New Olight X6 Marauder

awenta

Enlightened
I remember this being mentioned months ago. I was on the olight website recently and it wasn't there. Went on today to double check something and there it was.

awenta

Enlightened
Oops, thats what I get for watching tv and posting. Meant to post this in LED flashlights not LED. Can it be moved? Thanks.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that if Cree introduces a LED that uses the 'xm' package, but uses the same process/design as the new xt-e, say 3mm^2 size and capable of 1,500 initial emitter lumens, and costs less too, the xm-l just became obsolete.
One could take 5 of these, put out 10% more light than this, and have superior throw.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little surprised their is not more interest in this light. Am I missing something? Looks like great form factor and tons of spill and throw.

PayBack

Enlightened
I'm a little surprised their is not more interest in this light. Am I missing something? Looks like great form factor and tons of spill and throw.

So am I. It's advertised on a number dealers sites now, yet very few posts about it. Perhaps it's the price?

awenta

Enlightened
I dont think the price is that bad considering what you get from SF for just a bit less.

I like that you dont have to hold the battery if it isnt necessary, makes it much lighter. And you can plug this thing into an outlet.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The deal breaker for me on this light is the battery pack. What happens if the pack dies ?

I would have jumped on this if the battery pack had user replaceable cells

awenta

Enlightened
The deal breaker for me on this light is the battery pack. What happens if the pack dies ?

I would have jumped on this if the battery pack had user replaceable cells

+1 That is a bit dissapointing. They did the same thing on their SR90. But that pack is just 6 18650 IIRC. They still charge ~90$ for a new pack though. I'd rather have that worth in 18650s. At lest I can use them elsewhere as thats not a light that gets used often.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery pack is a plus for me - looks like a great clip, should make the light a breeze to handle. Being able to run this light on 12 volts should make the battery issue a mute point. Just had my Mac's EDC XML out, lights up and throws tons. Can't imagine 6 of them. :eek: Looking forward to the 1st review.

PayBack

Enlightened
What happens if the battery pack dies? Ummm you replace it? The battery pack is easily unplugged, so I don't see the problem. IIRC they went this way because a pack with 6 or whatever 18650's wouldn't have the same runtime.

The only thing holding me back is my $70 HID... It only does about 3500 lumens but would out throw this and with the makeshift press'n'seal defuser puts out enough light for closer range. So I'm not sure if I need.. well OK I don't need it, but want it, enough.

But then here's where the tethered battery is an advantage. This light is lighter than my HID, can run off my car or goal zero battery, or a second battery which surely will be an accessory at some stage.

utlgoa

Enlightened
I would love to see how the X6 compares to the Trustfire TR-J18 that has seven Cree XML's and is powered by three 26650 batteries.

Oh yeah, and it only costs $75.00.

steved3

Newly Enlightened
Might be the tethered battery pack that is off putting.

The battery pack can be attached to the light if you don't want to clip it on your belt. Insulator bushings should be used to help with the heat issues.

sx6-c.jpg

sx6-b.jpg

x6x2.jpg

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I think you saved me some money... it seems it drops to 3500 lumens almost straight away? So my $70 HID out throws it and has the same output? Ok it can't strobe or run at lower output but I'd be getting this for the higher output anyway... hmmmmm...
Depends on ambient cooling. In a warm environment indoors with no cooling, mine thermal-regulated down to a stabilized ~3500 estimated lumens, but it took nearly 20 mins to do so. I suspect in most outdoor environments where this is at least some breeze (or you are carrying it), it should stay >4500 lumens for the full run.

But yes, these lumen ratings are consistent with ~35-50W HIDs in terms of overall output.

PayBack

Enlightened
Stop trying to talk me into it!! I know that's what you're doing.... I never suspected you were one of the voices I hear telling me to buy lights, but it's all starting to make sense! Buy it PB, Buy it... get out of my head!

As an aside, thanks for all the reviews, output comparison graphs and alternating beamshot gifs. Between you and goingprepared's 100 yard tree comparisons there should be no surprises... which is why I'm likely to pass on the TM11 and go for an X10 on my "impress the uniforms Police Ride-Along" For an "older" :) light the X10 stands up well at 100+ yards compared to a 3 celled Tiny Monster.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Stop trying to talk me into it!! I know that's what you're doing....
Hardly :) - just wanted to make sure readers of this thread knew what to expect in practical use (i.e., "almost straight away" is more like over 20 mins, and only in the worst case scenario). I'm glad you find the detailed reviews useful, but I know it's also a lot of info for people to wade through, so just wanted to make sure passer-bys here knew the gist of the review.

which is why I'm likely to pass on the TM11 and go for an X10 on my "impress the uniforms Police Ride-Along" For an "older" :) light the X10 stands up well at 100+ yards compared to a 3 celled Tiny Monster.
Glad the reviews were helpful in making a decision. Like many ~700-800 lumen XM-L lights, the X10 does a very serviceable job lighting up ~100 yards. That may not really show up in the photos, since it is hard to get a camera setting that accurately matches what the eye sees.

PayBack

Enlightened
Hardly :) - just wanted to make sure readers of this thread knew what to expect in practical use (i.e., "almost straight away" is more like over 20 mins, and only in the worst case scenario). I'm glad you find the detailed reviews useful, but I know it's also a lot of info for people to wade through, so just wanted to make sure passer-bys here knew the gist of the review.

Sorry the first part of my post was a poor attempt at humor :fail: I won't give up my day job!

Last edited: