Best- Most Reliable: aaa flashlight. ..?

davecroft

Enlightened
Someone asked a very similar question a few weeks ago, it might be worth a search of the forums for it. My vote then went for the Fenix LD01 but I recall the Thrunite Ti got a few supporters as well, also ARC.

Personally I think you can't really go wrong with any of the Fenix AAA lights, which one depends on what brightness you want and what sort of runtime, number of modes, etc. I have all 3 (LD01, E01 and E05) and find them all very useful, E01 on my keychain, E05 on nightstand and LD01 for EDC.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stainless Steel Fenix LD01.. it is a tank with very smooth threads.
it *is* a tank. very heavy one.

have you ever dropped it? i think that the glass lens, PCB or soldering break more easily in the SS than in the R4 alu version!!

ico

Enlightened
Got to be the E01. It is bombproof!XD

There was a recent member whose Ti lost its moonlight mode since the small metal below the head was broken IIRC

thaugen

Enlightened
I have to go with the Fenix E01 or E05. The LD01 Stainless is built like a tank, but the multiple modes make it more vulnerable to failure. I have had some serious quality control issues with my two Thrunite Ti lights...I would't say they are reliable.

zenbeam

Enlightened
Coincidentally I just ordered myself a Fenix E05 last night. But of course I won't be able to speak to its reliability until I've owned and used it for a good while. But based on tons of research, I selected it for my AAA choice (no pun intended) because if fit my current want for a teenie, tiny light built to today's standards (waterproof to ipx-8 standard, type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish, aircraft or aerospace grade aluminum and CREE LED).

But even more specifically to the E05, I wanted the super simple one mode operation and the softer, wider flood beam it offers combined with a medium to low output for more personal, up close uses and a decent run time - while fighting back the urge to go for the most powerful and brightest single AAA light with a loooonnnnng throw, multiple modes and a kitchen sink installed, etc.

But without being able to personally vouch for the E05 from experience, I will say that the myriad of reviews I've read, Youtube video reviews I've watched and other general information perused pertaining to the E05.... that it would be an incredibly safe bet to go with. Here's a great review in the CPF for that matter!

Writing about it makes me want mine now! Hurry up USPS. :devil:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think "best" needs to be defined by you, as there are too many variables.

Most reliable, there are some that seem to have only one potential area that can stop the light from working, and that's the battery.

I'd go for a Peak Eiger, an Arc, or a Fenix E01.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current Eiger with QTC is pretty flaky and is pretty hard to get. Peak Customer service is non-existant but their vendors do a pretty good job.

The single mode 5mm 11lm light like the Arc and E01 are proven reliable lights, but kinda suck with their one mode, ringy, purple beams.

I put the Fenix LD01 as the most reliable of the multi-mode higher output AAA lights, the SS one is now hard to find. I carry a discontinued Revo and or a Klarus MiX6 and they have been problem free so far but some have reported problems with the spring plate thingy.

Harry999

Enlightened
I wonder if the Mako AAA might fit into the category of most reliable AAA light based on coyote's thread. The last run only had 75 pieces so it might be difficult to get now being essentially a custom light. For a more generally available light I would go with the Fenix E01

edpmis02

Enlightened
No matter what you have.. Keep the threads cleaned and lubed and the internal battery contacts clean of any residue.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the Mako AAA might fit into the category of most reliable AAA light based on coyote's thread. The last run only had 75 pieces so it might be difficult to get now being essentially a custom light. For a more generally available light I would go with the Fenix E01
I love the Mako AAA Flood and wish I could vote for it but it is so new it hasn't proven itself yet. But looking at the construction I am sure it is real reliable.

Lighteous

Enlightened
I'll cast another vote for the LD01. I have both the SS and aluminum versions and have used both a lot. Each has proven durable and dependable and I like the three levels. I'm not a big fan of twisties, but since I carry them on key rings it is probably the most suitable option. I would like to try out a Peak but I haven't yet gotten around to getting one.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harry999: i agree. and also believe the E01 is the most reliable of the inexpensive models.

pjandyho: while your Mako Flood is brand new, the original Mako and Mako 60 that use the same design have been around since 2007. they have proven themselves to me, time after time, having owned and EDC'ed a good number of them.

anyone wishing to read the Mako thread that Harry999 mentioned can view it here

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it's the E05.

I realize that most people say the E01, but I don't think the E01 passes the most minimal qualifications for a light.
So, I moved to the next higher step, the E05, which I prefer greatly for actually lighting things up, and it has never failed me.

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
The Maratac AAA series in Stainless is bombproof. I can't say the same about the Aluminum versions having dropped an AL AAA on tile from about 3', and being surprised to see the head had snapped clean off above the threads:

43315502-f105-f731.jpg

Last I heard the Maratac lights are manufactured by ITP.

thaugen

Enlightened
For me, it's the E05.

I realize that most people say the E01, but I don't think the E01 passes the most minimal qualifications for a light.
So, I moved to the next higher step, the E05, which I prefer greatly for actually lighting things up, and it has never failed me.

Well said twl!

Harry999

Enlightened
twl,

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have the E01 and the E05 and the flood beam of the E05 is better. However, having carried out the steel wool polish mod of the stock E01 I prefer the E01 because of the longer runtime that might be required in an emergency. The steel wool makes the E01 beam floodier and also removes the ugly purple tint.

Also given Scout24's testing of the E01 I have more confidence in the E01. Don't get me wrong - I like the E05 and keep it with my EDC diabetic and first aid equipment.

For me, it's the E05.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree with what Harry999 said about the E01 and E05.

i have a number of both, and while i prefer the E05's size, beam tint/angle and brightness, i think Scout24's testing proved the E01 as the tougher model, not to mention having a much longer runtime.

and i too wooled my E01s making their beam quite a bit nicer.

there is a place for both, but the E01 is likely more reliable, as the title of this thread is asking.