Did some measuring of the current draw at the tail for my M61L 219:

1 Protected AW 17670 - 302mA
    2 Surefire primaries - 281mA
    2 Spiderfire RCRs - 250mA

Default Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    my M61 219 is much cooler than my M61N.
    Can we get beamshots?
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

+ 1 on beamshots comparing 219 to neutral.

Thank you kindly

Pardon my crappy photography skills. I set the white balance to about what i see when i compare them in person.

Wow. Not a bad shot. It looks cooler, but no blue or green hues can be seen. Just whiter. Interesting shot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter21 View Post
    Pardon my crappy photography skills. I set the white balance to about what i see when i compare them in person.
    Nice beamshot .

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    Wow. Not a bad shot. It looks cooler, but no blue or green hues can be seen. Just whiter. Interesting shot. Thanks.

I agree it does look whiter, it looks good to me. Mine should be here any day.
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

Nice beamshot, thanks!
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

Thanks guys i wish all neutrals would have the 219 tint it's perfect.

I couldnt resist. Just placed an order for a M31 219.

I just got my M61 219 today, and it's perfect. Just the right color tint, and flawless beam profile, it has a little more flood at the hotspot, then my other M61's. Money well spent. Awesome.
    Last edited by Glock 22; 05-02-2012 at 03:35 PM.

I just got my M61 219 and M61L 219 today and I am totally impressed!
    I noticed the M61L 219 is ever so slightly warmer than the full power version. Only barely noticeable when comparing the two though.

Can someone with several 219 series drop-ins take beam shots to compare the output of these guys??

Quote Originally Posted by chriscoobs View Post
    Can someone with several 219 series drop-ins take beam shots to compare the output of these guys??
    I'll take care of that when I get back in town

Craig

I got the chance to handle GLOCK22's M61 219 this evening and it's sweet! My first time seeing a hi cri led light. Super nice tint and floody beam. I could definitely notice the better color rendering with the hi cri of the nichia. There was a few minor rings in the outer spill beam, but nothing I would complain about or stop me from buying one. Till now, I have shyed away from the hi cri xpg's because of the tint being too warm. Not a problem with the nichia's. I cant wait to see brighter bins with these led's.

Enlightened

Notes on my M61L 219:

The tint has become quite a bit cooler after about 10 hours of use. The light is also brighter now after 10 hours - I would have to say at least 110 lumens. The ceiling bounce I get now compared to when I first used it is much better. Still using a protected AW 17670 and the module will stay regulation down to 2.86 volts.

Love this dropin! Thank you again Craig and Gene!

hi guys,,,does the m61 219 look that pink or is it the exposure??if its that pink i dont think id like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright_Light View Post
    Notes on my M61L 219:

The tint has become quite a bit cooler after about 10 hours of use. The light is also brighter now after 10 hours - I would have to say at least 110 lumens. The ceiling bounce I get now compared to when I first used it is much better. Still using a protected AW 17670 and the module will stay regulation down to 2.86 volts.

Love this dropin! Thank you again Craig and Gene!

interesting....
    could it have a break in period? gets better with age perhaps? is cooler better? meaning the tint is leaning towards the 119 side? hmmm.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by hron61 View Post
    interesting....
    could it have a break in period? gets better with age perhaps? is cooler better? meaning the tint is leaning towards the 119 side? hmmm.
    Yes, I do prefer the cooler tint (and more lumens) now. I have to admit, when I first started using my M61L 219, the tint was a LITTLE too warm for my taste, but it's damn near perfect now. Someone just posted a picture on the MP comparing the M61 219 with a haiku 119 - the 219 was quite a bit cooler.

Here's an interesting thread about "burn-in".
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ntly-lowers-Vf

I'll be using the dropin for MANY years to come.

I am using an M31 Nichia 219 in an MD3 body with a new hi-low ring (75 ohm resistor.) Powered with 2 eneloops (about 2.5 volts), the light won't turn on in low mode. If I start in high and switch to low, I get a couple lumens, which is a nice amount of light in a dark house - it is bright enough for me to see color more than 20 feet away. On low, It is about 1/5 or 1/10 the lumens from my M61 Nichia 219 powered by 2x AW 18350 at ~8V. On high the two drop-ins are almost identical, with a very slight advantage for the M61 with 8V.

I wonder how long you could run the M31 219 on low with 2 eneloops before it finally quits? Here is a quick estimate.

On low I measured .030 amp at the tail. At 2.5 volts that is 0.075 watts. 2 eneloops contain about 2 Ah * 1.2V * 2 cells = 4.8 watt hours. Assuming I can squeeze all the power out of them, and the current draw doesn't ramp up as the voltage drops, I could run the light for 64 hours.

On high, I see 1.425 amps at the tail. At 2.5 volts that's 3.6 watts. Expect over an hour of high beam from 2 eneloops!

Oh, by the way, the color rendition is FANTASTIC and I want all my lights to have this emitter now. Tint looks perfectly natural, it's very easy on the eyes. I get balanced rainbows when I shine it on a chandelier, with no weak colors or domination by red or blue. White walls look pretty much white. This is the all-around white LED I have been waiting for.

So now I am torn between waiting for a higher-efficiency version, or replacing all my emitters with this one before the supply disappears. Hey, it happened with the M60W - I liked that peachy/rosy tint better than just about any XPG. For a few things (throw, pleasant tint for human skin) I still prefer the M60W over the Nichia. But in general I prefer the Nichia 219.

--Max_Power
    "What that thing needs, is more power." - Tim Allen

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by af112566 View Post
    hi guys,,,does the m61 219 look that pink or is it the exposure??if its that pink i dont think id like it.
    Mine does not look that pink in real life. It is an almost perfect white tint and it is very nice!

No pink whatsoever on mine , it's just like thaugen said an almost perfect white tint. Awesome Drop-In!

Quote Originally Posted by af112566 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thaugen View Post
    Mine does not look that pink in real life. It is an almost perfect white tint and it is very nice!

Flashaholic

Are there any plans on releasing a model with an optic better suited to the Nichia?

Just got to test out my M31 219 tonight. Awesome! Definitely my favorite tint/drop in thus far. To my eyes I really couldn't tell a differenc in perceived brightness between my M31N and this drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by FPSRelic View Post
    Are there any plans on releasing a model with an optic better suited to the Nichia?
    The dark ring I see on my M31/M61 219 drop-ins is so far out on the periphery of the pattern that I don't notice it in actual use.
    "What that thing needs, is more power." - Tim Allen

Guys, to me the dark ring is not a problem at all with the nichia and the current reflector works very well. Barely noticeable and It is nothing like the xre cree rings around the hotspot that were very irritating to say the least. But, I do wish Gene would reconsider using optics instead of reflectors in some of his modules.

Here's my first Malkoff. After seeing GLOCK22's, i had to have one. I found this one for sale as is. Its a surefire E1E body, VME head and M31.
    I'm going to put an E2DL tail on it.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    The dark ring I see on my M31/M61 219 drop-ins is so far out on the periphery of the pattern that I don't notice it in actual use.
    Dark rings don't really worry me. I'm actually more interested in throw vs flood, and my understanding was the Nichia can be good for decent throw if used with the right optic. Is this correct?

i have a nichia 219 module with a light op reflector made by wayne/vinh.it has surprisingly good throw!!

Ha! I love that this is regaining popularity. I purchase an E1B from GLOCK22 for the sole purpose of building a "shortie" Malkoff based on one I had seen somewhere. I posted a picture in a thread, he saw it and built one of his own, and now another one appears.

It's a very solid little pocket rocket. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by MattSPL View Post
    Here's my first Malkoff. After seeing GLOCK22's, i had to have one. I found this one for sale as is. Its a surefire E1E body, VME head and M31.
    I'm going to put an E2DL tail on it.

Thanks Yes, great little light. I'll try it outside tonight. My E2DL tail cap is in the post now too

Has anybody any experience with the Titanium VME head?

Cheers
    Matt

Page 5 of 525 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105505 ... LastLast