Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight

Thread: Best- Most Reliable: aaa flashlight. ..?

Default Best- Most Reliable: aaa flashlight. ..?

Just curious: I ordered a thrunite-ti and itp a03 ITP A03.

Default Re: Best- Most Reliable: aaa flashlight. ..?

Someone asked a very similar question a few weeks ago, it might be worth a search of the forums for it. My vote then went for the Fenix LD01 but I recall the Thrunite Ti got a few supporters as well, also ARC.

Personally I think you can't really go wrong with any of the Fenix AAA lights, which one depends on what brightness you want and what sort of runtime, number of modes, etc. I have all 3 (LD01, E01 and E05) and find them all very useful, E01 on my keychain, E05 on nightstand and LD01 for EDC.

Flashaholic

Stainless Steel Fenix LD01.. it is a tank with very smooth threads.

Flashaholic*

Best - depends on your personal definition.

Most reliable - lots of people swear by the Fenix E01.
    WTB Any Brand locking pliers multitool, Kershaw Bit Kit, leather sheath

Quote Originally Posted by edpmis02 View Post
    Stainless Steel Fenix LD01.. it is a tank with very smooth threads.
    it *is* a tank. very heavy one.

have you ever dropped it? i think that the glass lens, PCB or soldering break more easily in the SS than in the R4 alu version!!

Got to be the E01. It is bombproof!XD

There was a recent member whose Ti lost its moonlight mode since the small metal below the head was broken IIRC

Flashaholic*

I have to go with the Fenix E01 or E05. The LD01 Stainless is built like a tank, but the multiple modes make it more vulnerable to failure. I have had some serious quality control issues with my two Thrunite Ti lights...I would't say they are reliable.

Coincidentally I just ordered myself a Fenix E05 last night. But of course I won't be able to speak to its reliability until I've owned and used it for a good while. But based on tons of research, I selected it for my AAA choice (no pun intended) because if fit my current want for a teenie, tiny light built to today's standards (waterproof to ipx-8 standard, type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish, aircraft or aerospace grade aluminum and CREE LED).

But even more specifically to the E05, I wanted the super simple one mode operation and the softer, wider flood beam it offers combined with a medium to low output for more personal, up close uses and a decent run time - while fighting back the urge to go for the most powerful and brightest single AAA light with a loooonnnnng throw, multiple modes and a kitchen sink installed, etc.

But without being able to personally vouch for the E05 from experience, I will say that the myriad of reviews I've read, Youtube video reviews I've watched and other general information perused pertaining to the E05.... that it would be an incredibly safe bet to go with. Here's a great review in the CPF for that matter!

Writing about it makes me want mine now! Hurry up USPS.
    EagleTac D25C S2; P20A2 MKII S2; P100C2 Q5; Fenix TK21 U2; LD01 R4; E05 R2; E01
    JETBeam BC10 R5; Romisen RC-G2 II NW; RC-T601 II U2; Inova X5
    Xeno E03; Zebralight SC600; Crelant 7G5-V2 U2; 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123^2 R5

Flashaholic*

I think "best" needs to be defined by you, as there are too many variables.

Most reliable, there are some that seem to have only one potential area that can stop the light from working, and that's the battery.

I'd go for a Peak Eiger, an Arc, or a Fenix E01.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

The current Eiger with QTC is pretty flaky and is pretty hard to get. Peak Customer service is non-existant but their vendors do a pretty good job.

The single mode 5mm 11lm light like the Arc and E01 are proven reliable lights, but kinda suck with their one mode, ringy, purple beams.

I put the Fenix LD01 as the most reliable of the multi-mode higher output AAA lights, the SS one is now hard to find. I carry a discontinued Revo and or a Klarus MiX6 and they have been problem free so far but some have reported problems with the spring plate thingy.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

I wonder if the Mako AAA might fit into the category of most reliable AAA light based on coyote's thread. The last run only had 75 pieces so it might be difficult to get now being essentially a custom light. For a more generally available light I would go with the Fenix E01

Flashaholic

No matter what you have.. Keep the threads cleaned and lubed and the internal battery contacts clean of any residue.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry999 View Post
    I wonder if the Mako AAA might fit into the category of most reliable AAA light based on coyote's thread. The last run only had 75 pieces so it might be difficult to get now being essentially a custom light. For a more generally available light I would go with the Fenix E01
    I love the Mako AAA Flood and wish I could vote for it but it is so new it hasn't proven itself yet. But looking at the construction I am sure it is real reliable.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

I'll cast another vote for the LD01. I have both the SS and aluminum versions and have used both a lot. Each has proven durable and dependable and I like the three levels. I'm not a big fan of twisties, but since I carry them on key rings it is probably the most suitable option. I would like to try out a Peak but I haven't yet gotten around to getting one.

Harry999: i agree. and also believe the E01 is the most reliable of the inexpensive models.

pjandyho: while your Mako Flood is brand new, the original Mako and Mako 60 that use the same design have been around since 2007. they have proven themselves to me, time after time, having owned and EDC'ed a good number of them.

anyone wishing to read the Mako thread that Harry999 mentioned can view it here
    Last edited by coyote; 04-12-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Flashaholic*

For me, it's the E05.

I realize that most people say the E01, but I don't think the E01 passes the most minimal qualifications for a light.
    So, I moved to the next higher step, the E05, which I prefer greatly for actually lighting things up, and it has never failed me.

The Maratac AAA series in Stainless is bombproof. I can't say the same about the Aluminum versions having dropped an AL AAA on tile from about 3', and being surprised to see the head had snapped clean off above the threads:

Last I heard the Maratac lights are manufactured by ITP.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    For me, it's the E05.

I realize that most people say the E01, but I don't think the E01 passes the most minimal qualifications for a light.
    So, I moved to the next higher step, the E05, which I prefer greatly for actually lighting things up, and it has never failed me.
    Well said twl!

twl,

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have the E01 and the E05 and the flood beam of the E05 is better. However, having carried out the steel wool polish mod of the stock E01 I prefer the E01 because of the longer runtime that might be required in an emergency. The steel wool makes the E01 beam floodier and also removes the ugly purple tint.

Also given Scout24's testing of the E01 I have more confidence in the E01. Don't get me wrong - I like the E05 and keep it with my EDC diabetic and first aid equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    For me, it's the E05.

i agree with what Harry999 said about the E01 and E05.

i have a number of both, and while i prefer the E05's size, beam tint/angle and brightness, i think Scout24's testing proved the E01 as the tougher model, not to mention having a much longer runtime.

and i too wooled my E01s making their beam quite a bit nicer.

there is a place for both, but the E01 is likely more reliable, as the title of this thread is asking.

Flashaholic*

My Al LD01 occasionally doesn't go to the mode I expect (it's like I'll occasionally double-twist due to jerky hand motions or rough threads - perhaps it's time to clean and lube it), but it hasn't failed to light when the battery is good.
    My SS and Cu Maratac AAA's (same design as the IPT A3 and Olight i3) occasionally fail to come on, or will come on briefly, then go out. Once in a while, they don't switch modes. I'll crank the head down, and they'll stay on. Also, if I twist 'em "Off" lightly, I can still press the head to the tail and get them to turn on. I haven't tried the Al versions. Gave a purple A3 to my niece, and she's very happy with it.
    I think the Maratac's are tough, and it will take a lot to break them, but they're not what I consider most reliable. Though I do love their compactness and brightness and will never part with them.
    My Ti has not yet failed to function as expected, but I haven't had it long enough or used it often enough to be a reliable gauge. I have seen a couple threads questioning the long-term dependability of the tab. But I'm going to get another anyway.
    I gave away my only Preon1. My Preon2 in "twisty" configuration came on unexpectedly in my pocket, twice.
    I guess I prefer the solidity of a switch press to the uncertainty of all this twisting.

Said Preon2, now with improved Zodiac-modified Ti tailcap, has never let me down. And I've used it enough to go through a few sets of batteries. For reliable AAA, that gets my vote by far.
    The modified clicky fits the 1 as well, if you're looking for single AAA. But you'll need to get creative if you want to hook it to your keychain.

(If I really need Reliable, I'll grab my Groovy!, or a Surefire with a Malkoff. I expect my upcoming HDS will fall into this category, as well. But those are far from AAA.)
    Good luck!

- Tom

Flashaholic*

Yes the Eiger's QTC can be a bit finicky, and not smooth ramping, but it will always work.

Every one of my AAA lights except the Peaks has failed at some point, sometimes just with some cleaning needed, but failed when needed.

Small AA is another story. I have a very well used first run neutral Quark MiNi (almost AAA sized) that I have never had a problem with.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

The tint issues with the E01 can be fixed with a mod of the LED - although it is a pain and likely reduces some of the reliability (but I did re-pot the head). http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...in-5000K-90CRI

I also think the E01 is very reliable, but I have to nod my head towards the Arc, Sapphire, Peak Eiger family of lights - which are all compatible. I have a Mako too and it is in the same reliability camp. The Peak Eiger heads need to be used with regular bodies (or QTC bodies with the pill removed) for ultimate reliability. The Peak heads are rock solid.

I do like the head on the McGizmo Sapphire - very tough as well and I trust the sapphire lens more than a plastic LED head. I wear my high CRI Sapphire on a Peak body and it just works every time:

eala

Flashaholic

[QUOTE=cave dave;3921487.

I put the Fenix LD01 as the most reliable of the multi-mode higher output AAA lights, the SS one is now hard to find. I carry a discontinued Revo and or a Klarus MiX6 and they have been problem free so far but some have reported problems with the spring plate thingy.[/QUOTE]

I have the LDO1. Great. I have now had the Klarus (Gold) MIX6 for 6 MO. There was concern by some that the gold would not hold and the neg prongs would flatten crushing the batts. The gold on mine is as new,the neg prongs will not flatten as it is designed that when tighten fully it does not bottom out. IOW"S, when fully cranked down the batt will not push down, by design, far enough (not on mine) to flatten the prongs. My 10 year old GD fully cranked (it has happened more than once) the head down TIGHT and with a bore light the prongs are still fully standing up as they should be. The modes are spaced nicely, and the beam is a beautiful flood of perfect light. Run times are very good. there is not a thing I do not like about the light. Someone complained about it having a blink mode but you never have to see it as it defaults on med. Most all the lights noted are great lights but I will take the MIX6 any day! It is also a classy light.

Keith
    Last edited by budynabuick; 04-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.

I would second McGizmo & Peak (and that "lego" looks great!) .... Photon Fanatic in DLC seems rather tough too
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

I don't own any high end ones like Peak (on my to do list though) but from my small collection, the E01 seems to be the most reliable. I'd put the Streamlight Microstream up there too. I know everyone hates the stiff switch but I actually like it. I've never owned the A3 but the replacement, the I3 seems pretty bullet proof. I have a couple other cheap 5mm lights like the SWM R01A and the Nitecore T0, but they don't give me the same feeling of robustness that the E01 does. Neither does the Ti, though I think it might be my favorite night stand light of all time. But just going strictly by reliability (or appearance of at least) from the ones I've seen so far, that would be the E01.

I sent a Ranger off with an EO5, it's seen three tours in Afghanistan so far and still working as it should! I've carried an EO1 in my pocket for the last 3-4 years, still on the same lithium battery! I have another EO1 in the storm shelter, unused other to check function. I TRUST these lights!
    I really think you will be hard pressed to find a better platform than these lights! I've heard horror stories of what some Arc lights went through and still worked, I've no doubt this series of lights would perform the same as well!
    My Mags aren't very impressive anymore!

Enlightened

Got myself an E05 & E15 today to replace my Photon keychain light. I must say they are quite a big improvement in terms of output and the quality of the light as compared to my diminutive photon. I like the E05 better than the E15. Smaller and utilizes AAA battery. Its a winner!
    Fenix, Spark, Xeno, Zebralight, Sunwayman
    4Sevens, ThruNite, JETBeam, Klarus, Eagletac

Unenlightened

For me its Fenix E01.. That's for sure..

Flashaholic

Get the E01 /LD01 double pack. Its like $35-$40. Two is better than one.