Clip installation issue

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I recently took possession of a ukmidnite anodized McGizmo long clip for installation on an orange cerakoted 18650 light I've been modifying extensively.

Everything fits great except for the screws. The diameter of the holes are every so slightly too large (the cerakote pooled a little in them allowing the screws to grip lightly, but not tight enough) and the screws are too long/the switch boot shroud is too narrow.

I'll definitely need to file down the screws a little, but I will also need some sort of backing plate to fit in there. I can probably make one but I recall having seen something like this done elsewhere, but cannot seem to find it now that I want it. Come to think of it, it probably comes with a clip anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'll probably end up cutting, drilling and tapping a thin piece of SS or Al to act as the backing plate. Only problem is it won;t be orange :-(

Here's the whole light for reference:

- Matt

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a Heli-Coil, I just checked and they make one in 4-40. A lot of work, probably but it may have the look you want when done.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a Heli-Coil, I just checked and they make one in 4-40. A lot of work, probably but it may have the look you want when done.

I have never heard of these. A quick google found this. Is that what you are refering to? Can you enlighten me on how they would apply to this situation? I'm guessing they are like a hollow screw that I'd tap and screw into the existing holes, and then the McGizmo clips would scew into the insides of them. The screws would still be quite long...seems a tad excessive, though provided they make them small enough could give a cleaner look when finished. No idea where to buy them from. I can see whyself going with my own suggestion (file and back plate).

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes they have them in the size you need. Yes you would still need to shorten the screws, I put a nut on mine then grind them down to the right length then remove the nut to chase the threads back straight. I only suggested the Heli-Coil as an option in case you dislike back plates as much as I do. You have the right procedure on how they install.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I might go for the heli-coils, because I think 2 small nuts will look nicer than a backplate. Is the 4-40 you referred to in your first post the size required for the McGizmo clips? Not to matter though - I just called my local nut and bolt place and they reckon they stock heli-coil gear so I'll pop in on the way home from work and grab everything I need.

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Argh no luck. Good bolt place that is :shakehead

The smallest nuts they had that would fit the bolts were so big they get in each others way, and they didn't have heli-coils small enough to fit the bolts either. I might have to try somewhere online.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
What light is that ?

Could be the threads are metric ???

The light has no threads on the mounting holes - they're just that...holes. As it stands the McGizmo clips are slightly too small to actually screw in, and far too long. Fixing the length is easy. I've got 2 more options in lieu of the first one I proposed (backing plate):

1) get some nuts that are the right size and just tighten the hell out them so the screws don't actually grip the mount holes or

2) get different screws.

I prefer 1 over 2, although those heli-coils and the right screws will do the job even better.

EDIT: Sorry, the light is a no name stainless steel host I got cheap. I've completely gutted it and all internals are new.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

The screws are not fully tightened in yet, and I will file them down a little bit more but the fit is perfect. For the record they are M3 sized button head socket screws. I got 4 in plain stainless steel and 4 in black stainless steel. The M3 thread is slightly thicker than the McGizmo screw threads, and of a much finer pitch so you get more turns for the same depth. These also use a slightly larger socket. Other than that they look identical, and for my purposes at least work exceptionally well.

The host had it's 2 mount holes threaded as well obviously. Total cost of fix was $2 :)

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice fix. I wasn't sure if going up on the screw size would look right but it seems to have worked out very well, I like.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite the screw size being slightly bigger you'll notice the new screw heads are actually smaller. Not massively so, but I do like it.

seahunt

Enlightened
There are available on the bay, 'thin nuts'.
I used 4x40 size and thinned them slightly
more with Exato filing stick. Worked well and
did not have to make a backing plate.
Chuck