EAGTAC        
Page 497 of 533 FirstFirst ... 397447487490491492493494495496497498499500501502503504507 ... LastLast
Results 14,881 to 14,910 of 15965

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    How long has the m61 been advertised as 425 lumens? Does anyone know the lumen increments the m61 has undergone over the years?
    That took me by surprise. Very interesting. The N and W models don't seem to have changed.

Edit: This might merit an email to Gene. The output has increased, but the emitter and advertised run time are the same?
    Last edited by Modernflame; 06-21-2018 at 06:25 AM.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

*Flashaholic*

Interesting.

I have a M61 (like everyone else here) but it's several years old.

Generally it's hard to increase the output substantially without substantial drop in runtime. Or, there is no free lunch.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

*Flashaholic*

I like M91T

what a nice, broad beam, the glorious 650 lumens, it's the proverbial wall of light. With a very nice warm hotspot. And 19K lux will punch out there.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    I like M91T

what a nice, broad beam, the glorious 650 lumens, it's the proverbial wall of light. With a very nice warm hotspot. And 19K lux will punch out there.
    Broad beam and warm hot spot? I thought it was more of a thrower with a cool tint?

Im not sure what the change is. It definitely says 425 lumens but is still using a xpg2. Maybe he upped the drive current.

I swapped emails with Gene. He says that the output of the M61 has been increased incrementally over time, but that the most recent increase was significant enough to advertise. He also indicated that the resulting increase in current draw is minimal.

Something else for INFRNL to test for us.

Flashaholic

^ Did you happen to ask Gene how's the new redesigned (programable UI?) MDC's are coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter1 View Post
    Im not sure what the change is. It definitely says 425 lumens but is still using a xpg2. Maybe he upped the drive current.
    Drive current is now 800mah with 1.25 hours of full output on 2 primaries. I think it was 600mah or 650mah before with 1.5 hours of full output on 2 primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    ^ Did you happen to ask Gene how's the new redesigned (programable UI?) MDC's are coming along?
    No, I think I've pestered the poor fellow enough. Decided I'd give him the summer before I call for an update on that project. I think the 425lm upgrade was meant to appeal to the lumen chasing crowd, although they'd likely prefer a 600lm module that steps down to 350 lumens after a few minutes. That's not really what people need, but it seems to be what they want.

Personally, I prefer the steady, flat, predictable output that has become part of Gene's signature. But what do I know, right? I'm just a Malkoff Junkie.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Drive current is now 800mah with 1.25 hours of full output on 2 primaries. I think it was 600mah or 650mah before with 1.5 hours of full output on 2 primaries.

Truthfully, I prefer the 600 mAh and the lower 320 lumens (or was it 350) versus the latest-greatest.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    No, I think I've pestered the poor fellow enough. Decided I'd give him the summer before I call for an update on that project. I think the 425lm upgrade was meant to appeal to the lumen chasing crowd, although they'd likely prefer a 600lm module that steps down to 350 lumens after a few minutes. That's not really what people need, but it seems to be what they want.

Personally, I prefer the steady, flat, predictable output that has become part of Gene's signature. But what do I know, right? I'm just a Malkoff Junkie.
    That is correct. +1

Don't know if anybody mentioned this or not but the new "raised button" MDC bodies are available on Malkoff's website. I never really got along with the shrouded button so, I ordered one of the new ones today. It's been a long wait...

It's currently available as a body only. It's called
    MDC Shroudless 1CR123 Body

I'm sure a lot of folks will find the knurling to their liking. It looks nice. Personally, I prefer the shrouded tail caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerealand View Post
    I have used Malkoff products for many years. This is a first for me. Has this ever happened to anybody? I am kind of bummed out since this is a limited run M61-XML-2 5000k drop-in.

I dropped my flashlight and I hear rattling. It turns out the reflector popped out of place. The drop-in still functions.

Malkoff special. He repaired it @ no charge and a hand written reply to my note!

Thanks Gene!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerealand View Post

Malkoff special. He repaired it @ no charge and a hand written reply to my note!

Thanks Gene!
    Great news! Thanks for the follow up. It looked like a job for a well placed blob of epoxy, but I'm not sure I'd have been comfortable applying it myself. Probably best left to the chief engineer.

I went to take apeak at the new MDC body and I noticed there's also a new e-series mcclickie tailcap. Might pair nicely with one of those Lumens Factory bodies.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Very nice!.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    I went to take apeak at the new MDC body and I noticed there's also a new e-series mcclickie tailcap. Might pair nicely with one of those Lumens Factory bodies.
    Is this the harbinger of a new flashlight? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the Malkoff "e-series" size bodies to date have integral tail caps. That would make this tail cap the only Malkoff component that is exclusively compatible with non-Malkoff products. I consider myself a fairly competent junkie, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I've overlooked anything.

Does Mr. Malkoff have something else up his sleeve? Or is there really that much demand for after-market e-series switches?

Just bought the new M61 module. I had one a couple of years ago but I sold it because I was more of a tint snob than I am now. As much as I enjoy my neutrals, I've learned to appreciate the utility of cool white.

Flashaholic

...the utility of cool white.
    Mostly to show the superiority of neutrals.

:flame suit on: lol
    I'm not quite as iliterate as my typos would suggest.

Just bought the new M61 module. I had one a couple of years ago but I sold it because I was more of a tint snob than I am now. As much as I enjoy my neutrals, I've learned to appreciate the utility of cool white.
    Observations? I love my M61N but the improved M61 is tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    Sorry, should have clarified. I just placed the order this morning, but I'll definitely return here with observations soon.

Does Mr. Malkoff have something else up his sleeve? Or is there really that much demand for after-market e-series switches?
    On the Chinese sites there are clone Surefire Scout weapon lights available from about $30, strip off the head and switch and replace with a Malkoff E Series tailcap and a Malkoff M300/M600 head for a very nice weapon light.

Perhaps that's why 'fits Surefire E-Series Bodies and most clones' is in the description.

Sorry, should have clarified. I just placed the order this morning, but I'll definitely return here with observations soon.
    Look forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    What is improved?
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    What is improved?
    The cool white M61 got a bump in output from 325 lm to 425 lm. Not a huge difference, but I was in the mood to buy a drop in, so there that is.

Cool! (No pun intended... well thinking about it, yeah it probably was)

Do you see a difference? What I mean is does the new one throw a bit father, or light sideways better? Many times bumped up lumens result in an improved beam in one form or another without a ginormous appearance of being brighter.

Changes like the Elzetta Alpha 415 throws better than the 315 type of change.
    My 175 lumen Pelican 2350 provides a much better spill than the 100 lumen version while not throwing as far as the 100 lumen version.... but better runtime. lol.

^^I'll probably have it by Wednesday. Can't wait to record my impressions here. Or maybe in a dedicated Malkoff drop in thread? Last I heard the mods had this thread slated for execution.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ires-Spec-List
    Like this one?
    I'm hoping this will receive a stay for general commentary and let the already started other threads be in a sticky somewhere so that those searching for specifics can click on those and this one remain for the miscelanious discussions.

I'm looking forward to your comments as well.

Perhaps I'll upgrade my MD2 with the new drop in and use the former in a Pelican 2320 I recently revived.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 06-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.

[...]Last I heard the mods had this thread slated for execution.
    Ya, on my to-do list. :-/

There should be a master M61 thread in the archives; or feel free to create a "Malkoff M61 - now at 4xx lm" thread
    as it could be a popular thread by itself perhaps. And staff can link to it in the thread that will replace this one.

Page 497 of 533 FirstFirst ... 397447487490491492493494495496497498499500501502503504507 ... LastLast