Want a torch that is obnoxiously bright.

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
I had a P7 lenser and a ultrafire XML t6, they both perform well but I want something that over performs, something that is amazingly bright that will make people say wow if the see it.

I have seen a Lenser X21 which has this wow factor, make be a little large and maybe tad pricey, is there anything else I should look at, how bright is a TK 41?

Budget around £100 so that $160ish dollars give or take a bit.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Provided that you are only going to use it for the "wow" factor and nothing rough-use or critical tasks...

DRY 3*XM-L

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Well, if its still available, MP had a sales thread for the Nitecore TM11 for around 150$....thats about as bright and compact as you will find. If 2000 lumens isnt enough, then, I dont know what to tell you....LOL!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
ebay - 65w HID

unlike most ebay lights the 6000lm are what you get and it is obnoxiously bright.

CORRECTION: I've just tested my 65w HID and it is still the brightest torch I have but it came in at 3560lm so lower than specified, but that is still 3560lm!

Last edited:

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
How does the TK70 compare? I could stretch budget to that, heard good things about it.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are referring between the TK70 and 65w HID. The HID wins in both lux and lumens. The TK70 is still an impressive light and definitely has the wow factor.

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
What's the difference between hids and LEDs, I've heard they burn out quicker, take time to heat up, can't switch off and on quick, etc.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the difference between hids and LEDs, I've heard they burn out quicker, take time to heat up, can't switch off and on quick, etc.
Pretty much that. HID has a small source size, so a given reflector diameter throws farther with HID than with LED. HID wins in output per dollar over about the 10W mark, but most are "35W" (23 to 35W real watts) at minimum.

davyro

Enlightened
Compared to your previous lights you've had & nearly every other one mentioned apart from a HID you could buy a dereelight DBS T its less than £100 & its a brilliant thrower it takes 2x123 batteries so its quite small as well,you can get extensions for more batteries & longer runtimes as well.They're really well built as well.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If WOW is the goal, the DRY is hard to beat for ~$68, At the PF18 we just had (Photon Fest), it was measured at 3,300 lumens OTF...and, visually, shined at targets/into fields, etc...it was brighter than the TM11 by a good margin.

If you want the WOW to be lighting up a room of around a campfire, it would be hard to beat.

If your WOW is about throw, as in REACHING a distant target with a smaller, more concentrated beam of light, rather than flooding a large area like daylight, etc...then other lights will work better, including the afore mentioned HID's.

The WOW factor is reduced if the light LOOKS like it SHOULD be powerful.

It is increased if its a SURPRISE.

I used my Elektrolumens Big Brute (Which is, ironically, only about a 6-7" long light) on a job site I was inspecting where there was no power. The contractor I was working with there was so impressed with it and the way it lit up the entire area by simply tail-standing it, he wanted me to get him one too....NOW!!!!

I've had similar mind-warp effects on people with the 4" ZL SC600/5" Klarus XT11, they are blown away by how that small a light is so powerful.

If I take out the SR90 or TK70, etc...they EXPECT it to be powerful, because it LOOKS powerful, and while they are STILL blown away by HOW powerful they are...its mitigated nonetheless by the appearance of the light itself.

For me at least, I might stick a pocket sized light in my pocket and take it along "Just in case".

The larger lights, well, you really need to be able to justify lugging them around randomly.

Its like going out to dinner with friends with a small point and shoot in your pocket, so if no "event" occurs to take a pic of...no one knew you had it, and, you had no inconvenience carrying it...

..VS showing up for dinner with SLR's and tripods, reflector lighting, etc...because if there's no obvious pic opportunity, you appear a bit crazier.

:D

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to your previous lights you've had & nearly every other one mentioned apart from a HID you could buy a dereelight DBS T its less than £100 & its a brilliant thrower it takes 2x123 batteries so its quite small as well,you can get extensions for more batteries & longer runtimes as well.They're really well built as well.
If it is just for WOW get the Dereelight aspheric. It is not a practical torch as it does not have spill. Beamshot here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...BS-T-XR-E-R2-EZ900-Aspheric-First-Impressions
Note: The Dereelight comes either 1*18650 OR 2*CR123A. You have to decide what batteries you use before you buy.