DealExtreme        
Page 418 of 418 FirstFirst ... 318368408411412413414415416417418
Results 12,511 to 12,526 of 12526

Thread: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

I made a few posts not too long back about running an MDC 2AA neutral head on a single AA battery. I was told that the head wouldn't function correctly due to some techy reasons that I don't understand but I decided to do a runtime test and see what happens. So far, on high, the 2AA head has run at a rock solid output for an hour. I'm not sure what the exact output is since I don't have a light meter, but I'm happy to see that it seems to be working just fine! I'll see how long it runs on high and maybe try another round on the med level at a later time. Pretty cool stuff.

EDIT: So it went for around 1 hr 25 min before starting to slightly dip. The odd thing is that at that point I turned it off and then it would only come on in high. No moonlight, no medium. Popped in a fresh eneloop and modes worked again.
    Last edited by gurdygurds; Yesterday at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    My solution was to use the flat top version of the cell and place an o-ring (Danco #11 from Ace Hardware) on top of it to serve as a bumper. I dropped the light a few more times to test, battery remained unscathed;

I'm now also running a flat top and o-ring in my HD 18650.

FYI, I just received my WC v.6 with Keeppower 18500 2000mah cells installed by Gene and there were O-rings already in the battery compartment. Bomb-proof right out of the box!

Maybe Gene liked the idea or was already ahead with of us...

Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    Maybe Gene liked the idea or was already ahead with of us...
    Either way works for me. ;-)

Flashaholic*

I noticed the same thing. It also switches from low to high in the same fashion, for a nano-second, though I would rather it not do that.
    Malkoff Devices!

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    I noticed the same thing. It also switches from low to high in the same fashion, for a nano-second, though I would rather it not do that.
    If the batteries are shorter (IMR flat tops) there's a lot more room for battery movement between the springs, making it easy to hold the head back and engage high for as long as you want. I use IMR flat top cells in both my M61T MD2 and HD 18650, so this "feature" works nicely with both. My WC has the longer protected button top cells (two 18500) so there's less fore-aft play, making it difficult to work the high beam by pulling back on the head. The highest capacity IMR 18500 cells I've found are 1100mah compared to the 2000mah protected button tops in there now, and the WC v.6 needs all the cell capacity it can get.

If the batteries are shorter (IMR flat tops) there's a lot more room for battery movement between the springs, making it easy to hold the head back and engage high for as long as you want. I use IMR flat top cells in both my M61T MD2 and HD 18650, so this "feature" works nicely with both. My WC has the longer protected button top cells (two 18500) so there's less fore-aft play, making it difficult to work the high beam by pulling back on the head. The highest capacity IMR 18500 cells I've found are 1100mah compared to the 2000mah protected button tops in there now, and the WC v.6 needs all the cell capacity it can get.
    The 18500's for sale on the website are still 1700 mAh. Perhaps the website is not up to date?

I picked up a couple of extra packs of Danco # 11 O-rings. Now all of my Malkoff lights have a stack of three for a "switch bumper." Plenty of extras for the positive end of unprotected cells.

Also, is the lens in your WC secured in place by epoxy?
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    The 18500's for sale on the website are still 1700 mAh. Perhaps the website is not up to date?
    I suspect that is the case as only the 2000mah versions are listed on illumn.com. I may order a set of KeepPower IMR 1100mah flat tops from there and give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Also, is the lens in your WC secured in place by epoxy?
    Indeed it is. Between that and the battery compartment O-rings it's ready for some hard use!

A couple of quick observations on the Wildcat v.6 neutral with MD3 body and Tricap, running on a pair of KeepPower 18500 2000mah cells;

• The tint is gorgeous, and very even across the entire beam
    • As expected, the beam is extremely wide and uniform with a soft edge
    • The high CRI rating is evident as this light provides the best color rendition of all my lights
    • Indoors the low setting is truly awesome due to the breadth, uniformity and color temp of the beam (though the HD 18650 remains the "low beam" champ outdoors)
    • Running on high (which is truly spectacular), the 18500 cells get sucked down pretty quickly (probably 30 to 45 minutes of run time)
    • The upside is that mounted on a MD3 body, the WC v.6 will be very "pocketable" with the addition of clip

I've got a 3-pack of Raven Concealment clips inbound, one of which is going on the Wildcat along with one of my DIY finger lanyards (in replacement of the supplied O-ring). I already really like this light - it may end up traveling along with me more than expected. :-)

Indeed it is. Between that and the battery compartment O-rings it's ready for some hard use!
    I got my Wildcat earlier this year, apparently before Gene started cementing the lenses inside the head.

What sort of O-rings are in the battery compartment? That's a new thing.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic

BTW, I discovered (by accident) when using the Malkoff high-low bezel switch, there's a very useful way to temporarily switch to high when operating on low: by only turning the bezel about 5 degrees off of high, you can simply pull the bezel straight back with your thumb and index finger to engage high. This works on both my HD 18650 and M61T MD2, though the smaller MDx head is easier to grip and pull back...
    I do something quite similar. Rotate the head until it just switches to low. The slightest pressure from my pinky or thumb (depending on which grip I'm using) and I get instant high. Very handy and I do this all day long at work.

Dan
    I'm not quite as iliterate as my typos would suggest.

Flashaholic*

No, it has nothing to do with the batteries, but the head engaging the threads, by pushing it down, it acts as if you were turning it. I do not have any flat-top cells, they are button-top.
    Malkoff Devices!

Flashaholic*

Will Malkoff Devices have a Black Friday sale? )
    Malkoff Devices!

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    Will Malkoff Devices have a Black Friday sale? )
    I have never seen anything different from what is normally on sale all the time on the site

Flashaholic*

Makes sense.
    Malkoff Devices!

Enlightened

Re: Battery bumpers, Dash 206 Buna-N o.ring measure .750x.500x.125 search eB

Page 418 of 418 FirstFirst ... 318368408411412413414415416417418