What are floating lanterns for?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are floating lanterns for? Is their sole appeal that they float if you drop them off the side of a boat? Are they the only thing that uses the big 6v batteries?

I got one when it was packaged with another light that I wanted to play with. Now that I've looked at it, I'm completely baffled as to what it's appeal is. How does the runtime typically compare with more common 4D flashlight using the same 6v bulb?

--flatline

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I donno, kinda cool that it floats though.
I like sticking a preferred light to something that floats if flotation is needed. Lanyards are cool.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's for fishermen who run the risk of things falling overboard. You can also make any pocket radio a floating radio by sealing it in a Ziplock bag with as much air as possible.

The 6v lantern cells are in many cases just full of smaller F-size cells, which means their packing efficiency isn't very good, which means they don't hold up well against modern cells/lights.

Norm

Retired Administrator
The 6v lantern cells are in many cases just full of smaller F-size cells, which means their packing efficiency isn't very good, which means they don't hold up well against modern cells/lights.

Not too sure what you mean by smaller F size cells, four F cells take up all of the available space. I have seen the same size battery case with D cells and a spacer to fill the extra space not used by the smaller D cells,.

Norm

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
I lost two of those so called "floating" lanterns during Hurricane Isabel. I don't recall what brand they were, but they certainly did not float when they tumbled out of the front end loader into the water. The public works department bought a whole mess of those because they could use either the same lantern batteries that our barrier markers took or D cells with an adapter, that and they were cheap. If you plan on buying one for it's floating ability, you might want to try it out first.

The couple of batteries that I have disassembled had four D cells inside, Duracell.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
not all floating lanterns actually float, i i like this style of lights, so i experemented with pbly most if not all that are on the market in us, some are so bad they not only don't float with battery inside, but despitel efforts to seal them, they take on water very fast, some however folat and made a lot better, and no leaks, and even very usefull to actually illuminate.
i have lost 2 moded , nonefloating, lights in water, they fell overboard, since than i only use floating lights i moded on boats, but i have not had any of them fall out, yet.

one of the good quality lanterns is black and decker, orange ones, they are sold in walmart with 4d cells, cheap zink cells (they are lighter than alkalines), and 4d-6v adapter. with those cells in adapter it floats, if you put in 6v battery it'll sink.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
They can be used as bobbers for night fishing.

:D

To clarify a bit - The dry cell lanterns are not all described as floating lanterns...some are just dry cell lanterns.

The floating versions were meant to not sink if you dropped them into the water...which also reduced the need to be as water proof, etc.

Last edited:

awenta

Enlightened
So they don't sink?

They can be used as bobbers for night fishing.

:D

To clarify a bit - The dry cell lanterns are not all described as floating lanterns...some are just dry cell lanterns.

The floating versions were meant to not sink if you dropped them into the water...which also reduced the need to be as water proof, etc.

Maybe they float without batteries.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I used those type lanterns for 15years, and in ways they were handy, I liked that they had a large reflector and could throw a beam well (considering the low output of the bulb) They worked well on the farm, because I could set them down and they would stay right there. And they tailstand like nothing else.
I would not have one today with the lights we have now but remember some time ago all you had for choices were these and Maglights, at least thats all I ever found at the local harware store. other than the really cheep plastic "toys".
I would love to see a company like 4/7 build a similar lantern style light, with a rechargable 18650 battery pack, and led in those familiar housings. A reflector that size could reign in an XML into a real thrower.

Walterk

Enlightened
Floating is safe when you loose it with watersports, obvious I would think....:whistle: ...

A colleague recently explained to me that the most favourable dive-lights for divers have 'neutral bouyancy'.
Meaning that from around 10 metres and under, the light neither floats up nor hangs down on the wrist lanyard.
Apparantly the weight/volume ratio has some ratio that makes it work out that way, within limits.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's for fishermen who run the risk of things falling overboard. You can also make any pocket radio a floating radio by sealing it in a Ziplock bag with as much air as possible.

Like Norm,the F-cells I have seen are larger than D cells and are one of the factors that make 6V batteries desirable.I believe many of the "floating" lanterns may only float if used with the lighter carbon-zinc batteries but for individuals living in flood prone areas or working around water it is a worthwhile feature IMO,at least you should get water resistance.A lantern style light with an LED drop-in and a quality 6V battery should actually provide decent runtime and make a good low cost emergency light.

EDIT: Just wanted to warn people that most LED PR base drop-ins are (+) polarity and will :poof:in 6V lanterns that are usually (-) polarity.Dorcy offers a PR base LED drop-in that will work in 6V lanterns for anyone looking.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to warn people that most LED PR base drop-ins are (+) polarity and will :poof:in 6V lanterns that are usually (-) polarity.Dorcy offers a PR base LED drop-in that will work in 6V lanterns for anyone looking.

Or look for an LED replacement for PR based bulbs that has polarity protection.

In addition (IIRC) aren't Maglites built with a polarity that's the opposite of most 6v. lanterns? Not afraid to be wrong about this but it is a really, really good idea to check it out before swapping out any PR based bulbs for LED's. The cost might not be too great but the frustration level of a failure is pretty darned high.

Folks looking for replacements should google phrases like "PR base 6 volt led replacement" for starters. There are also threads on the forum that will lead to various choices and info.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never had one fall out of a boat, but I have one, and like to carry it in the truck when traveling. It is easy to carry and the battery last a long time. It is easy to use if you have a flat and sit it on the ground. If I lost the one I have I would buy another. A lot of light and cheap.
Jerry

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Norm,the F-cells I have seen are larger than D cells and are one of the factors that make 6V batteries desirable.I believe many of the "floating" lanterns may only float if used with the lighter carbon-zinc batteries but for individuals living in flood prone areas or working around water it is a worthwhile feature IMO,at least you should get water resistance.A lantern style light with an LED drop-in and a quality 6V battery should actually provide decent runtime and make a good low cost emergency light.

EDIT: Just wanted to warn people that most LED PR base drop-ins are (+) polarity and will :poof:in 6V lanterns that are usually (-) polarity.Dorcy offers a PR base LED drop-in that will work in 6V lanterns for anyone looking.

Is it worth putting a $7 Dorcy PR-style LED drop-in into a floating lantern when for $5 you can buy an LED floating lantern?

I've never tried the 5xLED floating lanterns that they're selling everywhere so I have no idea if the beams are any good compared to a converted PR-style lantern.

--flatline

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you get a lot more throw from pr bulb, than you would from led pr drop in, those $5 led lanterns give you no throw, just some flood.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Everready Dolphin floating lantern is quite a throw monster with a four-cell MagnumStar xenon bulb.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big reflector of the one I have is very fussy about the distance I use it at.

With a 50 lumen Terralux TLE-1F it focusses well at distance, gives me a donut hole at 10 feet or closer.
With a 180 lumen superbrightleds PR2-3WHP-9V it focusses well under 10 feet, gives me a donut hole at distance.

Since I got close up covered with my Quark X 14500, Quark MiNi AA2 and MiniMaglite Pro I wanted to use the floating lantern for throw but I am stuck with 50 bulb lumens.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it worth putting a $7 Dorcy PR-style LED drop-in into a floating lantern when for $5 you can buy an LED floating lantern?

I've never tried the 5xLED floating lanterns that they're selling everywhere so I have no idea if the beams are any good compared to a converted PR-style lantern.

--flatline

That is a good question and I think the answer is YES.Based on what I have seen many of the low cost LED lights are a little suspect in quality.The incandescent lanterns are usually fairly simple affairs without much to go wrong - when you get a decent drop-in you should have a fairly reliable, albiet modest performing, light.I would opt for looking around and getting a decent incan lantern that may cost over $10 (Eveready Dolphin?) but that should still keep you at 20 or less with a drop-in like the Dorcy.You could even keep a spare LED drop-in with the light if you wanted in the unlikely event the first one fails.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
IMO the days of 6v lantern battery and 4D cell incan lights has pretty much gone with the advent of high power LED emitters. A 2D cree LED thrower has more output and runtime than an incan 6V lantern. Floating to me was less an issue for the most part I would say one could use 4AA cells in a lantern or any 4D light and it would probably float if water tight. Even some 2D lights may float using AA cells in them. If one is needing a floating light chances are they need a better light than a clunky 6v lantern anyway.