Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction?

Default is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction?

i suppose "supportive" is a rather vague and subjective term ... however...

my wife thinks my newfound hobby is cool, although sometimes she doesnt understand why i have more than 1 or 2... she usually is game for me explaining the difference between throw/spill/hotspot etc but gets bored fast lol

doesnt care too much about the $ as long as she gets her share of "discretionary income" haha

i think she is a little bit happier that i am no longer pushing for another expensive watch

Default Re: is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction

Wives and SOs everywhere should rest assured that, even if a guy or gal is buying pricey custom lights, this hobby comes nowhere CLOSE to what a lot of other hobbies do, expense wise.

Watches are a pretty good example. Add to that firearms, motorcycles, auto racing, SCUBA diving, flying, etc.
    Last edited by 750.356; 04-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Default Re: is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction

My wife doesn't understand my love of lights, and why I need so many.

She does like having them around (giggles like a little kid at the Maxabeam) and is supportive of me when I do want a new light.

I tend to not buy to many lights, but I do buy higher quality stuff these days, maybe 3-5 lights a year
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaul320 View Post
    Doesn't care too much about the $ as long as she gets her share of "discretionary income" haha
    Yup, get married and everything you want to buy cost twice as much.

My significant other is "tolerant", I'm tolerant of all kinds of silly stuff as well.
    One of my longest married friends swears up and down that the secret of domestic tranquility is Separate Bank Accounts.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

HAHA no but that probably has to do with the knives, and being extremely picky and loving a good expensive pen luckily the watch thing never caught on, but you can never have enough useful objects right?

Last edited by squirrel15; 11-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.

She's fine with it because we've come to an arrangement. I don't question her hobbies and she doesn't question mine.

My wife isn't supportive, but she also doesn't care. She knows I buy/sell/collect guns, knives, and now flashlights as a hobby, and she's cool with that. However, if she saw how much stuff I actually had, she may get a little upset .

Although, she really can't complain since she's always buying handbags and shoes that cost a lot more.

My dog is very supportive of my flashlight addiction. It means she gets to go on a nightly flashlight walk, which she likes.
    I don't have a wife to complain.

Flashaholic

She has collections of shoes, handbags, cheap watches and cheap jewelry. My 20+ lights will fit in a shoebox or two. (except for my two Mag 2 D's)

Quote Originally Posted by edpmis02 View Post
    She has collections of shoes, handbags, cheap watches and cheap jewelry. My 20+ lights will fit in a shoebox or two. (except for my two Mag 2 D's)
    So true. In fact, I could fit half of my collection inside my 6D mag!

*Flashaholic*

My wife said the madness has to stop.

I think that was in 1980 or so?

Nope ,Not one bit lol , she found out the $ for my Surefire 10x and it was on, It was so bad i had to sell it off so I whould not get any more grief when i used it.

My wife works days, I work nights. The postman delivers during the day when I am home and she is not. Problem solved. Just have to hide the credit card statements...

Cheers

Enlightened

My wife made the mistake of getting me into the hobby. i was hooked on cheap dx lights and
    work lights. And then for Fathers day she gave me an O-light m30 and SF e2dl. Game over! Game over man!
    It's her fault I'm like this. hahahaha. She has no problem with it unless i cut into her play $$$$.

In 1984, I met a woman who was supportive of all my hobbies, and participated in many of them. That was rare and was one of the chief reasons I married her a year later. Throughout the past 27 years of marriage, we continue to enjoy and support each others' hobbies.
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

She laughs when I get a new one but then when she needs one and it is not in the right drawer or in her car or whatever then she changes her tune.

Also, when she goes camping with her friends and has 400 lumens in a hand sized light, she appreciates what she has. Everybody else on the campsite has a 2xD eveready with half empty cells, and she can light up the whole campground, if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    One of my longest married friends swears up and down that the secret of domestic tranquility is Separate Bank Accounts.
    Bingo! That's how we do things here since 2004. Don't get me wrong, we also help each other out but after the bills are paid the "extra funds" can be spent however we like.

She also appreciates a useful light too and carries TWO lights with her as well.

My wife used to wonder why i've always had a passion for flashlights but now she's very supportive,she knows i work hard & i give most of my earnings to her for the bills & everything else she has to contend with.As long as i only buy a new light
    when i've worked overtime she's great as we share my overtime money for our luxeries,mine being flashlights hers being face creams & moisturises.So overtime means happy days in my house.

My SO is my flashlight.

I had a female friend who said I was crazy for buying a Fenix LD10. After hanging out with me for a couple months, she started carrying a cheap Akoray that I gave her wherever she goes. She'll never buy a $15+ flashlight, but now she won't ever leave the house without one either.

Supportive? I wouldn't necessarily say that. It is what it is...
    My dog ate my flashlight...

Mrs Umbra is very supportive. She knows more about light than anyone I know.

I feel I need to secretly buy or else.... Its time for new shoes or something.

Flashaholic

HIDblue,

I concurr lol. My wife LOVES me and my time BUT.. HATES the flashlights!!! LOL. She's a jealous wife though, and hardly buys anything for herself and is the thrifty one out of both of us. Damn good woman though, doesnt like to spend extra money. Im the free spirit (although we still budget).

Last week I was kinda tired and sad due to a lot of work and some other stuff going on with my car. I was browsing around the MP and saw a Lummi RAW I always wanted, my GF saw me and said: "go ahead, buy it!" with a smile.

We've lived together for over 7 years, joint bank account and everything. She supports my hobby's and I support hers.

Of course Saturday morning I bought the TechnoMarine she had on the Amazon cart. It's a give and take.

Bought a Fenix e15 on sale for 20 bucks and 3 cr123 cells, had to listen to 10 minutes of crap.

Asked her if she wants to go the movies. She said yes. Explained that those 90 minutes of fun don't last as long as the flashlight. Didn't go to the movies.

Depends....
    if i'm making $ with it, she loves it.
    if i'm spending $ on it, she hates it.
    if i shine her in the eyes with them,.... well u can imagine how she feels then. (and how i subsequently feel shortly there after! lmao)
    if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w(for sale), Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30.

The girlfriend makes fun of me pretty endlessly for it, but she was awfully happy I had my Quark X and my Strion LED with me when we took a shortcut through the woods on our walk last night [Although... I may have taken that really really dark shortcut to try out the Quark that came in the mail yesterday ]
    Current: Streamlight Strion LED, Stinger, PolyStinger DS LED, Stinger DS HP LED, Quark "X" 1232 Tactical.
    ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician, Honda Journeyman Certified Technician

Flashaholic

My wife is cool with it...Though not a flashaholic she has stolen my Fenix TK20 and is holding it hostage pending my paying the ransom of a Surefire G2X Pro. She also has a Fenix E05 and a couple of my keychain LEDs. She is generally very supportive if I "really" want something.

I'm glad I got into my gadget collecting hobbies while still single. No one to yell at me when I buy another Muyshondt or Atwood...and now any woman to come in the future will know what she's getting into from the start.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast