Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard had lights? Does anyone make one? (not a miners light though)

Default Hard had lights? Does anyone make one? (not a miners light though)

I've been looking for a light to mount on my hard hat, something light and bright.
    I'm not looking for something that is my only light source, like what a miner would wear. I'm an electrician, so sometimes need to do work in the dark. Be it above a ceiling, or just in a way where the main light is blocked by myself, or the times where the power is out and I have to work on something.

I've always figured there should be a light that mounts in the ear tabs holes on the hard had, but can not find anything. I've tried like most do and just put a normal head lamp on the hard had, but it's never aimed right and doesn't stay put.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I carry a stream light stylus pro right now, and it's great, nice and bright, battery lasts a long time, and it has taken some serious abuse, but zip tieing it to my hard hat is far from optimal.

Thanks.

Default Re: Hard had lights? Does anyone make one? (not a miners light though)

Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

Firemen and military use helmet-attachable lights. Foxfury lights, and the SureFire military helmet light come to mind.

I attach Zebralights and Sparks to my hard hats just using the elastic band, and they stay put just fine.

There's also a strap retainer for hard hats, maybe someone will post it.

What do you mean by a "hard had?" I'm not familiar with that phrase.
    Last edited by Bolster; 04-10-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Maybe a Lupine? they have different models, I think this one is the cheapest

Take a look at the Pelican 2710 and the 2720. The oil and ship workers love these.

outrider

Flashaholic*

Streamlight also has headlamps. Many of them come with an elastic head strap and a rubber hard hat strap which works quite well, even in wet weather. The Utility company I work for issues them and most of my co-workers like them. Depending on what model you get, cost is about twentyfive to thirtyfive dollars.
    Last edited by LGT; 04-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Flashaholic*

usually ANY flashlight with a rear-facing clip, or reversible clip

you can then attach the light to the straps or lid
    posted by jh333233
    Dont cheat me, im expert in using crap light

Quote Originally Posted by Bolster View Post

What do you mean by a "hard had?" I'm not familiar with that phrase.
    Sorry I should have been more specific.
    Construction hard hat.

You can see the little tab holes, they make ear muffs and face shields that clip into them. Figure there had to be a light that mounts into these clips.

The military and firefighter lights don't work because of the shape of the hard hard.
    the normal head band lights just put over the hard hat never seem to put the light in the right spot, and I have no way of adjusting without jamming something behind the light.

I'll second the Streamlight choice as they include an rubber strap intended to be used with hard shell hats.

I will agree with the Stream light also. How ever I wear a full brim hard hat and found it was a stretch of the supplied bands to stay put. I ended up removing the rubber pad from the light and added Velcro to it and have not looked back.

Any old headlamp with a 1" strap and 4 hooks from Petzl:
    PETZL - E04350 - HELMET CLIPS, HEAD LAMPS
    Manufacturer:
    PETZL
    Manufacturer Part No:
    E04350

Quote Originally Posted by borrower View Post
    Manufacturer:
    PETZL
    Manufacturer Part No:
    E04350
    Ah, excellent, that's what they are. Thank you.

Also on Amazon called "Petzl Bike Helmet Clips Petzl"

I don't have any experience with the ones on Amazon described above that you seem to form into hooks... anyone with experience to say how solid these are? (The ones I mentioned have permanent hooks that should catch the rims of most hard hats.)

What stream light head band? They seem to have several.

Quote Originally Posted by borrower View Post
    Any old headlamp with a 1" strap and 4 hooks from Petzl:
    PETZL - E04350 - HELMET CLIPS, HEAD LAMPS
    Manufacturer:
    PETZL
    Manufacturer Part No:
    E04350
    I am not sure I understand these.

Streamlight made hardhat light holders for poly-pro and mini-mag lights.Got mine from Bright Guy years ago.He may be able to help you out.

I used the streamlight rubber strap with the eagletac p20 on my wildland fire hard hat, worked great

http://www.botachtactical.com/struhestforf.html

I just used my ZLH51 - my jack of all traits. Depending on how long the rim sticks out though it may be in the way for close up work. My hard hat has an extended bill and the ZL still works, but the beam starts a couple feet in front of you which is fine for my work. If I flip the face shield up, the beam isnt obstructed at all.

I'm curious, How much can you drill or cut one of these hard hats before the hat's intended purpose is dramatically diminished. I know some people/companies drill theirs and add all sorts of gizmos so they must retain some degree of their intended protection.

The reason I ask is if you can cut two vertical slots in the front about 2 or 3 inches apart, then you could mount any headlamp you like. Just remove the stock headband and replace with a length of double sided Velcro. Loop that through the hat and secure. This is what I do for bicycle helmets and the lights remain secure with full adjust-ability. Of course the big difference here is bicycle helmets have built in vents. But if you can cut a couple of slots, You may want to consider this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicycleflyer View Post
    I'm curious, How much can you drill or cut one of these hard hats before the hat's intended purpose is dramatically diminished. I know some people/companies drill theirs and add all sorts of gizmos so they must retain some degree of their intended protection.

The reason I ask is if you can cut two vertical slots in the front about 2 or 3 inches apart, then you could mount any headlamp you like. Just remove the stock headband and replace with a length of double sided Velcro. Loop that through the hat and secure. This is what I do for bicycle helmets and the lights remain secure with full adjust-ability. Of course the big difference here is bicycle helmets have built in vents. But if you can cut a couple of slots, You may want to consider this approach.

You can not cut, drill, paint, or modify the hard had in any way, shape, or form. You can not even legally put stickers on it, although that one is often allowed to slide.

Found this

Exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah for a job that follows OSHA rules then yeah you cant do anything to alter the hard hat. I wear my hard hat for personal (no one else even wears any PPE) use so I'm not to concerned abotu OSHA rules, but have no intention of altering it anyhow.

Those light holders should work great, I'd ask where you found them but my hardhat doesnt have those slots anyhow.

This us what I have on my hard hat at work. It gets the job done when I can't or don't want to pull out the one on my belt.

http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/u...i-pocket-light

They also make a LED one.

Deleted double post
    Last edited by nukedave; 04-17-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Interesting clip, but seemingly not widely available outside Oz. One link I could find is this: http://www.firetrader.com.au/prod270.htm , but it seems to be for a 4-AA light, which would be more rectangular than round. Please let us know how it works if you get one.

Last edited by Norm; 09-18-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Streamlight sidewinder compact II has the helmet attachement plate.

70 lumen Princeton Tec EOS Industrial. Use the stick on velcro and mount to front of hard hat. Also comes with cloth strap for regular (non job) use and a longer rubber strap for hard hats (this strap might not work with that hard hat in the pic but will work with a regular round hard hat).

Pelican lights were designed for this POU. Go to their website to find the Pelican StealthLite 2410 Recoil LED with Photoluminescence shroud. Yeah, the name and model is all that.

I bought this light for my grandmother, so she could actuate its large lever switch easily. Since the head of the light Glows in the Dark, she could find it easily on her bedside table. It's made of Xenoy - a tough polymer. Runs on four AAs, and I swapped the included Energizer Max alkalines with Energizer L91 lithiums, to which she commented that now the light will outlive her.

Pelican made light holders that slots into the tab as well, as well as universal clamps for firemen hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please pardon typos.
    Salving Light in a Bastion of Darkness

A little plug for Illuminationgear.com. Excellent customer service.

I found this thread a bit late. lots of good options here. I just ordered a surefire HL1 and figured i should be able to get it to connect it... one way or other. Work paid for it, so thats good... will post pics with how it works....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast