• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Matterhorn Li-Ion Compatibility

jag-engr

Enlightened
I have an HAIII Peak Matterhorn with three 5mm LEDs. On the back of the bezel there is an H stamped in the sodder, which I would assume means High Power.

Can I run Li-Ion cells in this light, or will I fry the circuit doing that?

Just wondering...

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not recommended to run Li-Ion in the Peaks with the 5mm LEDs ....

Pretty sure I saw a post from Curt a long time ago indicating that the driver circuit was different than that used for the models with "power-LEDs".

Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened
I also believe it is not a good idea. I think I read it degrades the phosphor coating much more rapidly leaving you with a blueish beam.
OTOH, I run a "H" single led Matterhorn head on a QTC 10180 body because it gives me my smallest light. I only use ir at low output and have not had any problems. I did try it on high output once for a few seconds and it did not seem any brighter, to me, than running the head on a AAA alky.

jag-engr

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I won't do it...

I was considering getting a AAA light that takes Li-Ion cells, and I use the Matterhorn as a "spare battery carrier", so I was wondering if it was a good idea to drop a Li-Ion in there. I think I'll stick with Eneloops.

jorgen

Enlightened
Thank you archimedes, I enjoyed and learned something reading it.

Latest posts