ArmyTek
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction?

Default Re: is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Jetbeam TC-R2, same as the one I carry nowadays. She has four college degrees, I figure she can handle the control ring UI.
    If she can handle you, I don't any flashlight made should pose much of a problem.

Default Re: is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    If she can handle you, I don't any flashlight made should pose much of a problem.
    Are you saying I'm difficult to get along with??

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Are you saying I'm difficult to get along with??
    Intelligent, opinionated people often pose certain...challenges.

Hey, I can't help it that I've already figured out the best way to do everything. The confounding part is why people insist on refusing my sage advice. Oh well, at least I know I'll always have a competitive advantage...

But yes, she is very patient and slow to anger and that helps a lot. She also appreciates hearing my thoughts on just about everything (or at least acts like it), and she skims off the little bit of useful info she hadn't already thought of, which lets me feel helpful.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 06-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Haha, that totally sounds like something I would say.

Let me guess: You're an only child and she's the baby of the family. Am I right?

My wife appreciates my EDC items because I always prioritize being chivalrous by using them to protect her, light her way and open boxes for her.
    Last edited by dmk005; 06-13-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Haha, that totally sounds like something I would say.

Let me guess: You're an only child and she's the baby of the family. Am I right?
    I'm an only child and my brother is too. (we're 10 years apart, so our childhoods didn't overlap much.)

She's the middle of three, spaced two years apart. Only girl in the family, though. When we compared our "internal ages", i.e. how old we feel in our minds, I said 35 and she said 12. Ironically, biologically she's older than me. I guess it averages out.

Flashaholic*

You know....I really haven't thought to ask her what she thinks about it. Then again, she doesn't ask me what I think about her frequent facials, nails being done, massages, stupidly priced hair salon, insane amounts of overpriced clothes, glamor coffee addiction, and landscaping (flowers are so useless).
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

Nope not at all. My gf made fun of me when I bought my Fulton M-993 but o well I like em .

Flashaholic*

NO!!! They are not supportive of my flashlight addiction. They think that I'm wasting my money on lights I don't use. I practically use each one of them. Well, the ones I didn't use are given away. I kept my Spark ST-460NW, Crelant 7G5 and Sinninbeam P-Rocket. Soon, I want to get me a Xeno S3A as an EDC.

If they don't like my addiction, I'll be taking the light back that I gave them.

Not supportive but appreciate my hobby as it has helped her on several ocasion prior to this. She ia also edcing a SF E1L nowadays....
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

Flashaholic*

Not really. But... do I look like I care?

Cheers
    Thorsten

Right now, I am a

Today, my better half gives me a card (it's my b-day), which is normal. However, there are 5 crispy 20's with a note that says "buy some flashlights and stuff".

So, I'd say yes. Shiningbeam, here I come!
    Last edited by Bigpal; 06-25-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpal View Post
    Today, my better half gives me a card (it's my b-day), which is normal. However, there are 5 crispy 20's with a note that says "buy some flashlights and stuff".
    Keep that one.

I'm not a flashaholic in the strict sense, just a fellow traveler in search of the perfect bike light... as such, I have a lot of disassembled flashlights, clips, mounts, and wires lying around, and I've hat packages from 6 different places en-route at one time (more than once). My girlfriend used to find my enthusiasm/excitement contagious and was willing to overlook my spending... then, I rigged up a reading light for her Kindle using a single AA, dimmer, and warm white 5mm LED. Since then she's been taking an active interest herself and did the soldering/casing on her most recent reading light, and we wired up some fixed/plug-in LED night lights for our bathroom last weekend. She also has the most wicked dynamo-powered rear blinker on her bike now, too.

Well? Sometimes my wife is ok with my new flashlights! She doesn't have the same understanding that I do of why I want more lights? I always have my EDC light in my pocket and I have tried to provide her with an EDC light several times, (which she seems to loose?). She just has a difficult time understanding why I need so many? ( I just don't count them!) She isn't a shoe buyer either so I can't use that excuse with her! I do think she is beginning to not question as much though since I don't really have an explanation anyway. I know I have more than 25 lights, but I also have more than 40 knives, 15 motorcycles, 12 guns, 8 watches, and 6 pairs of boots! Oh Well???

FJRick

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    My significant other is "tolerant", I'm tolerant of all kinds of silly stuff as well.
    One of my longest married friends swears up and down that the secret of domestic tranquility is Separate Bank Accounts.
    Similar solution:

Wife and I set up our finances so that after we've budgeted for normal monthly expenses and savings, each of us receives some "play money," deposited into separate accounts. The actual amount is a percentage of what's left after expenses, divided equally between us. Neither of us is allowed to give the other a hard time about what that money is used for, as long as we limit our frivolous individual purchases to what's in our respective accounts. Sometimes we laugh at each others' choices, but we don't fight about them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRick View Post
    Well? Sometimes my wife is ok with my new flashlights! She doesn't have the same understanding that I do of why I want more lights? I always have my EDC light in my pocket and I have tried to provide her with an EDC light several times, (which she seems to loose?). She just has a difficult time understanding why I need so many? ( I just don't count them!) She isn't a shoe buyer either so I can't use that excuse with her! I do think she is beginning to not question as much though since I don't really have an explanation anyway. I know I have more than 25 lights, but I also have more than 40 knives, 15 motorcycles, 12 guns, 8 watches, and 6 pairs of boots! Oh Well???

FJRick
    Hi Uncle Rick, can I have some money?

Enlightened

Today my girlfriend was casually checking out my collections while i was working. She said she really likes my niteye Eye10 and asked how much was that. After I replied she murmured it would be much better if I spent the money on handbags for her Anyway she really likes the Quark 123 I gave her so I guess she's supportive?
    Last edited by timsmile; 05-08-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Surefire E2DL, LX2, C2-HA (Oveready XPG2 triple, XML2 Mini Turbohead, Mattaus 219 triple), Eagletac M2SC4 MKII, P20C2 MK II, G25C2, D25A Ti, Inova T3 (TIROS), Inforce 9VX, Jetbeam III M, Niteye EYE10, Fenix TK12, Mac SST-50 1.4a EDC, Tain Flute, McGizmo Haiku XM-L2

Flashaholic

Wife seem to grunge a little when I was ordering a few hundred $$ in flashlight last Jan. Then I added a few more to replace her old 3-d Mag for her vehicle, and a 1xAA for her purse, plus a 2xAA for her kitchen oven checker. Now she's fine about upgrading several lights, maybe because I got her a few for her use. She also likes the EA4 that also replaced the old 6-D Mag we kept by the back door for backyard night check/use. I guess because I included her, it's all good now.

Flashaholic

No problems. I buy guns, knives, lights, and accessories for them all (scopes, bipods, cleaning kits, ammunition, slings, holsters, sharpeners, specialty tools, batteries, chargers, lubricants, etc.) and she buys, well, guns, knives, and cosmetics. Our 11-year-old daughter uses her own money to buy knives, lights, toys, and even has her own Ruger 10-22 that I got for her.

But there was that one time...

My gf loves tactical gear and has surefire e1b for herself. She not only supports it but she's bought me a few high-end lights.

Flashaholic*

When the new light is delivered at high noon, "Why do you need so many lights?" But when She is going on a business trip, the question is asked as if it's being sung by Angels. "Do you have any lights for meeee in case I wake up in the middle of the night?" She used to carry a sunwayman V10, but when asked where THAT light is, "I don't know" It's at tis point when I feel like Mr. Hand. To answer the OP. Yes, and no. Depends on which way "the mood" is swaying. Fire and brimstone or Heavenly light.
    Last edited by LGT; 05-08-2013 at 03:04 PM.

I would say she is supportive but I think it is only because if she sees me buy an expensive light she thinks that gives her the right to go buy an expensive purse or new shoes. I disagree with this logic of course, I don't seem to ever win that argument though. I see lots of new purses and shoes.

My GF thinks me getting wrapped up in the specs having so many is silly but also finds them at least casually interesting, especially if I can rope them into an activity like night hiking. She's got a good eye for tint as well, I recently took out a Shiningbeam Blaze (with a cool-white XM-L) and a Solarforce L2P with a 4000k XP-E2 drop-in and she said she liked the color of the neutral white alot better in the woods. She even went as far as calling it "the nature light"

Not at all supportive... Rolls her eyes and often asks how many more I need. But it also gives her implicit authority to feed her addictions...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234