• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Floody High CRI

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Hi there, trying to make sense of the titanium McGizmo offerings and although the FAQ and other stickies help, I'm having a hard time narrowing things down.

Top considerations:
- High CRI
- Very floody

Secondary considerations:
- available "low" mode
- AA/14500 single battery
(will consider RCR123A in a pinch)

Like but certainly not required:
- higher output (~100 lm)

Can someone assist? Thanks!

scout24

Flashaholic
High cri mule with Don's 2xAA pack probably comes closest to your specs. 1x123 is preferred, personally, being easier to pocket carry.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
So the mule is the most flood of the HCRI?

I'd do CR123A but would like to have AA option.

I have a HCRI Jetbeam RRT-0. With the AA extender, it's the perfect length but it's not Ti.

I have the V10R Ti in neutral. It's great but it's not HCRI, extender or not.

I have the Preon 1 HCRI satin titanium. Awesome flood but very small, not a great form factor for what I'm looking for.

If the Mule is similar length to the RRT-0 with extender then that's a go. The only thing left would be how to power the Mule. I'll dig more into the Mule FAQ thread then and see.

Again I'm supposing the Mule is recommended on the flood factor, yes?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
What might be the "next step down" in the floody ranked ladder?

mattp

Enlightened
Yep, SunDrop projects a floody disc of light, much better projection than the Mule but still no hotspot and lovely high CRI.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not sure you want to hear even more complicated options, but ...

The SunDrop also has an XR-U version (slightly larger bezel and a bit more "throw", also more options for swapping the light engine)

and ...

There are/were a few different HighCRI light engines available, but most common are Nichia 083b and 119

The lens of the SunDrop does result in a beam "rim" artifact, that is not present in the Mule - though still floody, this lens does project the beam more than the Mule.

You can also certainly buy two McClicky Packs (1xCR123, 2xAA), for the 3v light engine, if you want more power options.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Mule: super-floody, no optics at all.
Sundrop: circular disc of light, no hotspot, convex lense optic.
Haiku: normal beam with a hotspot in the center, uses a reflector. Optional Cree XM-L emitter produces a very floody beam though. Somewhere there are comparison pictures.

If you get the Sundrop, get the XRU version. It allows more space for different kinds of emitters to be used. The original Sundrop was designed for use with one specific emitter, which has been discontinued.

There is no 1xAA option for McGizmos. Perhaps another builder makes a 1xAA tube that will fit, but you'll have to use a 14500 battery in it. All of McGizmo's current offerings are Surefire E-series compatible, so there are a lot of accessories available.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
My gosh why are you guys so helpful at burning a few hundred from my pocket !! :)

I'll give it a read but I think a Sundrop flavor it is...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Ok so Sundrop XRU, CR123 pack. Of the two emitter options, what would be the one liner difference of them? That is, the two Nichias.

fyrstormer

Banned
Email him. dmcleish {at] pacbell *.* com.

Did you decide against the Sundrop? You can get a Sundrop XRU with the Nichia 119 Hi-CRI emitter. Somewhere there are pictures of the beam, it looks very nice. The Haiku will focus the light and make it more usable beyond ~3 meters, though.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Yep nixed the Sundrop. I remember what the beam looked like on the Sipik SK68 and having a sharply defined illumination area is not what I'd prefer. Haiku, then Sundrop.

The email is @pacbell.net and not .com by the way.

nbp

Flashaholic
You can't change your avatar js, it screws me all up. :nana:

I was like, hey who's the new guy?! Oh, it's Jim. Lol