EAGTAC        
Page 502 of 528 FirstFirst ... 2402452492495496497498499500501502503504505506507508509512 ... LastLast
Results 15,031 to 15,060 of 15836

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    INFRNL and marco.weiss -- what else for us to scavenge when you took all the Malkoff goodies?
    I consider myself lucky to have been able to acquire all the malkoff flashlights I have in my collection.

some products have a well defined purpose, other products can be used more generally, but all are equally robust, of extreme quality and reliability.

I tried, but I could not choose just one flashlight among all the available options, so I got everything I was interested in.

if I had to choose only some models then I think they would be these:

a) hound dog 18650 neutral: to illuminate long distances or even to walk with the dog or perform tasks indoors. this is a very flexible model that serves very well for various purposes.

b) mdc 2AA nichia: for use as a multipurpose flashlight at home, due to the fact of using AA batteries (easy to find), to have three excellent modes / powers of illumination and to use a led of high color rendition.

c) m61lll nichia: this would be my backup flashlight. with it I can use any combination of battery, such as 18650, 16650, AA, CR123, photosynthesis or solar energy. lol

Currently my flashlight edc is a neutral mdc AA. I do not consider this model perfect, but it caters very well because it has a very low mode (to use in the cinema or not to wake the people of the house), a medium mode and a strong way. unfortunately it is not possible to access strong mode quickly.

so I say I still have not found a perfect model to wear every day. the new bobyguard model is perfect for tactical use but not interesting (in my point of view) for edc.

I hope Gene will release a flashlight model of the mdc line that uses 16650 batteries, whose body is in the form of a donut stack (similar to bobyguard) and provides a user interface that makes both traditional customers happy of house or worker) as well as to clients with profile of more tactical use (like a policeman).

in my opinion the only flashlights that serve these two "worlds" satisfactorily are the streamlight protac and the surefire that use the tailcap of the gas pedal type.

detailing better: streamlight lanterns allow you to choose between three distant profiles. in my opinion these profiles serve anyone well on the planet.

profile one: only high;
    profile two: high / strobo / low
    profile three: low / medium / high

in protac lanterns mode change is done through the tailcap with quick clicks. the mode change system is very similar to the malkoff mdc lantern line

surefire flashlights with the gas pedal tailcap have two lighting modes / powers and the mode change is made by pushing the button on the tailcap. pressing the button lightly activates the weak mode and pressing the button hard the strong mode is activated.

in my opinion, a malkoff flashlight with tailcap gas pedal or with a similar user interface to the protac streamlight flashlights would be the perfect product.

Characteristics of my perfect malkoff flashlight:
    - 400 lumens or more;
    - 2 modes with tailcap style gas pedal (similar to surefire edcl-2t) or 3 programmable profiles (similar to streamlight protac)

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    How would compare the full power beam of the M61T to the M91T, both at 8.4 volts (two Li-ion cells)?

Edit for clarity;

I am currently using the M61T with two cells (8.4 volts) for the increased output. According to INFRNL's test, this produces a flat, regulated 450 lumens until the cell protection circuits cut it off. The M91T produces a flat 650 lumens on 8.4 volts until the protection circuits cut it off.

So my question above has to do with my consideration of upgrading to the M91T head, which would require the purchase of an entire M91T light since the head is not offered separately: other than the extra 200 lumens, is there an appreciable difference in the beam itself (size of hot spot, spill, etc.)?

TIA for any insight anyone can provide.
    I just bought both. M61T for EDC, M91T for when I need more power. Overall I find the M91T to be the superior light. Hot spots are very similar. M91T is just brighter. However M91T has more spill and a much more usable low level. If I had to pick one I'd keep the M91T. That being said I will still EDC the M61T because it will be easier to carry most days. I'm used to carrying a 1xcr123a light but have learned to appreciate the efficiency and lux of the T series. My 1 cell light will be moved to a backup role.

nmiller, thanks!

FWIW, running the M61T on two cells really wakes it up and makes low level much more usable (I suspect the same as the M91T). The difference is so dramatic that I now only run the M61T on two cells - a set of 18350 1100mAh cells in a MD2 body. This provides about 75 minutes of full output run time which IMO is more than adequate for a carry light. The same light can also be run on two primary cells, an 18650 or even a 16650.

I'll have to try the 18350 cells. 75 minutes is more than adequate for me. Overall, I'm ok with the M61T on an 18650. Plenty bright on high which is the mode I will use most. While the low isn't the greatest for walking the dog etc, it is great for looking through drawers and other things in low light. I had the M61HOT, but went to the M91T and M61T for their versatility. Now I can pretty much run any cell with either head to better fit my needs.

Lightbulb Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

I am not sure this is appropriate here, but there is a “life hack”. You find something on Malkoff web page, you add it to your cart, you evaluate delivery expenses and later clear your cart (here I am not sure if this step is necessary). Finally you leave the web page without making a purchase.

Later you receive a 20% off discount email

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I am not sure this is appropriate here, but there is a “life hack”. You find something on Malkoff web page, you add it to your cart, you evaluate delivery expenses and later clear your cart (here I am not sure if this step is necessary). Finally you leave the web page without making a purchase.

Later you receive a 20% off discount email
    Ya that’s not a really cool thing to do. They live by there sales and are already very generous with there discounts.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

*Flashaholic*

marco.weiss

You are either the champion here or a very strong contender.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Ya that’s not a really cool thing to do. They live by there sales and are already very generous with there discounts.
    I guess that was very specific discount — the Hound Dog 6V neutral (head only) was not available at 25% discount declared earlier. Perhaps, that was a chance to those who “missed the train”.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    marco.weiss

You are either the champion here or a very strong contender.
    infrnl is our king!

I'm only a big fan of Malkoff products. I'm also a fan of Gene and Cathy and the way they conduct business.

And we are happy junkies

I am no king, it just appears that way because both Marco and i have posted pics of our Mallkoff Families. However as mentioned numerous times, i know there are some of the older guys...or guy collecting Malkoff since the beginning that do not share their collections/secrets.

I love malkoff and the people they are that treat us the way we should be treated, but my collection is mainly for the testing I've been trying to do. I will eventually sell off most of it (especially in cool white variants and keep the ones that interest me the most.

As for the discount when not completing a sale; this has been going on for some time and many sites do this now. However it used to only be a 10% discount. 20% would get me to pull the trigger. many places do not even offer any discounts, so I am usually happy with anything I can get. Although I usually have access to the usual 15% codes from reviews. The recent 25% discount was a very nice offering but I don't think I need anything at the moment. I have enough to keep me occupied for some time.
    I think the Malkoff's are just up on current strategies that work. I definitely appreciate what they offer us and hope they continue that way for the duration
    Last edited by INFRNL; 07-15-2018 at 02:03 PM.

wise words infrnl. amen.

A&Q Moderator

Hyper reliable single celled lights. MD1 running M61LL CW and MD1.5 running M31LL 219B.

MD1 needs higher voltage so run a 16340.

Potted electronics with Hi/Lo ring for two modes.

MD1.5 AA sleeve. Push comes to shove I can remove the orange duct tape for survival. LOL!

CR123 sleeve and spacer to work in a 1XAA length body. 18mm bore so the sleeve is anti rattle.

Built like a little tank.

Yea can't see the Nichia 219 because of a greasy thumb print. I should clean the window... Probably not...

One mode around 50 lumens.

Twisty tail on the MD1.5 makes it about the same size as the MD1 with clicky.

XPG-2CW on left 219B on right.

219 on left XPG on right.

The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

In preparation for fall and winter, I just ordered up an M61W. Just trying to think ahead... (And all of these recent Malkoff pictures didn't help, either! LOL)

After running the M31W in the MDC/VME combo quite a bit during dog walks in poor weather (fog, mist, rain, snow, etc.), as well as an MD2/M61NL combo, I realized this is where the LEDs with warmer temps/tints really work their magic. The cools and neutrals are great, but give more backscatter and are a little harder on the eyes late at night. Figured the M61W and M31W will be similar enough in temp/output (3000K, ~200 lumens); so the MD2 body can be the main light running off a pair of K2 LFP123 rechargeables, with the MDC/VME running off a CR123 primary and taking over backup duty clipped to the pocket.

Now... to eagerly wait for the mail!
    Last edited by bigfoot; 07-19-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Big, I am with you- I carry the bodyguard body and a M31W in VME head now that my wife stole my SF L1. It makes things look soo much better than the white beams do. I also use my M61WL and M61WLL quite a bit on 2 or 3 CR123 or a 16650 or a 2AA setup. All wonderful tools!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    In preparation for fall and winter, I just ordered up an M61W. ….

After running the M31W in the MDC/VME combo quite a bit …...

Now... to eagerly wait for the mail!
    Question for all before I search for hours- is there an agreed upon Runtime king in the Malkoff Family with useful lumens? I mean an emergency light down to the low general purpose range? I use the WLL and out doors use it and the WL (and soon the M91T) as good beams for all but the furthest objects. But don't have a Vampire type that I know of.

Question part 2- do I already own the best long GP? I have more but my malkoff stuff is a mix of MDC tubes (1AA, 2AA, 1CR123, 16650 and an MD4 as well a few 6p and 9p sized lights) and these heads/ dropins: several M31W, an MDC SHO 2-3v, M61WL, M61WLL, M91T...

Thanks!

Malkoff M61 LLL and M31 LLL, both sold exclusively by Illumination Supply, are runtime kings. If I recall correctly, the M61 LLL is about 50 lumens. Looks like they're out of stock currently but I think he plans on keeping them in stock as much as possible. You could probably shoot him (Illumination Supply) an email and ask if he has plans to restock soon.

Yeah, I keep looking at the 31 series L/LL/LLL and wanting. I probably need to spreadsheet what I have and look it over. A few HDS, Surefires and some Armyteks and ZLs. I just have loved the Malkoffs and would be happy keeping the other stuff as loaners and giveaways.

Quote Originally Posted by badbs101 View Post
    Malkoff M61 LLL and M31 LLL, both sold exclusively by Illumination Supply, are runtime kings. If I recall correctly, the M61 LLL is about 50 lumens. Looks like they're out of stock currently but I think he plans on keeping them in stock as much as possible. You could probably shoot him (Illumination Supply) an email and ask if he has plans to restock soon.
    Last edited by bignc; 08-25-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Forgot to post this earlier... here's the Malkoff M31W and MDC/VME combo hanging out with a Spyderco Manix 2.

I have mine set up with a M361 LMH drop-in running on a 16340 cell. I figure 10 to 12 hours of runtime on the low (15 lumens) setting;

@NH Lumens -- it was your great pics that pushed me to order the MDC/VME combo last year! Awesome shots, as always!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    @NH Lumens -- it was your great pics that pushed me to order the MDC/VME combo last year! Awesome shots, as always!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by badbs101 View Post
    I have both of these, and they are fantastic. The M31LLL seems to exceed its rated output. Even on a single AA, it's putting out a lot of light. Great run-times on both.

Ordered a m31ll 219b since I love the m61wll. I will keep my eyes open for a LLL version too.
    Last edited by bignc; 07-19-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bignc View Post

Question for all before I search for hours- is there an agreed upon Runtime king in the Malkoff Family with useful lumens? I mean an emergency light down to the low general purpose range? I use the WLL and out doors use it and the WL (and soon the M91T) as good beams for all but the furthest objects. But don't have a Vampire type that I know of.
    M60LL / M60WLL is king for me. See older thread below they are an amazing drop in. My M60WLL will never leave me!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...M60LL-On-2x-AA
    Last edited by gqlux; 07-20-2018 at 06:28 AM.
    I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you.

Just scored a Surefire 618FA (the forend for a Remington 870) from the 'bay. I took the P60 out, and my trusty M61N went in. Love the beam and perfect tint.
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

*Flashaholic*

cool

M61N is the one size fits all type module

I downsized my M61 modules, the ones I never used. Kept just 2. M61 and M61LLL
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

I EDC two now;

Bodyguard for flash 'n dash and a VME/M361 LMH for utilitarian uses...

Party Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

The MD 22.3 bezel is awesome with my Oveready triple drop-in. Wider spread. Very nice of Cathy to let me order them separately.

Last edited by Cerealand; 07-20-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Even though I do not edc, my choices would be neutral mdc 16650 and m361 219b

For a larger light, my favorite would be hd 18650

Smaller light would be either mdc aa in warm, neutral or 219b

I basically like all warm, neutral, 219b options. Will eventually narrow down my favorite modules. I would say lower output would be L or LL. During testing, i knew which i would choose, but that has slipped my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Even though I do not edc, my choices would be neutral mdc 16650 and m361 219b

For a larger light, my favorite would be hd 18650

Smaller light would be either mdc aa in warm, neutral or 219b
    I like your choices. If I had to pare down my small collection, those would be right at the top of the list of keepers. (Though I need the drop-ins and head for my Surefire lights.)

Well, i currently have over 60 malkoffs , mainly for the runtime testing.

If i can ever get the testing accomplished, i think i want to try and get the collection down to 10 or below. At least 20 or below.

I have no idea which ones i will want to end up keeping. Part of it will depend on if any won't ever be made again. I know there is a nichia module i didn't see pop back up which is really odd.

Otherwise, my collection should be based on ones i will actually use on a regular basis. But we have s long while before any of that happens...too many more tests to run

I should start with all of the cool white and run every high mode test, then move those to better homes. Then work down the line. Kind of like paying off several credit cards strategy

I'd like to one day test with imr unprotected cells but that's probably a bad idea as i won't be able to properly monitor the test and keep from killing cells

I think my 2 closest lights that have all of the main testing done are the m61hot and m61 t. However there has been recent interest in eneloop/aa runtime but I'm not sure if i want to get into any of that.

I can run the test to show the main curve but I'm not currently willing to complete the tests. Hd 18650 has been running all week on a pair of eneloop pros
    Last edited by INFRNL; 07-22-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Page 502 of 528 FirstFirst ... 2402452492495496497498499500501502503504505506507508509512 ... LastLast