Phoenix Electroforms
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Jetbeam tcr 01 is out

Default Re: Jetbeam tcr 01 is out

The RRT-01 and the TCR-01 both have ball bearing detents in both the off position, and also in the maximum turbo position, from what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by peterharvey73 View Post
    The RRT-01 and the TCR-01 both have ball bearing detents in both the off position, and also in the maximum turbo position, from what I know.
    Correct.

I have both lights and both the RRT-01 and TCR-01 have ball-bearing detentes at the off and max positions.

I think the detents on the RRT-01 feel a bit more locked in place. The ones on my TCR-01 are there but its a very subtle lock up.

Interesting, the ones on my TCR-01 are definitely subtle.

• Mobile post

Enlightened

I just picked up a TCR1, 324 out of 1000. I bought the intelli-charger with it and the CPF discount worked at LightJunction, yea ! I saved like $26 ! I was able to add a small key ring to the back and still tuck it into the crater, so, the flashlight tailstands perfectly... It fits snug inside the light, and you just yank it out when you want to hang the light in your tent, etc.... I have a bunch of clips that I use, so, it is great that you can add a key ring and still get a nice tail stand... cool... the light is working great... My clip rests on the body of the light, not the control ring.. It starts curving up before it gets to the control ring... I like the clip.. I am running AW IMR 18350 batteries and it seems the light was made for these batteries.. They work great... My tint is nice... very neutral, more towards warm, then cool... Check pic for key ring... It seems like a very well made light... I was able to turn my bezel with my hand, so, changing LEDs should be easy... Note: I am strong and it was tight, but, I was able to unscrew it..

Update: I got a chance to spend some time with the TCR1... The user interface magnetic ring is awesome... I did some normal camping tasks with it, and I found that I was intuitively adjusting the light as I changed distances to my desired object... It is so cool, you are constantly changing light output instantly to suit your need... I was definitely saving juice from my normal "med" mode.. I think this user interface is going to save lots of battery time... It is also nice to always have your eyes seeing the optimal amount of light for the distance you are viewing... I am running AW IMR 18350 and it is super bright.. It is floody, more than I thought, it is a wall of light... I compared it to my Fenix PD10ti Titan and the beam of the Titan is tighter (XPG-R5 premium).. With the IMR 18350 cell the TCR1 seems about double the brightness of the Titan, but with a surefire primary cell, it is just a little brighter. Interestingly, I dialed in the TCR1 with the IMR 18350 battery at the same level as the Titan on high (surefire primary battery), about 216 lumen... I ran them like that for a few minutes... the Titan was very hot, while the TCR1 was not even warm, it was room temperature, I mean, it seams like you can run it on 200 lumens all day long... I though that was great ! I guess the Titan is pretty overdriven at 216 lumens... It puts out some serious heat.. As for the TCR1, if you run it at full blast with a newly charged 18350 IMR battery, and grip it in your fist , within 3 minutes, it will be so hot that you will have to switch hands, but, when you switch hands, it will not seem that hot.. I think it is putting out every bit of 500 lumens. You cannot beat the magnetic ring interface, it is so fun and intuitive.. The low, lows are also very useful, especially when getting around when someone is sleeping or map reading etc... The low, lows are really very useful... I really like this light, I cannot even pick up my other twisties...

Note: I did get thrown by one thing... Most of my lights are twisties, so, I twist from right to left to turn them on... The TCR1 is turned on the opposite way... Tonight, on a walk, I went to light up an owl that was flying by and I instinctively turned the ring on the TCR1 the wrong way, actually , twice, before I recovered and turned it the right way... by then, I only caught the rear of the owl, instead of the wingspan... I have to break that habit... If you turn the bezel correctly, you can go to instant on full blast just as fast as a one click clicky. You can turn the ring extremely fast !

Note2: To free both hands while camping, I frequently put my small lights in my mouth.. The TCR1 has a nice thick ring notched in the body about 10 mm from the back.. This allows you to hook your front teeth in there and hold the light during critical tasks... This is about the biggest light you can put in your mouth, so, having that notched ring that you can hook your teeth into will make it much safer and comfortable...

Note3: It is easy to tell when the 18350 batteries are losing power.. You have to move the ring a little more to get the TCR1 to turn on, and the brightness stops getting brighter on the top end when you are moving the ring the last few mm to full blast... when you see that happening, you pop in a new battery, no need to wait for the electronics to kick in... This will also save your batteries and you get them out at a safe voltage...
    Last edited by hjdca; 09-12-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

I love this light! It is one of my most used . I don't think I've posted any pics of mine . . . Here it is with some of its friends!

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Nice Trits!

Boy, don't want to say that one wrong.

Barry over at PrecisionWorks is going to do some work on a Haiku for me. After that I think I'll get him to do some stuff on my TCR1. I've already got a few trits down in the tail area so it would be nice to compliment them a bit.

Nice looking family! I like the trits you added to the TCR1.
    Here is a list of my lights.

I'm a complete flashlight newbie and don't have any idea about the technical stuff. I have one of these TCR-1s and it's an incredible light. I love the adjustability of intensity, the waterproof and shockproof capability and styling.

I also own 3 TCR-2s. Again, I'm very pleased with that model, too.

They came in handy for the family when we lost power for several days.

Since yesterday I've once again started carrying my neutral modded TC-R1 and with it's ultra-low, and floody beam I'm sure looking forward to using it this winter.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

A sad day for my broken TC-R1 which was sent back to JetBeam for repair. I received the following information via email from the parent company SysMax Industry.

- I am told they cannot repair my TC-R1 and I ask why in return since it is just a driver swap.
    - They reply that they do not make the light. They are only a distributor for the USA market.
    - The factory broke their contract and refuse to do warranty work or provide supply.
    - They are trying to satisfy their customers and offering reprieve through the NiteCore line-up.

So - if anyone is wondering why the TC-R1 and the RRT-01 are now discontinued in the US market, there you go......

UGH - I don't really want a POS Nitecore light as a replacement for my TCR1.
    Last edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond; 08-29-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Ugh. That is horrible news! It explains a few things but in a bad way.

Why do I have that bad feeling that the whole Jetbeam brand is going to disappear and we will be left with Nitecore and Niteye.

Quote Originally Posted by aau007 View Post
    Why do I have that bad feeling that the whole Jetbeam brand is going to disappear and we will be left with Nitecore and Niteye.
    That would be a real shame because the JetBeam lights are the best out of those three brands mentioned.

I thought I read somewhere that Jetbeam are being sued by SF. If that's the case, shutting down the Jetbeam brand would leave SF nothing to sue at.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    That would be a real shame because the JetBeam lights are the best out of those three brands mentioned.
    But I guess that´s the way it´s going to turn out. The german/european distributor mentioned that originaly two guys founded the jetbeam brand. Each one also owning his own brand, one nitecore, the other niteye. They apparently have fallen out with each other which led to the jetbeam, niteye, nitecore problem we are (mostly) aware of now. According to the european/german distributor Sysmax held the rights for the european/german market. Therefor jetbeam will not be available in germany (if not in europe - don´t remember exactly) anymore. I assume it´s the same problem with the US market.

Eric

Maybe we'll be able to buy them through Chinese websites.....

Flashaholic*

That's bad news. I'm more and more inclined to just go for Fenix lights and maybe one day for 4sevens if I really have the need.

Glad I stocked up on spare parts while I had the chance. This is exactly what I was afraid would happen when people started forming a lynch mob regarding the Cool Fall ripoff. It wasn't enough to just not buy that one product, they had to boycott the entire company and everyone affiliated with it. This is a predictable result of that kind of behavior.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 08-30-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Flashaholic*

I don't see any problems with stop buying products from a specific manufacturer if you are unhappy with unhappy with any of their policies, services, or products or business practices in general.

Not buying from a reseller just because they stock flashlights from a specific manufacturer is another story - I find that unfair as I see it as shooting at someone just because he/she got caught in the cross-fire. Still I have no right to tell people how, where or what to spend their money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador72 View Post
    I don't see any problems with stop buying products from a specific manufacturer if you are unhappy with unhappy with any of their policies, services, or products or business practices in general.

Not buying from a reseller just because they stock flashlights from a specific manufacturer is another story - I find that unfair as I see it as shooting at someone just because he/she got caught in the cross-fire. Still I have no right to tell people how, where or what to spend their money on.
    I see this as the same reasons why some people go out and protest/boycott a restaurant just because the restaurant choose to sell a certain dish and some interest group is against the dish. They are against a particular product for sale but they go and punish the business selling it.

When did people start buying $180 pocket flashlights? It looks like a nice light, but it is still a flashlight! Boy, I must be getting old...
    Last edited by cancow; 08-30-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cancow View Post
    When did people start buying $180 pocket flashlights? It looks like a nice light, but it is still a flashlight! Boy, I must be getting old...
    Um, some HDS models were going for that much, or more, when I joined CPF in 2006...
    Carpe noctem

Quote Originally Posted by cancow View Post
    I dunno, when did people start buying $500 telephones that could surf the internet and play movies? When they decided those features were worth the money, I guess.

The TC-R1 has a strong titanium shell, voltage regulation, and infinitely-adjustable brightness. These features cost money. You should try one, it's very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    A sad day for my broken TC-R1 which was sent back to JetBeam for repair. I received the following information via email from the parent company SysMax Industry.

- I am told they cannot repair my TC-R1 and I ask why in return since it is just a driver swap.
    - They reply that they do not make the light. They are only a distributor for the USA market.
    - The factory broke their contract and refuse to do warranty work or provide supply.
    - They are trying to satisfy their customers and offering reprieve through the NiteCore line-up.

So - if anyone is wondering why the TC-R1 and the RRT-01 are now discontinued in the US market, there you go......

UGH - I don't really want a POS Nitecore light as a replacement for my TCR1.
    I apologize to those i am about to offend!
    Damm IT! Damm IT! Damm IT!
    I dont care about jet beam however every Chinese company can do this and we have no recourse.
    We are at there mercy if there products are what we continue to buy.
    Union Proud IBEW Local 683

Enlightened

What is going on? Why is Jetbeam having these problems ? Did they do something wrong with their lights?

Jetbeam's sibling company Niteye ripped-off Cool Fall's SPY design, and in the ensuing backlash a significant portion of CPF swore they'd never buy the parent company's products ever again. Also, lots of probing questions were asked, and it was discovered that the various companies involved didn't really agree amongst themselves about who owned the designs Jetbeam and Niteye use; this has caused some rather severe legal problems and now there's speculation that one or both brands might disappear.

Enlightened

Thumbs up Re: Jetbeam tcr 01 is out

Too bad about Jetbeam.... To cheer things up, here are some pics of my TCR1 with Mohanjude custom made extension tubes.. Thanks Mohanjude !! One tube extension for a 18500 battery and add another tube extension for a 18650 battery... I only need one set of trits... So far, I like the feel of the 18500 setup for EDC... but, the 18650 give some awesome run times... ENJOY !!

Last edited by hjdca; 09-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Can somebody post a tutorial on how to change the emitters on one of these? Thanks in advance.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by SPNKr View Post
    Can somebody post a tutorial on how to change the emitters on one of these? Thanks in advance.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3932139

I have not changed my emitter yet, but, I have changed a few (one on my draco) and this one seem easy... According to the pic above, you only have to unscrew the bezel, remove the glass and reflector and cover, then, you will see the LED star... This is a separate compartment from the light engine and there are two wires coming through the LED compartment that hook it up the light engine to the LED star... So, all you do is un-solder the wires on the star and pull the star out.. Once you have the star out, you can unsolder the LED by using a hot plate... You can see the process on you tube.. Or you can use a premade star with an LED that matches in size... You might have to grind the star to match the Jetbeam star size... There is probably also some thermal paste under the star to help with heat... Note: Because it has a separate compartment for the LED and Star, the TCR1 looks easy to upgrade.