Has any here hit the 50,000 hour led life span?

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened
Id like to see if reaching that number before you buy another light due to better technology or what ever the case may be is likely.

spc smith

Enlightened
Rasto36620,

The only thing that's really going to blow the newer LED's is the incorrect use of batteries not suitable for a particular lights voltage. Otherwise general day to day every day carry usage (Not weapon recoil for some lights) and proper battery application will provide you an LED light for a long time to use for 10-20 years if not more=)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id like to see if reaching that number before you buy another light due to better technology or what ever the case may be is likely.

It seems unlikely. 2000 consecutive 24-hour days of use, or 5.7 years solid. At rated current. Most people are not interested in such tests. And that isn't the life-span. LEDs are rated to 70% brightness loss. So at (xthousand) hours the LED is 30% dimmer.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Yeah, the light will likely die of mechanical failure, or you'll lose it, or most likely, you just want to give it away and get something newer, trendier, brighter, etc. An LED failure is probably last on the list of problems that will do your light in.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worry about how many on/off cycles clicky switches will take.
The clicky is probably the first flashlight part that will fail (Not counting the battery), but I don't know of a good standardized test that has been done to compare failure rates of the systems in a light. Arguing from first principles and barring unusual events, you'll lose:

Clicky switch
O-rings
Contact points
Capacitors
Solder joints

Long before the LED dims from age.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LEDs in a few of my Inova X5 flashlights failed within a month or so. I suspect that the 55-lumen rating implies that they were being overdriven. The replacement version X5 was rated for a maximum of 31 lumens.

I have had several LED night lights which grew dim in less than 2 years use.

ledmitter

Enlightened
I think that white LEDs are rated for 50,000 hours down to 50% brightness. They should continue to work after that time, but at still ever decreasing brightness. So at 100,000 hours, you're looking at 25% brightness.

I wonder what the CREE XML's lumen deterioration rating is after just 1,000 hours. These LED's are being driven pretty hard in many of these lights with questionable heat sinking compared to what they using in the lab.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hold on a little longer, I'm working on it as fast as I can....

:devil:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Some of the older hands here might recall reports of the LuxV exhibiting a visible decrease in brightness after as little as 500 hours of use. Apparently those were driven hard enough to get HOT in some lights.

Edit: And if anyone expects 50,000 hours of runtime from LEDs at 'CPF' drive levels, I have a 500,000 hours MTBF (i.e. 57 years) hard drive to sell them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get bored or my flashlights as soon as a new emitter shows lol.
The only led that gets around the clock use is the glow mode on my PALight and I've only had them a month :(
Sorry I'm not more help

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Some of the older hands here might recall reports of the LuxV exhibiting a visible decrease in brightness after as little as 500 hours of use. Apparently those were driven hard enough to get HOT in some lights.

Edit: And if anyone expects 50,000 hours of runtime from LEDs at 'CPF' drive levels, I have a 500,000 hours MTBF (i.e. 57 years) hard drive to sell them. :rolleyes:

Those 500,000 MTBF hard drives are amazing too, the sales department for the Brooklyn Bridge used them exclusively.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
In later years after the led house lighting is old news we'll have more examples of 50,000+ hr led performance... As much as I run my H51Fc at low and medium I'm more concerned with the 200,000 cycle rating on the switch. Also, I imagine that under driven leds will go much further than 50,000 hrs before 30 percent decline, surely it has more to do w temp and quantities of electrons and less to do w time.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
A member here ran his SC60w for like 6 months straight. He had 5000 hours I think. I don't think it was a full brightness, but it's still a lot of use.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I have a set of Ikea Dioder light strips (which use power LEDs) that currently have just over 8,000 hours of runtime on them; no issues thus far. I also have ten cheapie Feit LED night lights which use 5mm LEDs and have run somewhere over 15,000 hours, no change in those either.

entercpf

Newly Enlightened
I want to see some solid numbers too, not extrapolated crap number guessing. As mentioned before hard drives have 0.5-1 million hours MTBF, are we expecting a 1 million hours life? ofcourse not.

I never liked the idea of making the led module not replaceable.