Light for Doctor's profession

Sachin

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I would like to gift a small EDC light to my brother who is a doctor. The points he is concerned about if the light is to be useful to him are
  • It should have a low light mode (for shining in patients eyes to check pupil dialation wihout causing discomfort). I am not sure how much should be the minimum lumens but I guess less than 1 lumen.
  • It should be as close to daylight colours or yellow glow of a tungsten filament conventional lamps. I think this is difficult condition for most of the modern LED EDC lights.
My own condition is that the light should have high modes too, to be useful in case of emergency.

I have following lights in mind
  • New 4Sevens Preon P0 (minimum of 0.24 lumens) - very compact light.
  • Thrunite 1A (Minimum of 0.09 lumens) - little bulkier as works on AA.
Looking only for AAA or AA battery lights. Do let me know if there are other lights which I can consider.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what your budget is but I'd go with a light that has more closely spaced levels in the lower lumen range, or, as much I dislike the pathetic runtimes on infinitely variable ring lights, they might be a good choice too. Depending upon ambient light conditions, moonlight and firefly may not be enough and the next level on both of those lights is too high. Might also make sense to stay away from low frequency PWM shining into patient eyes.

4Sevens Quark AA
Zebralight SC80
Sunwayman V10A
Jetbeam RRT0 w/AA extender

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Preon 2, HCRI!
$49 with Ti head and tail, black body
$45 all black.
Fits the chestpocket on the coat perfectly.
The low is good for checking eyes and then he will have medium and hi when he needs a little more power.
I use mine several times every day for short moments, mostly on low.
It goes about 3-4 month between charges.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like every doctor who has ever examined my eyes has had a penlight style flashlight of some kind. In fact, the last time my eyes were examined for pupillary light reflex the good doctor had a (2)AAA incan MagLite.
So how about a 4Sevens High CRI Preon 2? (perhaps with the optional tail clicky) It would be a familiar shape and size to any physician, more elegant than "tactical" in appearance, and the High CRI index and brighter outputs would be useful for other types of exams, say, looking at tonsils. The lowest setting is 2 lumens but I imagine that would be far dimmer than any incan penlight that I've ever had pointed in my eyes and it seems to me that many doctors bring the light in from below until they elicit the desired pupillary light reflex anyway. In fact, it is even possible that 2 lumens would not be bright enough for this exam. (An actual physician might enlighten us about the finer points of performing this exam.)

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the Preon suggestion. Stick with Titanium. Not just classier looking but more durable and easier to keep clean. It won't look bad from annodizing wearing out over the years.

notrefined

Enlightened
If he's office-based, a low of ~15 or so lumens is adequate. If he's ER/OR/ICU, don't worry about it- 200 or so lumens won't cause any permanent damage. In fact, in the OR, 15 lumens is often totally inadequate to induce pupillary constriction beyond that caused by the already bright overheads. I don't feel bad using my 200 lumen EDC knowing that most others use the much brighter operating lights for the same purpose.

Samy

Enlightened
I have a Preon2 in neutral tint. It would be a great light for someone in the medical profession.

Cheers

Sachin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. My brother being a nonFlashaholic I think the 'Clicky' flashlight is best option for him. Preon 2 fits perfectly in this criteria. It is little expensive, but its a worthwhile gift.

For Preon 2 I liked that 'Low' mode is first in sequence of different modes possible.

I have ordered one form GoingGear - a High CRI model. Thanks all for your suggestions.

HIDblue

Enlightened
He should love the Preon 2 High CRI...great little pen light in an easy to use 2xAAA form factor and it always comes on in low mode.

Natty Bumppo

Newly Enlightened
i am a doctor and carry the preon 2. low is great for pupils and high is like a mini OR light. I will get a nurse to hold the light while i suture, trim, debride ect. cant go wrong.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
What they said. Preon 2 HiCRI

I have given two Preon 2's (R5's) to my doctors and both docs are in love with the lights. They tell me that other docs in the hospital ask about the lights virtually every time they use them. The HCRI may be better for a doctor than the R5 emitter (I'm not sure on this issue). But the Preon 2 form factor cannot be beat IMHO. Fits right in shirt pocket like a Bic pen.

-

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I would like to gift a small EDC light to my brother who is a doctor. The points he is concerned about if the light is to be useful to him are
  • It should have a low light mode (for shining in patients eyes to check pupil dialation wihout causing discomfort). I am not sure how much should be the minimum lumens but I guess less than 1 lumen.
  • It should be as close to daylight colours or yellow glow of a tungsten filament conventional lamps. I think this is difficult condition for most of the modern LED EDC lights.
My own condition is that the light should have high modes too, to be useful in case of emergency.

I have following lights in mind
  • New 4Sevens Preon P0 (minimum of 0.24 lumens) - very compact light.
  • Thrunite 1A (Minimum of 0.09 lumens) - little bulkier as works on AA.
Looking only for AAA or AA battery lights. Do let me know if there are other lights which I can consider.

+1 preon 2, very stylish, good to hang from pocket of doctor's jacket.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think High CRI is a must, so that only leaves 2 good options. The Preon 2AAA, or find a high CRI Peak Eiger (nichia) a which was a limited run option offered by Oveready, and get a 2xAAA body. I do have a feeling he will offer some again soon though....

My preference would be the Peak, but the Preon may be easier to find.

Edit: I just checked RMSK and the Eiger High CRI is available. The color temperature of the XP-Gs is not as high as the Nichias, but CRI is about the same.

Last edited:

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is a bit old, but I think a neutral white tint is super-important for doctors, they need to see more natural colors when checking if anything has a different color that normal (in mouth, in eyes, lips, even during surgeries ... more cool white makes tissue look more pale and that is not good. I see a lot of colleagues vets using cool white head-lamps while performing surgeries, I always recommend something with more neutral tint. (e.g. Fenix HL50/55)

eieiou22

Newly Enlightened
What type of doctor is he? I think my opinion of suitable lights may vary depending on the answer ...

dss_777

Enlightened
Welch Allyn now makes plenty of exam and procedure lights using LEDs. Given how many (if not most) of their medical work lights are LED, somehow the "true color rendition" of their Halogen and Xenon lighting products doesn't seem quite as important a selling point anymore.