"Carbon bar" gimmick for penlight

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I ran across a new (at least to me) gimmick for switching on a flashlight today at a Zeller's (soon to be extinct chain to be replaced by Target). It was a 5 mm "angry blue white" LED AAA penlight but instead of a click switch, the packaging said to "Touch the carbon bars" - bridging a fingertip across two (evidently conductive) plastic strips on the top of the light switched it on, and removing turns it off.

Can anyone see the drawback? Yes, it relies on a conductive fingertip - it won't switch on if you're wearing gloves.

It was $10 and not as "ultrabright" as the packaging promised; though I thought it was an unusual control method, the novelty wasn't worth the money to me. The brand name was "ILINE" but I can't find anything on a quick Google search.

Bill

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw a similar switch design on a light at BigLots it was like an under counter tap light. Personally I don't like such
lights because they are electrically sensitive and static electricity may turn them on/off or even damage the circuit perhaps. If you put it in your pocket with change a quarter across the contacts could turn it on.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, basically, it's an electronic switch with nothing to protect the switch from shorting?

That sounds just as useful as this...

DVD-rewinder.jpg