Which is the wiser choice? Zebralight minor headlamp model differences.

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,
Please help me decide between these two. I am stuck for a couple of reasons, mostly due to my lack of knowledge of batteries......... :confused:

The H31Fw can take a "lithium primary" (CR123A) OR a rechargeable (RCR123) "Li-ion"
The H31Fw's specs are listed here, and it has a slightly higher output than the H51Fw.

"H31Fw Floody Headlamp CR123 Neutral White"
High: H1 180 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 98 Lm (2 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
Medium: M1 35 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 19.6 Lm (23 hrs)
Low: L1 4.1 Lm (3.7 days) or L2 0.4 Lm (21 days)

Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Panasonic CR123A lithium batteries. Runtimes are usually much shorter with rechargeable RCR123 (16340) batteries, especially with protected 16340s that have higher discharge cut off voltage.

Battery: One
CR123A lithium primary or RCR123 Li-ion rechargeable. Batteries are not included in the package.

The H51Fw can take 3 different kinds of AA's: 1.5V AA (NiMH, lithium or alkaline) but it has a slightly lower output than the H31Fw
(according to the specs) and it also says that "14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported" It's specs are listed here:

"H51Fw AA Floody Headlamp Neutral White"
High: H1 164 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 82 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 115 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
Medium: M1 25 Lm (10.5 hrs) or M2 6.5 Lm (26 hrs)
Low: L1 2.0 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.16 Lm (16 days)

Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries. The 164, 115, 25, 6.5 and 2.0 Lumen output levels are current regulated. The 82 and 0.16 Lumen output levels are PWM generated.

Battery: One 1.5V AA (NiMH, lithium or alkaline). 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported. Batteries are not included in the package.

:duh2:
:duh2::duh2:
:duh2::duh2::duh2:
:duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2:
:duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2:
:duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2:
:duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2::duh2:
My three Questions:
1) What is better? A RCR123 Li-ion rechargeable? Or a AA rechargeable?

2) Do the specs on the H51Fw AA indicate that it does not support any kind of rechargeable battery at all?
3) Is the higher output of the H31Fw enough of a difference to choose it over the H51Fw?T

That pyramid did not come out how I wanted it to.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H51FW can run fine off rechargeable NIMH AA's, Alkalines, or non rechargeable lithium.

The H31FW runs off 123's

The output difference isn't that much and I like that the H51FW actually has a lower low.
But really it just depends if you want an AA light or a CR123 light.
In the case of most lights the CR123 would be significantly brighter for the size of the light (single 123 vs 2 AA form factor). In the case of zebra lights, that is clearly not the case.
A lot of people don't care for rechargeable 123's, but most love rechargeable AA's.

I'm going with the AA version because I want the light for camping and travel, and AA's are easier to come by and more commonly shared between other devices than CR123's. Plus its just damn impressive that they were able to get such a high efficiency and output off a single AA.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run mine off 14500's. They do just fine. So that is an option. I prefer the AA version based on battery variety.

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
The H51FW can run fine off rechargeable NIMH AA's, Alkalines, or non rechargeable lithium.

The H31FW runs off 123's

The output difference isn't that much and I like that the H51FW actually has a lower low.
But really it just depends if you want an AA light or a CR123 light.
In the case of most lights the CR123 would be significantly brighter for the size of the light (single 123 vs 2 AA form factor). In the case of zebra lights, that is clearly not the case.
A lot of people don't care for rechargeable 123's, but most love rechargeable AA's.

I'm going with the AA version because I want the light for camping and travel, and AA's are easier to come by and more commonly shared between other devices than CR123's. Plus its just damn impressive that they were able to get such a high efficiency and output off a single AA.

ok thanks, that's the kind of common sense I was looking for.
It isn't hard to find 123's in a hardware store but I agree, once you get further away from civilization.. probably not so easy to find.

I have one last question for Brasso:

"I run mine off 14500's. They do just fine. So that is an option. I prefer the AA version based on battery variety."

How are you using the 14500 Li-ions if it says in the product description that those are the only kind of battery it can't use.
Is yours a different model? Also, how do the 14500's fair against other kinds of rechargeable batteries (AA ones).

Edit: Ah, sorry. It just occured to me that you might be using the H31Fw, not the other one.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can go to the battery section and read through Li-ion basics, primers and the "smoke & fire" subforum. Li-ion rechargeables can be dangerous if not handled properly, and they significantly more work to use (ie, charge on a fireproof surface, do not leave unattended, check voltage frequently so it does not drop below certain levels, etc). The benefit is that the higher voltage (3.7+) and lower internal resistance means greater output at maximum (usually double vs 1.5v), for lights that support them. Not sure what the ZLs do. Outside of maximum mode, there's not much going to be much difference in the other modes. Total watt/hr power is about the same as NiMh 3.7x750 ~ 1.2x2000. Some lights can run the higher voltage batts (you'll void the warranty) - usually the risk is that if you run it too long at max, the emitter heat will kill the light.

I definitely go for AA version. So many back-up battery options and NiMh Eneloops are foolproof and great for any other AA device you're probably already using. BTW, double the lumen output will only look like a 40% increase to our eyes....

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
informative indeed, thank you reppans. I didn't notice the battery section, so i'll head over there and look around. thank again. bye.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the 51 until Zebralight updates the 31's circuit.
I have the H31Fw, and you have roughly 1 minute from when it starts dimming output [on selected mode] until it is dead in the water.
The 51Fw gives a longer warning period.

Both are xp-g's

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it helps I just ordered an H51C :) myself (my first luxeon light I have purchased in years). My only concern is that I will be exploring some caves, and it has a short runtime on high, but so does the CR123 version... I have been using Lithium rechargeables for some time and I think people are a little paranoid about them sometimes. I don't baby mine to maintain perfect charge levels to extend their life etc. It's not worth the hassle. I just charge them and store them, and top them off before use if going camping etc. I have been using the same Pila 150A's for like 7 years now, and have yet to have an issue, although I do suspect they are degraded a but. I have left them charging unattended though and that worries me. In fact last weekend I left for camping and forgot to grab one off the charger, hence the reason I only buy quality batteries and smart charger to minimize the risk should I do something like what happened last weekend. I never really check their voltages etc.

In fact I have very few AA lights anymore, just an old fenix L1P, and soon this zebralight, and a couple old headlamps that use 3xAAA, oh and a Preon High CRI 2xAAA. All the rest are CR123 or some sort of rechargeable lithium battery light, I find anything rechargeable gets the most use, no matter the type of battery. I was very tempted to get H31C instead, but after seeing my stepdad's H51W and what they were able to achieve off a single AA, I can't say I see a huge reason to go for the CR123 light, unless I was set on that battery type for commonality purposes, or like the profile of the headlamp better. I do wish they would make a headlamp similar to the SC80 where it could take a 123 or a AA. That would be amazing :)

Last edited:

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. I just ordered the H51Fw AA off the manufacturer's website. Can't wait! :devil:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Waxycap --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Hope you are as happy with your new ZebraLight H51 fw, as I am with mine.

:thumbsup:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, H51Fw should serve as an all around great utility light.
I love my H51Fc... Next on the budget list for me is SC80w and H600Fw.

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. I just ordered the H51Fw AA off the manufacturer's website. Can't wait! :devil:

Now buy yourself some AA Sanyo eneloops (the latest versions are rated for 1,500 cycles, but the 1,000 cycle ones are also good) AND a good charger (I like my Maha/Powerex C9000) and you'll be set for a long, long time :)

Cemoi

Enlightened
To waxycap: have your received your H51w yet?

To others: do you know how long does delivery to Europe take when ordering from ZL's website?
I've tried to ask using their contact form, but get a "Invalid page call - Error 1005".

Last edited:

vēer

Newly Enlightened
I used their contact form and while it worked I never heard back from them.
You have to register@zl, log in and then contact them, it will work and you will get response in timely manner ;)!