Best type of lighting for headlamp?

LiteMyNite

Newly Enlightened
Hi, can anyone give me their opinion on what is the best type of lighting to use for headlamps? Incandescent, halogen, LED? I'd mainly be using it for camping.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
LED. No doubt.
Far more efficient than Incandescent and halogen lamps, with better runtimes, often smaller packages and more light. You wanna might choose a headlamp with a neutral white or warm white color temperature. Neutral and Warm color temperatures are much better than cool-white while camping.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely agree. Go with a modern, premium LED headlamp from Spark or Zebralight. If you get a Zebralight H51 or H31 model you can get one with a high CRI emitter, which makes them that much more pleasant to use. I have yet to see a Princeton, Brunton, Black Diamond, etc. unit that beats my Spark or Zebralight for size, output, and price.

In terms of lighting quality, nothing beats an incan, but the size, weight, and run time issues make them so problematic, and modern LED lights particularly with HCRI emitters, are 90% as good and far more efficient and reliable.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you see yourself mostly doing tasks, finding things at hand, hanging out, cooking, etc, then you probably don't need much light at all but need light of a good quality (neutral and high CRI.... flood)
If you see yourself running around in the dark of night having emergencies, lost party members and heart stopping adventures then you probably need a bright light and lots of throw.

My goal is usually to not have an adventure. I usually succeed in doing things that a fair percentage of people would not consider doing and doing them Anti-climactically, carefully, without having an adventure. -That is the goal anyway.

Flood or floody, neutral or high Color Rendering Index light rocks for getting things done precisely with ease, whether it's an omelet, a bandage, a knot, pest extraction (ticks for instance), or just reading a bed time story.

Last edited:

Latest posts