PK Design Lab

Thread: Halogen Flood Installation Question

Default Halogen Flood Installation Question

I have a 500w halogen floodlight which I'm about to install. It's supposed to be a wall unit mounted like this:

Is there any reason why I can't install it under the eaves like this:

The manufacturer website, brochure, install instructions etc. specify "wall mount", but there is no warning against soffit mounting either.

Opinions on the internet are vague. I see instructions like "don't mount floodlights sideways", but no explanation.

What do you think?

Default Re: Halogen Flood Installation Question

should be ok, except maybe water entrance points. lamp position is important when horizontal as opposed to end up, which those halogens don't deal well with. the heat causes the contact points and ceramic to degrade.
    if your not wearing a #12 welding screen than it ain't bright enough! "Hand-Sun H.I.D." 55w & 75w(for sale), Rocky 3w LED, Stanley 109 35w mod'd, Maxa-Beam Gen II, 55w hid/100w incan Vector Twin, 400w MH long arc, 100w MH mid arc. Amondotech n30.

Default Re: Halogen Flood Installation Question

Quote Originally Posted by FRITZHID View Post
    should be ok, except maybe water entrance points.
    Well the main reason I wanted mount it on the eaves was to protect it from water. It's an old house with substantial eaves, so it should be fine. My main concern was with heat, but obviously the mount dictates the nearest surface, so it's either close to the wall or close to the eaves. Six of one and half a dozen of the other I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by FRITZHID View Post
    lamp position is important when horizontal as opposed to end up, which those halogens don't deal well with. the heat causes the contact points and ceramic to degrade.
    Ah, that makes sense.
    Last edited by Oubadah; 04-12-2012 at 11:31 PM.