I need a really high powered flashlight

MissHailey

Newly Enlightened
A really high powered flashlight to take with me on a camping/hiking trip, any suggestions?:wave:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi MissHaley, welcome to the CPF how much you want to expend? Handlight or headlamp? What kind of battery you want to use?

I will recomend you a headlamp powered by AA

I can recomend you three brands, Fenix, Zebralight and Spark

SFMI4UT

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I need...

Actually, the best thing I've found for camping are dim lights, as in sub-, or single digit, lumen lights. They'll all also have a hundred plus lumens too, but you won't need it unless you're exceptionally paranoid.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I need...

I have several favorite camping lights depending on the type of trip. Sometimes I hike it all in, so I like keeping things light. Other times when weight is not an issue I bring the bigger stuff for fun.

My favorites:

Quark AA (single AA light)
Quark AA2 (2 x AA light)
Zebralight H501w (all flood headlight on one AA)
Zebralight H51w (headlight with spot and flood on a single AA)
Olight M21X (2 x CR123 light or 1 x 18650 Li-ion rechargeable battery...very bright with great throw for its size.)

I have other favorites. But, the list is already getting long, and I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. If I could only have two lights then I'd go with the Quark AA handheld and the Zebralight H501w headlight. Zebralight is about to come out with a new & improved version of the H501 called the H502. It's rumored to be released next month. Both of these lights are on the Flashaholics "Must Have" list for a reason. Here's a link to that list - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ot-Must-Have-quot-List-Cast-your-vote!-PART-2

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A really high powered flashlight to take with me on a camping/hiking trip, any suggestions?:wave:

High powered is not an easy term to use to select a light, as that is very subjective and, very relative.

That you want it to be high powered IMPLIES that your current light(s) are too dim, and/or that your camping will involve the need to see more than say a camp lantern would show, or finding the latrine would require?

How far away do you need to be able to spot things at?

Do you need to light up the area around you, or, project a far reaching beam off into the night?

A flood light, or floody beam, lights up a wide area, and a spot or search type light projects a smaller patch of light far away from you, but close up, only provides a small bright circle, etc.

If you want to go from a tent to the bathroom, etc, at 3 AM, you typically just need enough light to not trip on things/find the tent zipper, etc....and a really bright output would startle your fellow campers from their slumber like a "Close Encounters" event, etc.... a bad idea.

For hiking...at night, you need flood to be able to take in the terrain and avoid snakes, roots, etc...as well as be able to tel where the trail might be going/not miss a split/land mark, etc....and more light can help you actually enjoy the scenery you are hiking through.

REALLY bright lights can be heavier...not great for hiking typically, but some pretty damn bright little lights can work great.

Right now, I don't know if you just want a big 'ol monster light that will impress your friends/fry bear retina, or something that will allow you to get to the campfire and bathroom areas w/o falling into a hole, etc.

:D

jalal20

Enlightened
Really High Powered? The TM11 and now its on sale at Gunsafari, Check it out at CPFMP Dealers page

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

A really high powered flashlight drains the batteries really fast. Like you will be in the dark within 30 minutes or less!!!
You sure you want to lug lots of batteries on a camping trip?

Think carefully about what batteries you use.
The TM11 uses non standard (outside of CPF) 18650 batteries. You probably can not recharge them at camp. Or buy replacements locally.

2AA/4AA is probably your best choice.
Neutral tint (sometimes called warm) is better than cool white for this application.
Fenix LD40 is a 4AA neutral tinted light specially designed for the outdoors.
Fenix LD25 2AA is another neutral tinted light for outdoor use.
Neutral-white Quark MiNi AA²

It might help if we have an idea of what lights you have now so we have a reference point of what you consider inadequate. (A minimaglite? A plastic 2D? Your cellphone?)

Combine that with a headlamp. Maybe some kind of camping lantern/area light.
Definately a pocketable backup light in case the batteries in your main light dies while hiking.

Samy

Enlightened
Do you have any battery requirements? I recently have taken my Zebralight SC600 light on 2 camping trips and that big floody beam was perfect. Only downside is that you need 18650's. I'm not a fan of throwers, and hardly used my Fenix TK41 the whole time.

cheers

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
Think carefully about what batteries you use.
The TM11 uses non standard (outside of CPF) 18650 batteries. You probably can not recharge them at camp. Or buy replacements locally.

Agreed on thinking carefully on what batteries you have to use on certain lights.

That said, the TM11 also works on CR123 in addition to 18650 batteries. Right now I'm waiting for my Redilast 18650's to show up in the mail (hopefully today) but I've been using 4 x CR123 Surefire batteries and the TM11 is still extremely bright and very usable. I've even tried it with just 2 x CR123's and it also worked great. I would probably blow through the batteries by doing this on the max setting, but the point is the light was still very usable with CR123's which might be slightly bit more common or 'standard' compared to a 18650.

If you're going to be camping or out away from a steady supply of AC/DC power, either take a bunch of batteries with you and use common batteries, or get a solar panel and battery charger that plugs into it (usually through a DC plug, so you can also charge from your car) and you'll always have fresh batteries.