I use the m361 dropins with the vme head on host mdc 16650.
    Any reason you went with the M361 in a VME instead of getting the MDC HA LMH Li-ion head?

  6. #12456

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    Any reason you went with the M361 in a VME instead of getting the MDC HA LMH Li-ion head?
    That's a good point. I definitely like the tint of the mdc ha better. I guess with vme he can swap modules could be the reasoning, idk

  7. #12457
    Flashaholic dhunley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    That's a good point. I definitely like the tint of the mdc ha better. I guess with vme he can swap modules could be the reasoning, idk
    I was under the impression that the MDC HA LMH li ion head was basically the same as the M361. Same LED, output, etc...

    EDIT: This is the head I was referring to.

    https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...hargeable-head

  8. #12458

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    I was under the impression that the MDC HA LMH li ion head was basically the same as the M361. Same LED, output, etc...

    EDIT: This is the head I was referring to.

    https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...hargeable-head
    Yes, this is what I figured you were talking about.

    I have the neutral version of this head and the m361N. Power output might be similar but tint is nowhere near the same (at least for the neutral version)

    M361N has the typical yellowish tint where the mdc ha l-m-h is very white in comparison.

    I would also have to recheck but i think the m61N/m361N also has a slightly wider spill beam. I haven't been doing any comparisons for a while so my memory is not up to speed/date

    EDIT: i know marco mentioned m361 but I'm pretty sure he uses the neutral variant but i could be wrong. When it comes to cw, i have no idea if there are differences
    Last edited by INFRNL; 11-14-2017 at 01:49 PM.

  9. #12459
    Flashaholic dhunley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Yes, this is what I figured you were talking about.

    I have the neutral version of this head and the m361N. Power output might be similar but tint is nowhere near the same (at least for the neutral version)

    M361N has the typical yellowish tint where the mdc ha l-m-h is very white in comparison.

    I would also have to recheck but i think the m61N/m361N also has a slightly wider spill beam. I haven't been doing any comparisons for a while so my memory is not up to speed/date

    EDIT: i know marco mentioned m361 but I'm pretty sure he uses the neutral variant but i could be wrong. When it comes to cw, i have no idea if there are differences
    Interesting. I know there is the tint lottery, but I figured they would be pretty similar. I thought maybe you were thinking of the MDC 16650 with the XP-L. That one definitely has a really nice tint.

  10. #12460

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    Interesting. I know there is the tint lottery, but I figured they would be pretty similar. I thought maybe you were thinking of the MDC 16650 with the XP-L. That one definitely has a really nice tint.
    Yes i have the neutral mdc 16650 too and is one of my favorites as well. The mdc ha neutral l-m-h is also similar to the 16650 but still a bit whiter. My neutral 16650 is not yellow at all and is kind of similar to a nichia 219b. I love them both.

  11. #12461
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    8,378

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by the badger View Post
    Does anybody here use the M361N-LMH? If you had to choose that or the M61N which would it be?
    Although I don't use this particular dropin too often (as I prefer the single mode alternatives) , will say that the tint on my particular M361N-LMH is one of the nicest of all of my Malkoffs ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

  12. #12462
    Flashaholic marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    I chose to use the vme head and the dropin m361 to get to know this modular set. modularity fascinates me.


    I bought all the versions of the dropin m361. I have the cool model, the neutral model and nichia. all are in mdc 16650 hosts with vme head.


    I like the 16650 host because it is more compact than the md2 host. as the dropins m361 have several modes so I did not find it necessary to place them in md2 hosts with high / low ring.


    I use the md2 host with several m61 dropins.


    my favorite dropins are nichia models, but the 16650 mdc neutral flashlight is very good. the color is similar to nichia leds, as our friend INFRNL said.


    second in my preference are the neutral dropins (m61N, etc)

  13. #12463
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Malkoff site lists two mdc 16650 4000k & 5700k XP-L - Both lites are listed as neutral tints. Which are you comparing with nichia 219B, or C ?

    Edit: My preference leans towards cooler tints as 4000k in my eye is little yellow. I've been considering the 5700k for indoor, or in garage/shop use

    Thanks!
    Last edited by knucklegary; 11-14-2017 at 05:51 PM.

  14. #12464
    Flashaholic marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Did you see this malkoff Facebook post? I never received a dropin with a pamphlet describing the product. my dropins always came only in the plastic box. I do not need the pamphlet, but I think it's interesting. And this photo ... beautiful set.


  15. #12465
    Flashaholic marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Malkoff site lists two mdc 16650 4000k & 5700k XP-L - Both lites are listed as neutral tints. Which are you comparing with nichia 219B, or C ?

    Edit: My preference leans towards cooler tints as 4000k in my eye is little yellow. I've been considering the 5700k for indoor, or in garage/shop use

    Thanks!

    malkoff only offers dropins with nichia led type b. the current version is 219b v2.


    the mdc 16650 neutral model is what most resembles an nichia led, but I still prefer a real nichia led ...


    I really like the dropins and malkoff lanterns with white light. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

  16. #12466

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    That was the *first* thing I noticed... none of my modules ever had that insert, though the design was meant to hold a bit of paper... But well, that is just nitpicking and hardly matters for such an awesome module! :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    Did you see this malkoff Facebook post? I never received a dropin with a pamphlet describing the product. my dropins always came only in the plastic box. I do not need the pamphlet, but I think it's interesting. And this photo ... beautiful set.

    my lights.

  17. #12467
    Flashaholic marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    hardly matters for such an awesome module! :-)
    +1

    but I was intrigued ... that I can not deny.

  18. #12468
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    How do you know when you're a Malkoff Junkie? When you can say, "No, I didn't see that Facebook Post. I never log into Facebook except to post Malkoff product reviews on the website in exchange for a 15% off coupon."
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  19. #12469
    Flashaholic marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    How do you know when you're a Malkoff Junkie? When you can say, "No, I didn't see that Facebook Post. I never log into Facebook except to post Malkoff product reviews on the website in exchange for a 15% off coupon."
    hahaha

  20. #12470
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    How do you know when you're a Malkoff Junkie? When you can say, "No, I didn't see that Facebook Post. I never log into Facebook except to post Malkoff product reviews on the website in exchange for a 15% off coupon."
    15% coupon.. What smart marketing and business promotion, along with the "missing you" emails; I got a M61T + parts order in transit, and my Malkoff basket is already full waiting to go.. I've been hooked and reeled in..

    ** Marco, the Nichia 219b v2 you mentioned, are you talking about the light engines that illumn orders from Mr Malkoff?

    Btw, What time zone are you in Brazil, Sao Paulo (GMT-2) ?
    Last edited by knucklegary; 11-14-2017 at 08:35 PM.

  21. #12471

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Malkoff site lists two mdc 16650 4000k & 5700k XP-L - Both lites are listed as neutral tints. Which are you comparing with nichia 219B, or C ?

    Edit: My preference leans towards cooler tints as 4000k in my eye is little yellow. I've been considering the 5700k for indoor, or in garage/shop use

    Thanks!
    I learn something new every day. I thought the other was a cool white version but you are correct. this is the one I am always talking about(4000k): https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...al-xp-l-2cr123
    The 4000K version has no yellow in it, at least the 2 I bought didn't, they were both the same and very similar to a nichia 219b.

    I am not sure what the 5700k is like from Malkoff but 5700K should be very close to white which should in theory be like my MDC ha liion L-M-H head (which is rated at 4000K): https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...hargeable-head

    EDIT: illumn is the only place to get a Nichia 219b malkoff module. They send the emitters to Gene and Gene makes the modules for them. Unfortunately orders placed by illumn are very random
    Last edited by INFRNL; 11-14-2017 at 09:00 PM.

  22. #12472
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    71

    Post Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Yep, I kinda thought so.. I live in NorCal not far from illumn in San Jose.. Prometheus "Dark Sucks" is also located in Silicon Valley -- I talked with illumn owner Craig couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, his tone sounded like he had little interest placing an order with Malkoff for more Nichia 219b modules in the near future. Hope I'm wrong

    Edit: I got a 16650 MDC XP-L Neutral in my basket just awaiting payment. The 4000k tint should be perfect using in my shop as well as edc back-up to my hound dog

    Thanks for your info..
    Last edited by knucklegary; 11-14-2017 at 11:26 PM.

  23. #12473

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Yep, I kinda thought so.. I live in NorCal not far from illumn in San Jose.. Prometheus "Dark Sucks" is also located in Silicon Valley -- I talked with illumn owner Craig couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, his tone sounded like he had little interest placing an order with Malkoff for more Nichia 219b modules in the near future. Hope I'm wrong

    Edit: I got a 16650 MDC XP-L Neutral in my basket just awaiting payment. The 4000k tint should be perfect using in my shop as well as edc back-up to my hound dog

    Thanks for your info..
    Yes, when i Talked to Gene a while back he said some things about Craig's interest. I believe Craig is currently focusing on other items now rather than anything malkoff related. That's a bummer as i would think there is a decent amount of interest with the nichia modules.

    maybe someone can talk Gene into adding them as a regular item.

    Edit: that is cool that you live close by to both. I once lived in San Jose for a little while in the late 70's, moved here to Colorado around the 3rd quarter of 1980
    Last edited by INFRNL; 11-14-2017 at 11:54 PM.

  24. #12474
    Flashaholic* Grijon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    [Edited]

    If there was an agreement about Nichia Malkoff modules being exclusive for Illumn, I would hope when Illumn declines to continue the line that Malkoff is released from the agreement and is able to produce them for others willing to support the product.
    Last edited by Grijon; 11-15-2017 at 05:20 AM.

  25. #12475
    Flashaholic marco.weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    I still have not had the time and resources (a good camera and photographic ability) to make the beamshots of the malkoff dropins, but I have some images that I have been gathering over time that can help us.


    in my perception (can vary from person to person) the flashlight mdc 16650 neutral has a warm color, similar to the beamshot of that dropin m61 hicri of the image below:



    however the flashlight mdc 16650 5700k has color similar to the beamshot of that dropin m61 of the photo below:



    finally, the dropin with nichia led 219b v2 (marketed by illumn) is exactly that beamshot that follows below:



    the 16650 neutral mdc flashlight has totally different color from the m61n dropins. it is warmer, with a slightly orange color.


    I never had a Hicri dropin, but in all the beamshots I saw and in the conversations I had, it always seemed to me that it was quite warm.


    please INFRNL confirm if my perception is the same as yours.


    knucklegary

    ----------------


    Yes, the time zone where I live in Brazil is the same as Sao Paulo (Gmt -3).
    Last edited by marco.weiss; 11-15-2017 at 06:57 AM.

  26. #12476
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Macro,

    Wonderful (file) photo comparisions, and your color perception is spot-on, IMO

    These photos show why there's such desire for Nichia modules

    There must be enough customer demand to be worth a short Nichia production run..

    Mr Malkoff can count me as another customer waiting in line for a M61 219B V2 HI CRI
    Last edited by knucklegary; 11-15-2017 at 01:03 PM.

  27. #12477
    Flashaholic dhunley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Great beam shots, Marco!

    I kind of wish I held on to the M61L 219B V2, but I actually prefer the neutral XP-G2 drop ins. I do have the M61LLL 219B V2 and I don't think that one is going anywhere.

  28. #12478
    Enlightened glimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    I talked with illumn owner Craig couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, his tone sounded like he had little interest placing an order with Malkoff for more Nichia 219b modules in the near future. Hope I'm wrong
    Thanks for sharing this. My email exchanges left me with the same impression. I've been waiting a long time....

    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Yes, when i Talked to Gene a while back he said some things about Craig's interest. I believe Craig is currently focusing on other items now rather than anything malkoff related. That's a bummer as i would think there is a decent amount of interest with the nichia modules.

    maybe someone can talk Gene into adding them as a regular item.
    I wish Malkoff would make them available one way or another- either directly, or through Illumn. After using Nichia/High CRI lights, I cannot imagine going back. There are so many uses where accurate color is far more important than brightness. With the exception of a high output long range spotter, or maybe a tiny micro light, I will never buy another flashlight or drop-in that is not high CRI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grijon View Post
    If there was an agreement about Nichia Malkoff modules being exclusive for Illumn, I would hope when Illumn declines to continue the line that Malkoff is released from the agreement and is able to produce them for others willing to support the product.
    I have no idea what arrangement there is, but it seems strange that Illumn became the only source for Nichia Malkoffs- even more so given their lack of inventory. They've been sold out of most for a long long time.

    If the Nichia drop-ins were available from either source, I would immediately buy multiple drop-ins, and Malkoff hosts to go with them. Reading this thread, there are many other ready buyers waiting in the wings too.

    Since Gene is apparently willing to make Nichia drop-ins for Illumn, then why not just sell them directly? Don't tell me it can't be done, just tell me what it costs.

  29. #12479
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    I've since added to my basket M361N/VME head for modularity with 16650 body. Figuring I'll cover all bases. Plus, later if i decide to pair VME with SF E1e body i have that option as well -- I believe this decision may have qualified me for something, a button?

    @Glimmer, Gene Malkoff modules are they sub contracted, or made in house?
    Either way I'm sure there's a minimum quanity order. Maybe it's possible Craig/illumn does Not have the funds (along with desire) to meet a minimum order requirement?
    Last edited by knucklegary; 11-15-2017 at 06:15 PM.

  30. #12480
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

    To anyone who has experience purchasing from Illumn, what is the difference between "Sold Out" and "Backordered." Given what we know about the supply chain, it seems these are more or less synonymous. They do claim to have seven M61 SHO 219 b's in stock. I'd like to get one, but I've heard negative things about their stock being represented correctly on the website.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Page 416 of 426 FirstFirst ... 316366406409410411412413414415416417418419420421422423 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •