Fenix E01 not turning on

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
I've had my E01 for roughly a year now, and it turn on anymore. I inspected the barrel and put in a fresh AAA battery. I also cleaned off the contacts on the head as well. It doesn't seem to help. Anyone know what's going on?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my E01 for roughly a year now, and it turn on anymore. I inspected the barrel and put in a fresh AAA battery. I also cleaned off the contacts on the head as well. It doesn't seem to help. Anyone know what's going on?

Try with some other quality AAA, you might have some dead ones ?

Are you sure the spring is still in the tube ?

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
well i just used a new AAA from rayovac that i bought earlier this year. The spring is still in there as well.

I cleaned off the contacts as best as I could.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
no guarante this will work ( IIRC it did help my ARC AAA-P) have you considered inserting a small piece of aluminium foil at the tail end of the E01?

alantch

Enlightened
Connect 2 wires from an AAA battery to the head directly. This will let you know immediately whether it's due to the head or the batt tube.

LiuChuan

Newly Enlightened
Use a wire instead of the barrel to link the negative of the battery with the pcb so you can find where the problem is.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
New battery tried and you cleaned the contacts, that's about it for the basics.
Best part about having a cheap light die?
It's cheap.

Buy 2 more!

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
The light even though its simple in its construction does have some electronics and it is possible that some moisture or possibly battery leakage may have damaged the light. If so then the above advice maybe the best- buy two more. Could send it back to fenix if its still under warranty.

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
I connected two wires from the battery to the head and it does indeed work. So I guess there's some kind of connection issue.

Can someone explain the foil trick to me?

LiuChuan

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the spring became too short to maintain the circuit,so you need to put some metal between the battery and the spring to fill the gap. Good luck.

alantch

Enlightened
I have the same issue from time to time and it's always a contact issue. Try the below :
Use a small wire and make one end into a hook and pull the spring out. Clean the inside of the tube as best you can, then lengthen the spring slightly by pulling on it's ends and reinsert into the tube. Also clean the edge / lip of the batt tube. Hope this helps.

tolkaze

Enlightened
I had a similar problem with my QMini CR2, I think what happened is that I tightened it too much, or too often, and it has cut a groove into the circuit board. Have a close look at the circuit board, especially near the edge. It is possible that you may have cut through the conductive material at the edge. I haven't found a fix yet, but i'm thinking a dab of solder near the edges may give me a few more weeks use until a replacement can come through

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
i cleaned it out and tried to extend the spring a bit (which was a pain in the ***). still no luck.

At one point, the battery was starting to short so I had to remove it ASAP.

I bought the light at REI, so perhaps I can just get it exchanged for a new one, rather than deal with messing it up even further.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Check the "wings" on the circuit board, and see if the copper is missing. If it is, that's your problem. The one weakpoint of twisties. Depending on if theres enough copper left, you can try putting a little solder on there, and hope it works.

Worst case, if they won't take it back, I'll buy it off you for a couple bucks.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.

Turns out I left an old alkaline in there and it leaked on the spring. The battery seemed fine, but the spring tip had corroded. I took it out with surgical tweezers (a small screwdriver can do it, but you'll likely scratch the inside of the tube). Then I took some sandpaper to the corroded spring tip and all is well.

E01's are good vampires, but cleaning the spring is an annoyance, so I threw away the 50 or so old cells that kept piling up for death row and decided to keep a good NiMh in my E0. The batteries last so long in there that I couldn't even remember when I put that already dead battery in.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Take out the spring then use a long awl or something with a point....scrape the bottom of the tube where the widest part of the bottom of the spring makes contact with the tube. If the head works when you use the battery wire method, then you have a grounding problem. I fixed my light this way.
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.

Turns out I left an old alkaline in there and it leaked on the spring. The battery seemed fine, but the spring tip had corroded. I took it out with surgical tweezers (a small screwdriver can do it, but you'll likely scratch the inside of the tube). Then I took some sandpaper to the corroded spring tip and all is well.

E01's are good vampires, but cleaning the spring is an annoyance, so I threw away the 50 or so old cells that kept piling up for death row and decided to keep a good NiMh in my E0. The batteries last so long in there that I couldn't even remember when I put that already dead battery in.